+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Legal name change

cdc

Mar 17, 2015
If the CIC local office is started processing my wife and kids citizenship applications on February 2015. Their files were transferred to the Citizenship local office on February 2015 already. I prepare to send my citizenship application around March 20, 2015 too.

After sending my application on March, all my family want to have the legal name change be done on April before my wife might to attend the written test on May or later.

Is there any good suggestion? Thanks a lot.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name change

The name on the citizenship certificate will be the same as the one shown on your immigration document unless you provide one of the following documents as proof of a change of name (in addition to or in combination with supporting identity documents as requested in section 3 above).

a copy of a legal change of name document, court order or adoption order issued by a civil authority in a province or territory of Canada; or a marriage certificate, divorce decree, registration or declaration of union, or revocation of declaration or annulment of union issued by a civil authority in a province or territory of Canada, showing your new name, unless you have been married in and are currently a resident of Quebec;
if you are a permanent resident who has had a change of name outside of Canada, please provide a foreign passport or other national authoritative documentation that has been amended to reflect the new names. An official translation in English or French must be included.
Important information: Once processing of your application has begun a name change can only be made due to an administrative error made by the Department, a truncated (shortened) name on the immigration document or a legal change of name.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
cdc said:
If the CIC local office is started processing my wife and kids citizenship applications on February 2015. Their files were transferred to the Citizenship local office on February 2015 already. I prepare to send my citizenship application around March 20, 2015 too.

After sending my application on March, all my family want to have the legal name change be done on April before my wife might to attend the written test on May or later.

Is there any good suggestion? Thanks a lot.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name change

The name on the citizenship certificate will be the same as the one shown on your immigration document unless you provide one of the following documents as proof of a change of name (in addition to or in combination with supporting identity documents as requested in section 3 above).

a copy of a legal change of name document, court order or adoption order issued by a civil authority in a province or territory of Canada; or a marriage certificate, divorce decree, registration or declaration of union, or revocation of declaration or annulment of union issued by a civil authority in a province or territory of Canada, showing your new name, unless you have been married in and are currently a resident of Quebec;
if you are a permanent resident who has had a change of name outside of Canada, please provide a foreign passport or other national authoritative documentation that has been amended to reflect the new names. An official translation in English or French must be included.
Important information: Once processing of your application has begun a name change can only be made due to an administrative error made by the Department, a truncated (shortened) name on the immigration document or a legal change of name.
What exactly is your question?

cdc

Mar 17, 2015
My concern and questions are:

1. Could I do the legal name change on April 2015 after I send my citizenship application on March 2015?
2. Could my wife and kids do the legal name change on April 2015 during their citizenship applications start in process on Feb 2015?

Thanks a lot.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
cdc said:
My concern and questions are:

1. Could I do the legal name change on April 2015 after I send my citizenship application on March 2015?
2. Could my wife and kids do the legal name change on April 2015 during their citizenship applications start in process on Feb 2015?

Thanks a lot.
As per CIC's website you can change your name anytime during the process of citizenship:

This is what website says:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp

Once processing of your application has begun a name change can only be made due to an administrative error made by the Department, a truncated (shortened) name on the immigration document or a legal change of name.

Name change can also be done after taking citizenship. it is totally up to you.

For further clarification, contact cic call centre at 1-888-242-2100

cdc

Mar 17, 2015
Thank you very much.

But will it be increased the time for the processing? Is there any one have the similar situation like my family could share the experience? Thanks.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
cdc said:
Thank you very much.

But will it be increased the time for the processing? Is there any one have the similar situation like my family could share the experience? Thanks.
I went through name change but couple of years back and got all my ids changed with new name like PR card, drivers license, health card, bank cards, passport etc. Now i have used my new name to apply for citizenship along with my copy of name change certificate.

cdc

Mar 17, 2015
Thank you very much.

Is there any one have the similar situation like my family (planning to change the names during in process of citizenship application) could share the experience? Thanks.