+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lesbians with kids

Katrinaa

Jan 19, 2020
Hi all,
we are lesbians and have kids. We are not married legally as forbidden by law of our country. Live together more than 12 years.
We suffer humiliation and harassment, kids like outcast (((( we are abnormal to our people...
In order to protect our family we decided to immigrate to Canada as refugee LGBT.
In accordance to https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/refugees/canada-role/lgbtq2.html we must make refugee claims outside of Canada and outside of own country.
Could you clarify what does it mean? Should we live in a country outside our or we can go to that country, apply and go back and wait the process starts?
Do we understand correct before going to another country for making refugee claim we shall apply UNHRC?

Thank you.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Hi all,
we are lesbians and have kids. We are not married legally as forbidden by law of our country. Live together more than 12 years.
We suffer humiliation and harassment, kids like outcast (((( we are abnormal to our people...
In order to protect our family we decided to immigrate to Canada as refugee LGBT.
In accordance to https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/refugees/canada-role/lgbtq2.html we must make refugee claims outside of Canada and outside of own country.
Could you clarify what does it mean? Should we live in a country outside our or we can go to that country, apply and go back and wait the process starts?
Do we understand correct before going to another country for making refugee claim we shall apply UNHRC?

Thank you.
What country are you from? Are you in fear of your life? Does not seem like it based on one of your statements asking if you should go to another country and then live in your own while you wait for the result. Or maybe I am misunderstanding.

1. The only way to ensure you are applying for asylum in Canada is to acquire a TRV, fly to Canada and claim asylum at the airport.

2. Moving to a different country and registering as a refugee there does not guarantee you will be resettled in Canada but if you are truly in fear of your lives then that is better than nothing.

3. I don’t know what country you are from but you should try to move to a different area of your country first.

4. Hire a lawyer to determine your chance at success. Having a refugee claim and being rejected will affect your travel freedom in a negative way.

Good luck.

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
Hi all,

Thank you.
I don't really think there is much difference in refugee claim for LGBTQ2 community oversee/resettlement. Except in IRCC internal procedure and operation. However, to demonstrate that you are liable to be subjected to persecution and need Canada protection, you have to be residing in another country or outside your usual place of residence. Refugee claimants who are persecuted because of their sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression or HIV status are generally referred to IRCC by: the United Nations Refugee Agency, private sponsor, or other referral organizations. Since your referral and Permanent Resident Visa process is going to be handled by Visa Office responsible for your country or outside your home country, it's advisable to wait for the whole process. It also depends whether you're being sponsor, where your sponsorship application will be send to the Case Processing Office in Winnipeg, Manitoba or not sponsor whereby you are refer by UNHCR or other referral organization to VO that serves your place of residence.
(edited).

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all,

Thank you.
If you want to specifically apply for refugee status in Canada, you would need to obtain TRVs (tourist visas), travel to Canada and claim asylum in Canada when you arrive.

An alternative would be to leave your country and go to another country nearby - and once there, be recognized as refugees by UNHCR. UNHCR will then decide where you will be resettled (you don't get to chose). It typically takes man years to be resettled and many are resettled in the country where they were recognized as refugees by UNHCR. So there is a very low chance you would end up in Canada. And no - you certainly could not return to your home country while you wait out the process. If you do this, it will show your refugee claim isn't genuine.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all,

Thank you.
Have you looked to see if you qualify for economic immigration programs?

Amin.hope

Star Member
Nov 26, 2019
Dear, as long as I know you don’t need any refugee claim but you need to find some organization to being as your sponsors and then they are applying for you and after that if Canadian immigration approve you you can get your PR. Moreover, Don’t forget it takes so much time to get there likes other programs.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Dear, as long as I know you don’t need any refugee claim but you need to find some organization to being as your sponsors and then they are applying for you and after that if Canadian immigration approve you you can get your PR. Moreover, Don’t forget it takes so much time to get there likes other programs.
Anyone who will be sponsored privately through the group of 5 program MUST be a recognized/registered refugee by the UNHCR.

Amin.hope

Star Member
Nov 26, 2019
Anyone who will be sponsored privately through the group of 5 program MUST be a recognized/registered refugee by the UNHCR.
I think so it’s like that but I didn’t talked about group of five, I said organization that’s a different program you can look for it in Canada.ca

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
I think so it’s like that but I didn’t talked about group of five, I said organization that’s a different program you can look for it in Canada.ca
I am aware of the programs. I work with refugees.

Note that just because it does not specifically state the person must be recognized when SAH and CGs sponsor them, it does not mean that it is easier to get sponsored. IRCC will still ensure the person being sponsored meets the definition of a refugee.

My only point is you are making it seem like it is so easy to get private sponsorship. It is not.

Amin.hope

Star Member
Nov 26, 2019
I am aware of the programs. I work with refugees.

Note that just because it does not specifically state the person must be recognized when SAH and CGs sponsor them, it does not mean that it is easier to get sponsored. IRCC will still ensure the person being sponsored meets the definition of a refugee.

My only point is you are making it seem like it is so easy to get private sponsorship. It is not.
Not really, as I said even if he/she can find sponsors it’s gonna takes long time to get there.