+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Let's have an immigrant vote: Are you for or against the List of 38 occupations?

KSN

Nov 20, 2008
Brown eyed girl said:
To adnan_hsn and rupeshhari - I respect your opinions (after all that is democracy) but I resent any implication that immigrants not on the 38 list are coming over there to claim state benefits. If I wanted to claim state benefits, I would stay in my home country (UK) where people expect the state to pay for everything for them - I would know because I am a welfare and benefits officer and the tricks people will come up with to avoid going out to work and claim incapacity is something unreal. But I have worked hard all my life, since leaving college (18 years ago) and am still studying towards a degree. And if I did come to Canada, I don't expect to be doing the same job I'm doing here; if I have to wait on tables or work as a check-out girl in a supermarket, to me that is an honest job because I am not stealing from anyone or hurting anyone. People who persevere and work hard in life get rewarded.

Yes, in ideal world if "we're so good at our jobs" then we'll get job offers and LMO's, but it's no walk in the park finding an employer thousands of miles away, who's never met us and who will just be willing to take a chance on us, just for kicks. This is the last I have to say on this particular subject because I can only ever root for the underdog. If I were on the 38 list, I would still have the same views.

Brown Eyed Girl

Try to look at it from Canadas point of view. If they employ you as a waitress you would possibly be taking the job of a Canadian citizen. Hypothetically , if you did not want to leave the UK, how would you and the rest of UK feel if an immigrant came and took a job you are qualified to do. Even though I don’t like the new rules I can understand why they did it. They are trying to compete with countries Australia and UK for immigrants that they require on that list .Skilled workers on that list are generally put off the long waiting period it takes to get to Canada. This list will change the minds of those people on the list who don’t want to wait 5 years to get into Canada.

Brown eyed girl

Nov 16, 2008
Oh KGB, what did you start?!!! lol

When I said I would be prepared to work as waitress I didn't mean that's what I'd be aspiring to do if I went there! It was just to drive home my point that I'd rather do an honest menial job than sponge off the state. As for how we'd feel in the UK if immigrants came and took away British jobs, well it's rather strange because in the UK there are a lot of people who don't WANT to work (and I'm not talking immigrants here). I'm not saying immigrants don't claim benefits, because they do - but I find that the majority of the claimants I deal with are in effect, British born and bred who feel the state "owes" them something. I am a tax payer so I know how frustrating it is to people who work and pay taxes all their lives to support others who are bums. And yes adnan_hsn I know exactly what you mean about feeding people who are too fond of morning tv! I live in a street where half the residents are on incapacity, but you wouldn't think so to see them zipping around in their cars and watching the 50" plasma TVs bought with taxpayers money. I too agree that reckless and uncontrolled immigration is counter-productive, but I must admit that a lot of the immigrants that came into the UK from Poland after the EU expansion are hard working, decent people who fill jobs that some English people think are 'below them' or cannot bother to apply for.

KSN

Nov 20, 2008
“When I said I would be prepared to work as waitress I didn't mean that's what I'd be aspiring to do if I went there! “

I read your previous posts. I implied if you came here with your skill and was unable to find a job you would possibly take the job of a Canadian Citizen for example a waitress.

“As for how we'd feel in the UK if immigrants came and took away British jobs, well it's rather strange because in the UK there are a lot of people who don't WANT to work (and I'm not talking immigrants here).”

If that is true then it must be a very small percentage of skilled people who feel that way. I meant that w.r.t. skilled immigrants taking skilled UK citizens jobs. Example ,engineers and also people who are out there looking for a job in their field.

My main point was that CANADA is competing with other countries like Australia and the UK for those skilled workers on that list.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Brown eyed, I don't mean to sound cold but if you don't know if you can get a job as a skilled worker, why should Canada approve you as a skilled worker? Like I said before, the option is still open to you to show that you can get a job offer and then you are in. Or if you think it's easier to get a job as a waitress or some such, you can try to get a temporary work permit for that. In BC and AB you would qualify to apply for residency though the PNP even with some low skill jobs or you could use your low skilled job as a foot in the door to look for a skilled job and get your work permit changed which will give you all kinds of options to apply for residency from within. If you are under 30, you can also look into getting a Bunac visa, gives you a year to work in Canada and make connections to get a regular work permit later and apply through PNP. It's not like Canada has closed. It's only one little door that is closed but there are many other doors and windows if you want to come in.

