+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lets connect

dr feras

Champion Member
Jan 27, 2013
dear members,
Some of you remember me from older posts.
I got my PR and landed in september 2017, Toronto.
I would like to hear from your experiences.
By the way I am still job hunting. I know no one here in canada as a new immigrant. Still struggling to make new friends. Yes even simple survival jobs are not proving to be that easy to get. I applied and applied and applied through indeed with no luck. I went out and handed my CV in person too. Seems that positions go quick by word of mouth, someone working there will get people he/she knows to get it.
Astonishes me, considering most of us come from abroad as skilled immigrants with great experience to add to any survival job, and some of us including me are willing to take it for a long time, considering we have families to feed, and the long time it takes to get our license to practice as doctors.

Anyways, that being said, lets say you did get a minimum wage job, which is going to be 14 cad/h starting from jan 2018, what tricks do people do to survive on that, considering you have a family lets say with 1 child. Biggest issue i find is rent. Its too expensive to rent even a studio in most parts of toronto, mississauga, oakville, burlington, brampton ... etc.

Also, if anyone is already here and willing to meet for a coffee to chat and share experiences, i would be more than happy, at least it would take away a bit of this home sickness.

Best regards
Feras

Tishfaith

Sep 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Nov 4
dear members,
By the way I am still job hunting. I know no one here in canada as a new immigrant. Still struggling to make new friends. Yes even simple survival jobs are not proving to be that easy to get. I applied and applied and applied through indeed with no luck. I went out and handed my CV in person too. Seems that positions go quick by word of mouth, someone working there will get people he/she knows to get it.
Astonishes me, considering most of us come from abroad as skilled immigrants with great experience to add to any survival job, and some of us including me are willing to take it for a long time, considering we have families to feed, and the long time it takes to get our license to practice as doctors.

Anyways, that being said, lets say you did get a minimum wage job, which is going to be 14 cad/h starting from jan 2018, what tricks do people do to survive on that, considering you have a family lets say with 1 child. Biggest issue i find is rent. Its too expensive to rent even a studio in most parts of toronto, mississauga, oakville, burlington, brampton ... etc.

Also, if anyone is already here and willing to meet for a coffee to chat and share experiences, i would be more than happy, at least it would take away a bit of this home sickness.

Best regards
Feras
Hi,

Happy Holidays. Sorry to hear about your situation. I really do hope it gets better....the new year is for new beginnings (new/great job etc.and things to go up from here).

I am migrating to Toronto in late March 2018/early April 2018- so I won't be able to meet very soon.

I have read on the forum that those license jobs take awhile to sort out. There isn't any jobs you can do in the hospital in the meanwhile or a clinic/doctors office?

Which area do you live?

dr feras

Champion Member
Jan 27, 2013
Hi,

Happy Holidays. Sorry to hear about your situation. I really do hope it gets better....the new year is for new beginnings (new/great job etc.and things to go up from here).

I am migrating to Toronto in late March 2018/early April 2018- so I won't be able to meet very soon.

I have read on the forum that those license jobs take awhile to sort out. There isn't any jobs you can do in the hospital in the meanwhile or a clinic/doctors office?

Which area do you live?
Nope, as a doctor dont expect to get a job at a clinic, even as an admin or a receptionist. Clinics look for people with degrees/experience in that specific role, even if you think you sre actually better qualified for the job, thats how it goes here. However, i am sorry if my post sounded a bit negative, its not all black. Survival jobs are plenty, it just takes some effort and time to successfully hunt one. I was unfortunate that i came during the time before winter, which is a bit slow.
Also, if you really have no luck finding anything, you can easily start a job next day at any factory/warehouse through one of those recruitement people like Appleone etc, just be prepared for some physical stress and repetative tasks. But yeah, its still an option for those willing to do it.
I live in Oakville btw.
Good luck to you in your move

yousito

Aug 28, 2017
Hi
Here in Québec as a doctor you should be regestred in a order of doctors and that take some months if not some yers to be elegible to practice as doctor....But if you dont like loose time why you dont try to regester in the university and try to have some addetive certificats that can help you in you search.... i wish you good luck

tonygunk

Aug 31, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
13-06-2017
AOR Received.
13-06-2017
Med's Done....
10-07-2017
Passport Req..
31-08-2017
VISA ISSUED...
07-09-2017
dear members,

Best regards
Feras
Hey Mate, hang in there.
I recall just a few months back we were awaiting our COPRs, remember how excited you were to come here. Don't be disheartened, it takes time even for survival jobs to come back and you have landed during winter which makes it a bit difficult.

I landed in the end of October and currently living in Downtown TO. Even I am facing the same situation... applied for tons of jobs online/in person... had few interviews but all ended up choosing other candidates (Canadian exp preferred maybe). Spent the entire Christmas morning depressed and job hunting, when my flatmates reminded me to look out of the window and enjoy the view. I didn't realize that I was wasting my first ever White Christmas away, so I went for a stroll up to to the City Hall and suddenly decided to enjoy the experience of just being here in the moment. I know it sounds cheesy, but life is tough and sometimes you have to take time for yourself and enjoy the little things once in a while. You will land your first job here soon (job market usually picks up after new years eve in my experience), but don't forget that you have made it here with a fair bit of difficulty and life will be tough for a few years in the beginning. So don't be disappointed and keep trying. Persistence is the key here. o_O

P.S: Stay indoors for this week if possible, the cold snap has landed!

Last edited:
Reactions: Scorpman21

dr feras

Champion Member
Jan 27, 2013
Hey Mate, hang in there.
I recall just a few months back we were awaiting our COPRs, remember how excited you were to come here. Don't be disheartened, it takes time even for survival jobs to come back and you have landed during winter which makes it a bit difficult.

