+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Legalizing Statement in lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage Abroad in Russia

Bynming

Star Member
Sep 8, 2018
Montréal
Category........
FAM
Hello everyone,

I need someone to tell me I'm doing this correctly.

I'm a Canadian citizen, I'm headed to Russia in mid-February to register a wedding with my Russian fiance for the summer. In order to do that, I need a few documents including a "Statement in lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage Abroad". I could get it in Russia, but that would require that I stay in Moscow for about 2 weeks. So, to get that document, I followed the instructions. I went to a notary, made a statement mentioned said my name, permanent address and declared that I am single and have never been married. I also got a certified copy of my birth certificate and sent both of those documents as well as the form, requesting the statement. This was sent by priority mail along with a prepaid priority mail return envelope.

Now, since I'm always nervous and anxious, a big part of me worries that I did something wrong in those 3 sheets of paper and they won't send me what I need. Should be good though. But I assume that if I requested a Statement in lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage Abroad, it itself will be authenticated and ready to be legalized by foreign authorities.

It is my understanding that for this document to be admissible by the ZAGS (marriage authority in Russia), it needs to be legalized in Canada by the Russian Embassy, and cannot be legalized in Russia. This is because the document is made in Canada, it would be different if it was made by the Canadian Embassy in Moscow.

It seems like I could send this document to the Embassy along with payment for legalization, but I'm a bit confused about this process. I also need it translated to Russia at some point along the way, and therefore I was thinking of doing business with a translation office which can translate the document and speed up the legalization process.

I have 65 days to get those, which should be more than enough but I've had rough experiences in the past with delays and things getting in the way.

My plan is that I will have this "Statement in lieu of Certificate..." translated and legalized, and once in Russia I can have my passport translated and certified by a notary. Does that seem about right, am I missing something?

Thanks so much, I've never had to look at so much paperwork and it's quite daunting.

Last edited: