+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Legal Name Change on Foreign Passport - Advice Required

abjiskumar

Star Member
Jun 5, 2019
Previous Scenario :- My foreign passport did not have a Surname/Family Name and my full name was a part of the First Name. As a result my Canadian PR card and all other provincial IDs had my First Name as blank and Family Name as the Full Name since it is mandatory to have a Family Name in Canada.

Current Scenario :- I have split my name on the foreign passport into First Name and Surname/Family Name. My next step is to modify the name accordingly on my PR Card.

Questions :- 1) Do I need to submit an application for modifying the name on e-COPR?

2) Is there anything else other than the foreign passport that would be needed for changing the name on PR Card?

Thank you in advance.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Previous Scenario :- My foreign passport did not have a Surname/Family Name and my full name was a part of the First Name. As a result my Canadian PR card and all other provincial IDs had my First Name as blank and Family Name as the Full Name since it is mandatory to have a Family Name in Canada.

Current Scenario :- I have split my name on the foreign passport into First Name and Surname/Family Name. My next step is to modify the name accordingly on my PR Card.

Questions :- 1) Do I need to submit an application for modifying the name on e-COPR?

2) Is there anything else other than the foreign passport that would be needed for changing the name on PR Card?

Thank you in advance.
You might not need the foreign passport in order to change your name in the PR card.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

Thank you in advance.
Since you are already a PR:
1) You do not change the copr / ecopr - they are historical documents that reflect your name as of the date of landing.

2) You would need whatever document attests to the legal change of name. Canadian equivalent would usually be something like a court order / certificate of change of name (although actually marriage certificate also serves as one and is probably most common, does't apply to your case). I presume that the government or passport office that made this change has some sort of document to this effect, OR some document / text in passport that addresses the issue. You'd submit that with the new PR card application to match your name.

abjiskumar

Star Member
Jun 5, 2019
Thank you for the answers. When I go on the PR portal to apply for a PR card, I am presented with 3 options :- For renewing, for replacing lost, damaged or stolen or obtain new PR card. Which of these is applicable to my scenario?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you for the answers. When I go on the PR portal to apply for a PR card, I am presented with 3 options :- For renewing, for replacing lost, damaged or stolen or obtain new PR card. Which of these is applicable to my scenario?
The instructions (here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/imm5444.html , you have to click beow ) say "Important: Do not apply for a renewal of your current PR card if it is still valid for more than nine (9) months (270 days), unless your legal name has changed." (My emphasis at the end).

To me this means you are applying for renewal.

Reactions: abjiskumar