+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Letter of reference

sangurpr

Feb 7, 2013
Hi Guys,
I am collecting the documents for my application. The letter from employer, does it have to be from my current employer or all the employers i have worked with in the past three years. Also do i need the letter from the employer if i have done a co-op with them in past three years.
thanks

Guacamole

Nov 20, 2012
You need a letter for every employer that will help you prove you have the 3 year necessary experience, and every letter has to meet the requirements, including a description of the job.

srionline117

Star Member
Dec 9, 2012
You need letter for experience in canada for past 3 years. If you worked in other country in past 3 years you no need to get employer letter for that period.

arbutus

Aug 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-Jun-12
Doc's Request.
28-Mar-13
AOR Received.
31-Jul-12
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
9-Apr-13
Med's Done....
10-Apr-13
So just to clarify - you don`t need to prove you have 3 years of experience (just 12 months), but for some reason it seems that you do need to submit reference letters from ALL the jobs you`ve had in Canada for the past 3 years.

I submitted a reference letter from my co-op employer which was in the 3 year window. I`m not actually sure how critical this is, but best to be on the safe side and submit it anyway. Better safe than sorry.

Really important, do make sure your reference letter (that you`re using to prove you have 12 months of skilled work experience post-graduation) outlines your duties and that those duties match with whatever NOC code you choose to declare (should be skill level 0, A or B).

anand_r

Jul 24, 2011
The employer's are not readily providing reference letters with job description in it, so I am a little hesitant in mentioning those part-time work on OCWP as it may confuse the Case Officer (experience mentioned, but no reference letter attached).

I am thinking to not mention these at all and submit instead. Is it advisable, will it be seen as a case of not-disclosing full information?

arbutus

Aug 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-Jun-12
Doc's Request.
28-Mar-13
AOR Received.
31-Jul-12
IELTS Request
sent with application
Med's Request
9-Apr-13
Med's Done....
10-Apr-13
Yeah, I would be super cautious about declaring everything they ask for; in my opinion the better option would be to declare your work experience and submit whatever reference letters you can get (they probably won't care about the lack of detail in these, but not listing all of your experiences could come back to haunt you).

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
anand_r said:
The employer's are not readily providing reference letters with job description in it, so I am a little hesitant in mentioning those part-time work on OCWP as it may confuse the Case Officer (experience mentioned, but no reference letter attached).

I am thinking to not mention these at all and submit instead. Is it advisable, will it be seen as a case of not-disclosing full information?
Do not withhold information. If you can obtain letters (even if they don't have ALL the required information) from these employers, great. If not, just write a letter of explanation. You have to disclose, but since they do not affect your eligibility, then a perfect letter is not so critical.