+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Letter of authorization from non accompanying parent for a minor

CanadaResident1

Star Member
Oct 12, 2015
Hi All,

My spouse and my son (minor) are planning to visit Canada for 6 months ( I am a Permanent Resident in Canada). Please advise if I need to give a letter of authorization for my son to travel with his mother to come to Canada to stay with me.

Thanks in advance.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
See here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/minors.asp

It is a sad world we all live in now given years ago I travelled many times alone with my children just with passports and yet now looking at this link seems overkill. Even more annoying if not ever asked for all the extra documentation.

Reactions: CanadaResident1

CanadaResident1

Star Member
Oct 12, 2015
Thank you for the reply.

I understand that the minor child travelling with one of their parents needs to carry an authorization letter from the other parent. My question is, is this letter needed even when the child is travelling abroad to meet the non accompanying parent. Apologies if I am overlooking the reply. I only want to be double sure of this.

Thank you in advance.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Yes, your minor child would need an authorization letter from you along with the other relevant documents in the link referenced by Bs65.

S/he would probably need this letter even at the departure airport in her/his home country

mitpat

Jul 10, 2018
Has anyone got a draft copy of the authorisation letter needed in following cases please ?
(1) Minor travelling with a step parent
(2) Minor travelling with one parent only
Thanks in advance.