+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Legal Name Change

Skeezicks

Oct 25, 2017
Hi
I am in the process of filling in the application form.
I want to use my husbands last name for the application.
My passport is in my maiden name. also my PR card and CORP
My question, will our marriage certificate be enough or do I need to legally change my name?

Below is an extract which I found online

There are only a couple of circumstances in which you would need a legal change of name to take a spouse's name:

• If you want to create a new surname by adding your birth surname as a middle name, or combining it with your spouse's surname. e.g. Smith-Jones or Smith Jones; or
• If you want to update your immigration or citizenship documents to reflect a new name or a married surname

Thanks

Skeezicks

Oct 25, 2017
And one more question....
I am under 55 and therefore need to prove my English language ability.
All my schooling and college was done in an English language country.
Will my grad papers do?
Thanks !!

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
And one more question....
I am under 55 and therefore need to prove my English language ability.
All my schooling and college was done in an English language country.
Will my grad papers do?
Thanks !!
Someone else can help with the name change question. For english language proficiency, do your grad papers indicate the medium of instruction was English ? I think if they were done in a country where the official language is English like UK, Australia, USA, you probably can submit them without issues, even if it doesn't mention the medium of instruction.

Skeezicks

Oct 25, 2017
Someone else can help with the name change question. For english language proficiency, do your grad papers indicate the medium of instruction was English ? I think if they were done in a country where the official language is English like UK, Australia, USA, you probably can submit them without issues, even if it doesn't mention the medium of instruction.
Thanks razerblade.
They were done in Ireland , which is an English speaking country, so I will send all and fingers crossed !!

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Hi
I am in the process of filling in the application form.
I want to use my husbands last name for the application.
My passport is in my maiden name. also my PR card and CORP
My question, will our marriage certificate be enough or do I need to legally change my name?

Below is an extract which I found online

There are only a couple of circumstances in which you would need a legal change of name to take a spouse's name:

• If you want to create a new surname by adding your birth surname as a middle name, or combining it with your spouse's surname. e.g. Smith-Jones or Smith Jones; or
• If you want to update your immigration or citizenship documents to reflect a new name or a married surname

Thanks
As per the instruction guide, marriage certificate is required for changing family name (surname)

Read it here:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html

Skeezicks

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks thecoolguysam
I had read that information but am still not sure. It does state a marriage certificate will suffice for surname change however it also states on the top
"Then you must submit a copy of the change of name document issued by a Canadian province or territory, or by the appropriate foreign-state authority. The document must show both your previous and amended names"
My maiden name is on my marriage certificate.
So I think I will just go ahead and legally change my name before I send in my application

Thanks

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Thanks thecoolguysam
I had read that information but am still not sure. It does state a marriage certificate will suffice for surname change however it also states on the top
"Then you must submit a copy of the change of name document issued by a Canadian province or territory, or by the appropriate foreign-state authority. The document must show both your previous and amended names"
My maiden name is on my marriage certificate.
So I think I will just go ahead and legally change my name before I send in my application

Thanks
You don't need to legally change your name in order to update your surname. Marriage certificate is enough. Marriage certificate usually has husband's full legal name including surname and wife's full legal name including maiden name(surname before marriage)

Legal name change is different from just updating the surname after the marriage. Updating surname after marriage does not require a legal name change.

This is what you can do to keep the case simple:

Apply citizenship with your maiden name and your citizenship certificate will be issued with your maiden name.
Once you receive the citizenship certificate, get your driver's license, sin card, health card updated with your husband's surname by showing your marriage certificate.
Once your IDs are updated, visit passport canada and apply for passport using your husband's surname. Show your new IDs with your new surname and show your marriage certificate.

Here are further details:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/change-name.html

Last edited:

Skeezicks

Oct 25, 2017
You don't need to legally change your name in order to update your surname. Marriage certificate is enough. Marriage certificate usually has husband's full legal name including surname and wife's full legal name including maiden name(surname before marriage)

Legal name change is different from just updating the surname after the marriage. Updating surname after marriage does not require a legal name change.

This is what you can do to keep the case simple:

Apply citizenship with your maiden name and your citizenship certificate will be issued with your maiden name.
Once you receive the citizenship certificate, get your driver's license, sin card, health card updated with your husband's surname by showing your marriage certificate.
Once your IDs are updated, visit passport canada and apply for passport using your husband's surname. Show your new IDs with your new surname and show your marriage certificate.

Here are further details:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/change-name.html
Perfect !! Thanks again