India
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Sydney
App. Filed.......
25-03-2020
Hello all,

I am a PR here in Surrey BC from India. I want to add my surname in my name and on my Indian passport, my name is on Given names field and nothing on surname. Same is with my Canadian documents. Can anyone please let me know the step by step guide to change my name here in Surrey BC? I am really confused on how to start.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello all,

I am a PR here in Surrey BC from India. I want to add my surname in my name and on my Indian passport, my name is on Given names field and nothing on surname. Same is with my Canadian documents. Can anyone please let me know the step by step guide to change my name here in Surrey BC? I am really confused on how to start.
No experience. but this is the offical site:

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/life-events/legal-changes-of-name/legal-change-of-name-application

skdubai

Nov 13, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello all,

Am in the same boat in Ontario.. What /I have gathered so far is that we need to fix the PR card fist by asking for a replacement card with the new name. Once you get that, you go to the provincial authorities to change the name on all the Canadian documents.

When I went to service Ontario to get this fixed, they said, we need an updated PR card before we can proceed. They cannot make any changed based on our passport. When I spoke to IRCC, they said they will not fix the landing documents, so the only thing i could figure out is that I need to update the name on the PR card.

I have applied for a new PR card and provided my old and new passport as proof of the change. Waiting for the new card. Will update what happens..

kanwar144

Star Member
Mar 16, 2015
Am in the same boat in Ontario.. What /I have gathered so far is that we need to fix the PR card fist by asking for a replacement card with the new name. Once you get that, you go to the provincial authorities to change the name on all the Canadian documents.

When I went to service Ontario to get this fixed, they said, we need an updated PR card before we can proceed. They cannot make any changed based on our passport. When I spoke to IRCC, they said they will not fix the landing documents, so the only thing i could figure out is that I need to update the name on the PR card.

I have applied for a new PR card and provided my old and new passport as proof of the change. Waiting for the new card. Will update what happens..
I have the same problem of only given name . So To update the name in the PR card you need to update passport first right ?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I have the same problem of only given name . So To update the name in the PR card you need to update passport first right ?
You can do it that way and/or undertake a legal change of name in Canada (acc to requirements of whatever province you're in, although most are pretty similar). That often requires some period of residence in Canada first (I think it's 12 months in Ontario). Only issue is you have to deal with your home country authorities and whether they'll accept Canadian change of name to change your passport.