+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LIFE ADVICE pls?! International student looking to transfer

stpham97

Oct 23, 2016
Hi guys,

Right now I have 2 scenarios for my future, which are:

1. Transfer to a university in Canada (preferably Manitoba), get a bachelor's, get a PGWP and work as a baker (NOC type B) for one year, hopefully I will have a better shot at immigrating to Canada. I will be qualified to apply to MPNP 3 years from now

2. Finish my bachelor's in the United States (I'm a sophomore), then apply for culinary arts school (some 2 year program) in Canada. After that, I can get a PGWP to work as a baker. I will be qualified to apply at least 5 years from now.

The thing is, I really like my current college in the US. I'm afraid that leaving it will not be beneficial to my well being. On the other hand, I really like Canada for its straightforward immigration progress, unlike the US who has been anti-immigration all along :mad:. With the next election coming to an end, I don't know if the US is still the optimal choice. Even if Hillary gets elected, I doubt that immigration is gonna be made easier for international students like me (from Vietnam). :(

I'm kinda leaning on option 2. However, I know that being a baker does not even need a culinary arts diploma, so I'll be fine with a bachelors and some current part-time work in my college's bakery. Also, option 2 mean it'll take more time till I can actually get on the applications. I'm afraid that requirements then will be two stringent then and Canada is going to tighten immigration (Do you think it'll happen? Am I too paranoid about this?)

Seriously, I just want to be in Canada but there are so many things/people that I love here at my US college. DO you think I should let go?

stpham97

Oct 23, 2016
Ok to clarify:

1. More risk taking but sooner. Risks include not all credits transfer, job as a baker will not be in demand, etc

2. Safer to a certain extent as I can hone my skills in the bakery while I'm still in school. Staying at my US college gives me a more comfortable feeling than getting out of my comfort zone. Once out of college, I can apply to culinary arts school in Canada. Maybe after I can even get a job as a cook, which supposedly is a more-in-demand career. However, it will take a long time. Basically, I'm just scared that Canada will tighten its policies any day, even if it's just 5 years from now.

What do you guys think?