Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2010
Hello,
my immigration lawyers wanted me to write a letter of French Language Ability letter and submit this together with all my other documents for the Quebec Immigration.

In order to help out those who may have a difficulty writing such a letter, I have decided to paste it below:

I developed an interest in learning French when I was about 8 years old. My childhood friends were all immigrants from Algeria, Morocco, Cameroun, Tunisia and Côte d’Ivoire.
My friends would speak in French with each other often and this motivated me to want to learn the language. I had realized that it would be beneficial to learn French so that I could communicate with them. I found it to be a very beautiful language and I would learn phrases and words from my friends. In grade 7 at XXX School we had the choice to learn either French or German and I chose French since I had already developed a deep interest in the language.
We had 4 hours of French every week in primary school at beginner level, and in the first year we learned how to greet, say our names, ask for directions and improve our accent. In the second year we learned how to request for simple information, respond to simple instructions and read short stories. In the third year we would watch short French movies, short documentaries and discuss these in class.
While studying French in primary school, I would try to improve my French whenever I met with my friends. I would ask them to correct my grammar and teach me phrases that we did not learn in school.
When I started at XXXX (high school), I had 2 years of French classes at advanced intermediate level as part of my curriculum. These classes were taught once a week for about 4 hours and we had to read stories and then write a summary. We also watched French movies and learned about French culture, French cuisine, French colonies and French politics.
When I finished high school in 1999, I was able to have a decent conversation in French. I could comprehend most of what was being said and could easily participate in a discussion. I was told that my French language skills were very good as was my accent. My grammar needed improvement but I knew that I would be able to enhance and develop this skill if I kept speaking the language. I had some difficulty writing in French though, but could read French well.
Now almost 11 years later, I consider my French to be at a beginner level. My grammar is not as well as it used to be but I can easily introduce myself, talk about my family and ask for directions. If I start a conversation in French (which I do if I meet tourists from France) I can easily direct them to historical places and ask them where in France they are from. The tourists tell me that my French is understandable and are pleased to see my initiative to speak in French. I am confident that I will be able to improve my French within a year of stay in Montreal and upgrade these skills from beginner to intermediate level successfully.

Signed

Malmo