+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Level Of Education

Marc1

May 28, 2020
Hello Everyone!

I am currently in a 2 years - Diploma in Electrical Engineering Technician. I have already completed 3 levels of this program. And I will be upgrading to a 3 years - Advanced Diploma next winter with the same program. I am allowed to have an advanced admission into second year of the Advanced Diploma - Electrical Engineering Technology and I don't have to start over the program, my credits will be transferred. After I graduate the technology, I will be eligible to graduate with both Diplomas (As my program coordinator said), which means I will be having:
+ 2 years - Diploma of Electrical Engineering Technician
+ 3 years - Advanced Diploma of Electrical Engineering Technology

However, my question is:
1/ Does it count as 'Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees' when applying Express Entry?

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
If you end up with two separate diplomas, transcripts, etc. it will likely count. If you just transfer your credits from one program to another and only finish with one diploma it will not.

Marc1

May 28, 2020
Only the ECA Oracle can tell you for sure. Would you change your education plan if you didn't get credit for two or more . . . ?
This is just my concern toward it. I have already been changed of my education plan. I decided to switch because I am interested in Co-op of the Advanced Diploma. I will have 2 options to go. One is to continue my study in University (No Co-op but a bachelor). The other one is to study Advanced Diploma to get experience through co-op but no bachelor.

Marc1

May 28, 2020
I will end up with two separate diploma and one of them is three years program. I don’t know if that counted.

Fields4

Star Member
Jul 21, 2020
I will end up with two separate diploma and one of them is three years program. I don’t know if that counted.
I had the same issue. I did a diploma for 2 years and got credits transferred to bachelor's degree extra 2 years.

So if you are transferring your credits to advanced diploma it will be less than 3 years in actuality.

Fields4

Star Member
Jul 21, 2020
I had the same issue. I did a diploma for 2 years and got credits transferred to bachelor's degree extra 2 years.

So if you are transferring your credits to advanced diploma it will be less than 3 years in actuality.
As you said that you will be transfering to second year that means you'll only spend 2 more years which doesn't come under 3 years

Marc1

May 28, 2020
Do they actually account the length of study? Or the level of education??? I mean If I graduated with an Advanced Diploma. It will count as three year program.

Marc1

May 28, 2020

But what do you acquire for your level of education? Two-year diploma?? That would be ridiculous.. If you graduate with a bachelor regardless how long you studied. That should be counted as a three year program. Length only matters when dealing with PGWP not Express Entry. It is the Level of Education that counts.

Fields4

Star Member
Jul 21, 2020
But what do you acquire for your level of education? Two-year diploma?? That would be ridiculous.. If you graduate with a bachelor regardless how long you studied. That should be counted as a three year program. Length only matters when dealing with PGWP not Express Entry. It is the Level of Education that counts.
I used bachelor's as it's the highest I have and put diploma in personal history. As we can only claim points for the highest level of education. Even if If I have two different certificates and transcripts it still counts as 1 program that's bachelor's 4 years. That's why I couldn't use the two or more program option

Marc1

May 28, 2020
I used bachelor's as it's the highest I have and put diploma in personal history. As we can only claim points for the highest level of education. Even if If I have two different certificates and transcripts it still counts as 1 program that's bachelor's 4 years. That's why I couldn't use the two or more program option
So your case is that you have a 2 years Diploma at a College and then continue your study at University to get a bachelor. Then you were acquired for a bachelor's degree option. Am I correct? As the EE shown, one must be a program of three years, so you did only 2 years program for both credentials. So I assume that you opted for Bachelor's Degree

Last edited:

Fields4

Star Member
Jul 21, 2020
So your case is that you have a 2 years Diploma at a College and then continue your study at University to get a bachelor. Then you were acquired for a bachelor's degree option. Am I correct? As the EE shown, one must be a program of three years, so you did only 2 years program for both credentials. So I assume that you opted for Bachelor's Degree
I completed the diploma got graduated and transferred to different university for bachelor's. So I spent 2 years and finished it within 2 years including summer sems.

Marc1

May 28, 2020
I completed the diploma got graduated and transferred to different university for bachelor's. So I spent 2 years and finished it within 2 years including summer sems.
As you said, I can see that both of your programs are 2-years. In order to account for two or more certificate, one of your program must be a three-years program. Instead of doing diploma in college, you should do advanced diploma in college + bachelor's in university. So your case is not the same as mine.

My case is that I will be graduating with two separate credentials. One is two years program and one is a program of THREE YEARS. But my concern is that I will be completing both of these within only 4 years instead of 5 years because I got my credits transferred, so will it be accounted as two or more certificate?

And for clarification, may I ask you that, Which of your program is considered a three year program?

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Reiterating my earlier answer: if you get two separate diplomas and one was at least three years, you may qualify for the additional points. If you transferred credits from one program to another and ended up with only one diploma, you don't get the points.