+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Legal to apply for Ontario ID while on Visitor's visa?

bsrketh

Star Member
Aug 22, 2018
Hi all,

As the title states,

1. Is it legal to obtain one?

2. Can we use it as address proof while applying for PR?

Thank you!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi all,

As the title states,

1. Is it legal to obtain one?

2. Can we use it as address proof while applying for PR?

Thank you!
Do you mean Ontario Photo Card? FYI- An Ontario Photo Card and a driver’s licence or a photo ID card from Ontario or another province, state or country cannot be held at the same time.
So you have no photo id at all?

bsrketh

Star Member
Aug 22, 2018
Do you mean Ontario Photo Card? FYI- An Ontario Photo Card and a driver’s licence or a photo ID card from Ontario or another province, state or country cannot be held at the same time.
So you have no photo id at all?
It's for my wife and she's in Canada on a Visitor's visa and only has her passport. We went to Service Ontario and applied one and they didn't ask for any proof except for a passport.

I'm sponsoring her PR and wanted to her to get an Ontario ID with our local address, so that we can open joint bank account and show that we live at the same address.

So, is it legal to have one or not while applying for a PR?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
It's for my wife and she's in Canada on a Visitor's visa and only has her passport. We went to Service Ontario and applied one and they didn't ask for any proof except for a passport.

I'm sponsoring her PR and wanted to her to get an Ontario ID with our local address, so that we can open joint bank account and show that we live at the same address.

So, is it legal to have one or not while applying for a PR?
It is legal as long as she doesn’t possess a driver’s license or photo id from any other country/state or province.

bsrketh

Star Member
Aug 22, 2018
It is legal as long as she doesn’t possess a driver’s license or photo id from any other country/state or province.
I see. She has a Texas state ID which we wanted to show as proof that I and her were living in the same house in the US.

Would uploading that as a supporting document cause any issues with the PR application?

Underhill

Feb 5, 2020
Vancouver, BC
I see. She has a Texas state ID which we wanted to show as proof that I and her were living in the same house in the US.

Would uploading that as a supporting document cause any issues with the PR application?
A non-PR/citizen obtaining an ID or drivers license in Canada is absolutely fine, however, the US and Canada have a drivers license/ID agreement that means if your wife obtains an ID in Ontario and doesn't disclose/surrender her Texas ID she could get in trouble in Canada when they find out.

If she surrenders her Texas ID when obtaining her Ontario ID Canada will notify Texas and that Texas ID will be considered no longer valid. Using a non-valid ID for a PR application isn't usually accepted, but if you're simply using it to show previous shared residency you could submit a clear photocopy or photo of both the front and rear of the ID - AND - be very clear in a note that this ID is no longer valid as it was surrendered to obtain an Ontario ID.

bsrketh

Star Member
Aug 22, 2018
A non-PR/citizen obtaining an ID or drivers license in Canada is absolutely fine, however, the US and Canada have a drivers license/ID agreement that means if your wife obtains an ID in Ontario and doesn't disclose/surrender her Texas ID she could get in trouble in Canada when they find out.

If she surrenders her Texas ID when obtaining her Ontario ID Canada will notify Texas and that Texas ID will be considered no longer valid. Using a non-valid ID for a PR application isn't usually accepted, but if you're simply using it to show previous shared residency you could submit a clear photocopy or photo of both the front and rear of the ID - AND - be very clear in a note that this ID is no longer valid as it was surrendered to obtain an Ontario ID.
Thank you, we'll go back and surrender the Texas ID and get an updated receipt of application.

Reactions: Underhill

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You should also be speaking to your insurance company driving. Her longterm stay in Canada may be an issue.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Assume she has a home country passport. Won’t that be an issue?

bsrketh

Star Member
Aug 22, 2018
Assume she has a home country passport. Won’t that be an issue?
Could you please expand on what you mean? We are both Indian citizens. We were planning to add her H4 dependent visa and state ID under supporting documents as proof that we are legally married and were living together in the US.

bsrketh

Star Member
Aug 22, 2018
did you go back to surrender Texas state id? I have a Michigan ID too so wanted to know if i need to go surrender
Yes we did. They took it but they didn't really care and said they'd just keep it. License is different though, that needs to be surrendered during the exchange.

Last edited:

Downtown_YYZ Guy

Star Member
Sep 22, 2022
Yes we did. They took it but they didn't really care and said they'd just keep it. License is different though, that needs to be surrendered during the exchange.
Thanks for the response Did they give any updated receipt? as in your original receipt you would have said something like no other photo id right

bsrketh

Star Member
Aug 22, 2018
Thanks for the response Did they give any updated receipt? as in your original receipt you would have said something like no other photo id right
Yes, basically had to force the lady to write down my spouse's Texas ID info on it and get a new copy. If they try to push back, tell them it's an immigration requirement.