+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Let's have an immigrant vote: Are you for or against the List of 38 occupations?

F

feras80

Option 1.. It's their country, and they have the right to do whatever they find useful for the economy. BTW my occupation is not in the list :D

ghiaskhan

Brown eyed girl said:
To adnan_hsn and rupeshhari - I respect your opinions (after all that is democracy) but I resent any implication that immigrants not on the 38 list are coming over there to claim state benefits. If I wanted to claim state benefits, I would stay in my home country (UK) where people expect the state to pay for everything for them - I would know because I am a welfare and benefits officer and the tricks people will come up with to avoid going out to work and claim incapacity is something unreal. But I have worked hard all my life, since leaving college (18 years ago) and am still studying towards a degree. And if I did come to Canada, I don't expect to be doing the same job I'm doing here; if I have to wait on tables or work as a check-out girl in a supermarket, to me that is an honest job because I am not stealing from anyone or hurting anyone. People who persevere and work hard in life get rewarded.

People immigrate for better life not for "state Benefits". Who will stand in long queues of immigration, wait for years with the sole objectve of achieving just state benefits. No country allows people with poor financial background to immigrate and depend upon the state. Even to get state benefits you have first to contribute towards national insurance to become eligable in an unforseen circumstance of unemployment..

I feel its a wrong concept that people move from one country to another just to get social benefits. No one will leave his dear ones, his relatives and the motherland where he has all his affiliations sice the day of his birth only for spending rest of his life as a dependant upon the state.

I agree there are many people from European Union and other well advanced states who are on the move to Canada, because there are better chances in Canada to grow. Canada is a huge country with less popultion and huge wealth & reserves of natural resources. If social benefit was the objective, they would prefer benefits in their home countries rather than grilling themselves through difficult and time consuming immigration process to land in Frozen Canada with -35 degree teperature.

abhi_hola

Star Member
Nov 16, 2008
option 1 for me;
if your profession is not in demand, this program will safeguard you;
if you get a job from outside, you can still come in; skilled worker program is designed for people who dont have a job & their profession is in demand; makes every sense to me to include those pros whose jobs are in demand, rather than any one.

juergens

Nov 1, 2008
Obviously, anyone who has an occupation on the list of 38 will vote for option 1, while all others (I'm assuming the majority of us) will vote for option 2. I have more of a tech related job (not on the list) but have also been teaching part-time at a community college. I'm not sure whether eight years of part-time college teaching counts as one year equivalent. All I know is that the whole process seems complicated and now it appears as though many people will "fudge" their work experience to make it be one of the 38 (rather than the NOC which actually reflects their job experience). I'm for option 2. I'm really for any option that allows quality people with good skills and honest backgrounds to have the opportunity to build a life in Canada. Most of us simply want a good life and if accepted we want to give back to the country that gave us the opportunity.

We in the United States just went through a very bitter election process and I really hope Canadians are not as vicious as what I saw here. Just how Conservative are Canadian Conservatives? Do Albertans really want to separate from the rest of Canada? I just hope this coalition doesn't alienate the West. Just how bad is the political divisiveness, particularly out West?

eduardoF

Oct 15, 2008
Re: Let's have an immigrant vote: Are you for or against the List of 38 occupati

juergens said:
Obviously, anyone who has an occupation on the list of 38 will vote for option 1, while all others (I'm assuming the majority of us) will vote for option 2. I have more of a tech related job (not on the list) but have also been teaching part-time at a community college. I'm not sure whether eight years of part-time college teaching counts as one year equivalent.
It's easy to calculate that. One year full time equivalent equals 1950 hours. If in 8 years teaching you worked 1950 hours, you have one year.

All I know is that the whole process seems complicated and now it appears as though many people will "fudge" their work experience to make it be one of the 38 (rather than the NOC which actually reflects their job experience).
Anyone with a little brain would have figured that out. I suppose that shows Canadian politicians are not much better than politicians elsewhere!
The problem with NOC is that it attempts to describe too much, and then things get confusing. For example, the description for University Professor and College Professor is very, very similar. The most important difference is that University Prof requires a doctorate, and College Prof does not. And yet, if you have experience as a University Prof, you don't qualify as a College Prof. It's just one of those things...

I'm for option 2. I'm really for any option that allows quality people with good skills and honest backgrounds to have the opportunity to build a life in Canada. Most of us simply want a good life and if accepted we want to give back to the country that gave us the opportunity.
yep...

We in the United States just went through a very bitter election process and I really hope Canadians are not as vicious as what I saw here. Just how Conservative are Canadian Conservatives? Do Albertans really want to separate from the rest of Canada? I just hope this coalition doesn't alienate the West. Just how bad is the political divisiveness, particularly out West?
Is Alberta talking about that?? I thought it was only Quebec. Now what, we have a Bloc Albertois??

Edit: Ignore what I said about work experience, read my post http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/your-work-experience-questions-t12438.0.html

Adrian

Mar 7, 2008
KGB brilliant, if it ain't issues relating to racial genocide in South Africa (your last topic), then you come up with another doozy. Absolutely briliant.

As to my opinion - Option 1

I have much the same opinion as rupeshhari, and let me illustrate with a very crude example which is practiced throughout industry, i.e.: if you walk through the streets you read signs such as "Private Property - No Entrance", "Tresspassers will be prosecuted" or "Right of Admission Reserved".
Canada is exercising the right to the same principal.

KGB

Nov 15, 2008
In the wake of the signing of the agreement of understanding between the Liberal party and NDP confirming the coalition party agreement between them, the immigrants have voted in their second day of polling:

The results for day 2:
Option 1: 5 votes (Conservative Party)
Option 2: 6 votes (Liberal Party)
Other recommendations: 0 vote

The electorate for “day 2” rejects the list of “38 Priority Occupations” again but with a very slim margin.

Total Results of Voting:
Option 1: 9 votes (Conservative Party)
Option 2: 14 votes (Liberal Party)
Other recommendations: 1 vote

Total votes: 24

etbasic

Sep 25, 2008
If I may add - why don't they categorize the list - first, second and last priority lists and say the first priority gets 6-12 months, second may take 18 months, last priority will take 24 months processing times. That sounds better don't you people, think so? It would be much better since you know which category you fall into and it is not outright refusal of application.