Salman2007

Star Member
Oct 27, 2008
I'll go with option:2

I would also like to recommend to see Australian immigration policy, they have that best which it should be.

sonea

Nov 7, 2008
Canada
App. Filed.......
11-08-2008
AOR Received.
20-aug-2008
IELTS Request
21-03-2011
File Transfer...
20-09-2010
Med's Request
11/11/11
Med's Done....
28/11/11, recieved by VO 12/12/11
Passport Req..
05/Jan/2012
VISA ISSUED...
29th Feb
LANDED..........
2nd July 2012
ill also go with option 2
i found that 80% jobs were of low skilled category. so if canada really needed educated and skilled workers they shud hav included every1 who have high skills and high education i think this list is in favor of labour class not for managerial or exectives. with this canadian government wants to hold the managing authority in their hands. they can do this bcuz its their country but i think they shud remove the ministers saying ie "we believe in immigration". it shud go like this now "we blieve in ruling" .
they rejected ppl with way more than 67 points.....

Defiant

Oct 1, 2008
Lithuania
Option 1 - but less restricted.

I understand the need for such priority list, but it should be really a priority list, giving priority to certain professions speeding up the process while still offering a chance to skilled workers not on the list to get processed, though after the priority list is through.

Initially there was a proposal to postpone the workers whose professions were not on the list and if within a year they still wouldn't be processed return the paid fees with the right to apply again. This would be similar to the Australian system, where if you don't get the full 120 points but you are still over 100 you are put on hold, this way the needed workers get in quickly while other still have a chance to get in.

To address two arguments brought up here:

1) If you don't get a job offer before immigrating to Canada and you're not on the 38-list, then if you are accepted you would take another Canadian's job.
Considering that most of the immigrants are skilled/educated but have to take on low skilled jobs when they immigrate because their qualifications are not accepted or they don't have Canadian work experience, it is hard to believe they take away very desirable jobs from the Canadians.

2) Get a job first then immigrate - this way you have proved that you are needed in Canada.

Please get real - Most of the immigrants need a visa to come to Canada, most of them don't have the possibility to do something like "working holiday", for most of them it is quite expensive to get to Canada.
How are they supposed to get a job offer without attending an interview?
Don't forget: even the people who have already immigrated to Canada often cannot get jobs according to their skill/professions due to the reasons mentioned above.

go2canada

Aug 13, 2008
Something else worried me. My occupation is on the List of 38 occupations, but for trades occupation who are without university degree, with maximum points for experience and age, for language ability Moderate and High proficiency (without knowing French), with No arranged employment, without post-secondary education, work experience or relatives in Canada I can’t score 67 points, and I think that this will be the biggest problem for all tradesmen. Now the question is how this people will immigrate in Canada when they don’t have asked score of 67 points, no matter they are on List of 38 Occupations?

eduardoF

Oct 15, 2008
Re: Let's have an immigrant vote: Are you for or against the List of 38 occupati

go2canada said:
Something else worried me. My occupation is on the List of 38 occupations, but for trades occupation who are without university degree, with maximum points for experience and age, for language ability Moderate and High proficiency (without knowing French), with No arranged employment, without post-secondary education, work experience or relatives in Canada I can't score 67 points, and I think that this will be the biggest problem for all tradesmen. Now the question is how this people will immigrate in Canada when they don't have asked score of 67 points, no matter they are on List of 38 Occupations?
If you have no work experience, you are not allowed to apply anyway. :-/

Edit: re-reading your message, I understand you mean "no work experience in Canada", so my comment above does not apply.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you have a needed trade, you will not have a problem getting a job offer. My employer has around 20 TFW right now and only one of them actually came to Canada to interview before he was hired. The others were hired either through an agency or after having seen the company ad on a website and applying for it.

KGB

Nov 15, 2008
The election results for day 1:
Option 1: 4 votes (Conservative Party)
Option 2: 8 votes (Liberal Party)
Other recommendations: 1 vote

The electorate for day 1 rejects the list of “38 Priority Occupations” with a margin of "2" to "1".

Stay tuned...