I landed in the end of October and currently living in Downtown TO. Even I am facing the same situation... applied for tons of jobs online/in person... had few interviews but all ended up choosing other candidates (Canadian exp preferred maybe). Spent the entire Christmas morning depressed and job hunting, when my flatmates reminded me to look out of the window and enjoy the view. I didn't realize that I was wasting my first ever White Christmas away, so I went for a stroll up to to the City Hall and suddenly decided to enjoy the experience of just being here in the moment. I know it sounds cheesy, but life is tough and sometimes you have to take time for yourself and enjoy the little things once in a while. You will land your first job here soon (job market usually picks up after new years eve in my experience), but don't forget that you have made it here with a fair bit of difficulty and life will be tough for a few years in the beginning. So don't be disappointed and keep trying. Persistence is the key here. o_O

P.S: Stay indoors for this week if possible, the cold snap has landed!
Hi Tony, nice to see you again. I dont log in much too, came back to remember the hard and good times during the application process lol. For sure, its expected that the first period is hard wherever we go. Dont get me wrong, I am not trying to make it negative or put off people who are about to come here, its a nice country and the pros are definitely worth it. We just gotta hang on till we settle. And yes i am 100% down to having a coffee, we can sit down vent out some homesickness and discuss and share strategies :) I dont wanna spam ur inbox, but I'll send you my phone number in case u preferred to text.
Good luck to all of us

GargiS

Star Member
Jun 11, 2017
dear members,

Best regards
Feras

Hey Dr. Feras,
Hang in there.

Things will be good soon. Its dull probably coz of winters there. Don't lose hope.

All the very best to you.

Cheers.

glenn9090

Star Member
Apr 29, 2014
Saudi Arabia
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/06/2014
Doc's Request.
19/11/2014
Nomination.....
08/10/2014
IELTS Request
With Application
File Transfer...
14/11/2014
Med's Request
14/01/2015
Med's Done....
31/01/2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
05/03/2015
VISA ISSUED...
25/03/2015
LANDED..........
January 2016
Looks like it is the same story for most of the new landed immigrants. This seems a similar story of mine. And this cold snap is driving crazy making it more difficult to commute

sat8979

Star Member
Jul 6, 2017
Hey Feras, Hope you would remember me from our discussion on IP2 stage. Just saw your thread here. I am glad to see that you are in Toronto area. I have just landed (on 27th) and am presently located in Pickering. It would be good to meet you. Not sure how to PM you.

renike

Dec 12, 2017
Hello Feras 'am not trying to scare you however,medical Profession in Canada takes time to integrate foreign trained Drs and that is even after series of examination and schooling...my wife works in the caring industry in Canada and shared an experience where one of her clients spoke of a Nigerian Medical Doctor who went back to undergo 6 months PSW Training in order to get a fairly decent job of 19-21 CAD per hr.The client suspected that the Doctor was highly qualified because anytime they have medical issue although, he always carefully, directed them to see a Physician,however he always suggest that this kind of case is usually so...so and so and after test it will likely give so...so and so result which will be treated with ...usually about 5 suggestion of drugs...My wife said her clients began to suspect that the Young man was more qualified because the result after seeing a doctor is always as accurate as he earlier suggested.That was when they interviewed him and he mentioned that he is indeed a qualified medical personnel back in Nigeria.I will suggest you hang in there and probably look for a training that will still enable you practice along medical line while looking for a job you desire...good luck!

almehdi

May 29, 2017
Muscat, Oman
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-07-2017
Doc's Request.
25-07-2017
AOR Received.
12-07-2017
Med's Done....
25-07-2017
HI Dr Feras

Good luck with the job site and hang on there, it will get better soon. Dropped you a PM to connect

permafrost_can

Nov 16, 2017
Category........
Come over to Manitoba! We are really nice here :) it's even on our licence plates (Friendly Manitoba).

Have you gone to a settlement service to receive employment training? Sometimes the problem is how you write your cover letter or your resume. It helps to volunteer at organizations where you would like to work. They will either refer you to places where you could put your skills to work, or maybe even hire you themselves. This has been my experience as well as that of many friends of mine. At the settlement or employment services they will also teach you to network in order to advance your career.

As you correctly pointed out, you can't practice as a doctor without being licensed, and the process is long, hard and expensive :( but it is all done to ensure that everyone has the same standards. My friends who came as doctors found employment that somewhat relates to that: one is a community support worker at a centre that helps refugees, and he is the one who takes the refugees to the hospital and helps them explain their symptoms and understand what the doctor says, and works with them to create a plan to be more healthy afterwards. Another friend works at a research institute. They didn't get these jobs right away, the first guy started as a volunteer there for months and months, then as a casual interpreter, then got the job. The other friend did a short diploma in the evenings, while working full time during the day, and showed such skill in her diploma that they kept her once she finished.

Just go to a settlement service to get help. I know they can help you because I work at one (I'm not in the settlement area, I'm pre-arrival, but I give all this info and much more to those coming, and my colleagues at settlement give this info to those who are here). And both with the settlement service and by volunteering you will make good friends. I know, it's hard to find the time. I work full time and go to school in the evenings, but still try and volunteer 2 hours a week so I don't lose that connection.

Sindan

Jun 17, 2017
Hi Dr Feras,
I remember you well from the forums before we got our COPRs.
So I am sorry to hear that things aren't going perfect, but wish you luck for things to work out as winter ends.
I did get my COPR back in September, but am moving to Canada only in summer. My sister lives in Edmonton, so I have a place to go if things get tough :)
Hope all works out well for you.