+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Legal Name Change - before or after obtaining citizenship? What are your thoughts?

fantazyprince

Star Member
Apr 9, 2016
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Never received
AOR Received.
06- August-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
05-Jan-2015
Passport Req..
Patiently waiting
@fantazyprince I don't think you need a name change if you have other provincial documents (Alberta's driver's license and AHS card) with your name in the right order. I think you just need a name AMENDMENT. Reach out to Vital Statistics to confirm though.

My case (this post) is different as I have no Canadian documents nor home country documents that have the name in the right order I need for my Canadian docs.
I emailed Vital Statistics but they didn't know whether I need a name change or not to correct that. They told me to contact IRCC and see if they can correct their record without Legal name change.

Becksterd

Apr 15, 2010
Edmonton, AB
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
05-2013
IELTS Request
14-02-2014
Med's Request
10-2013
Med's Done....
11-2013
Passport Req..
02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-2014
LANDED..........
04-2014
thanks for the suggestion. When I first came here to Canada , I have my name in correct order then I got my PR in 2016 and noticed my name became interchanged . I informed to my immigration consultant that time and was told it shouldn't be any issue. So the time I arrived here till before I got my PR , my name is in correct order. I believe they messed up my name while processing my PR application and I didn't aware that and didn't know it would become an issue until I have my student loan application got hold due to incorrect naming order. My last resort is to do legal name change, but I couldn't get a hold of any one from IRCC to ask about the correct way to fix that. Service Canada officer said legal name change is not needed in my case but I am not entirely sure with the IRCC side though. Email reply from IRCC said they will correct if the mistake is from them without any charges but I don't know how they will rectify whether the mistake is from them or not. And I do not want to risk sending my application along with Citizenship certificate and wait for the ages without knowing if they will fix it or not.
maybe check with the loan dept if an affidavit will suffice?

Reactions: armoured

fantazyprince

Star Member
Apr 9, 2016
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Never received
AOR Received.
06- August-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
05-Jan-2015
Passport Req..
Patiently waiting

j87

Star Member
Feb 21, 2016
Best and easiest to change after.
Get legal name change and then apply for proof of citizenship then apply passport
or apply passport then proof of citizenship and then another new passport
Does it mean I can get the police certificate and apply for name changing, as I am waiting for the citizenship paper at this moment?
Thanks!

Becksterd

Apr 15, 2010
Edmonton, AB
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
05-2013
IELTS Request
14-02-2014
Med's Request
10-2013
Med's Done....
11-2013
Passport Req..
02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-2014
LANDED..........
04-2014
Does it mean I can get the police certificate and apply for name changing, as I am waiting for the citizenship paper at this moment?
Thanks!
What is your situation with your name?
You will need to show some documents with the right name to police

j87

Star Member
Feb 21, 2016
What is your situation with your name?
You will need to show some documents with the right name to police
I should say I have no issues with my name, but just want to change my name and my maid name

sorry for the wrong expression before

fantazyprince

Star Member
Apr 9, 2016
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Never received
AOR Received.
06- August-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
05-Jan-2015
Passport Req..
Patiently waiting
maybe check with the loan dept if an affidavit will suffice?
no issue with loan dept, issue is from Service Canada. As name in their system is reversed, my application is rejected from Service canada when Alberta student loan is asking their approval on my application.

eanassah

Sep 23, 2021
Today I just checked my profile. Finally, everything checks out to be completed.
Ceremony - not yet though.

*No separate email was sent regarding the next step or date for the ceremony or email re: sending anymore documents.

I am not sure. Any advice?

mumbaikar

Star Member
May 16, 2012
Go for option 2 its easite

- Keep your application for name change ready
- As soon as you take oath - Get citizenship certificate
- Apply for name change
- get the name change certificate
- update SIN, Driver License, Health Card,
- Apply for passport with name change certificate under the new name
Hi, Did you follow this method?

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
So what happens to old university certificates obtained under the old name? Assuming you don't change your name back in your country of origin?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So what happens to old university certificates obtained under the old name? Assuming you don't change your name back in your country of origin?
Nothing happens to them. They remain how they were. First, there aren't that many contexts in which anyone asks to see them. And if you do need to show them, you show your change of name documentation. That's it.

You don't need to go back and change your school leaving certificates, sunday school graduation, or girl scout awards either.

• Haha
Reactions: DimT44

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
Nothing happens to them. They remain how they were. First, there aren't that many contexts in which anyone asks to see them. And if you do need to show them, you show your change of name documentation. That's it.

You don't need to go back and change your school leaving certificates, sunday school graduation, or girl scout awards either.
*Starts panicking about all my scout awards* Hahaha awesome thanks!

Reactions: armoured

Manny02

Star Member
Sep 21, 2021
Thank You. I will double check on that. I'm in Alberta as well. I need to done that asap to get my loan payment as I'm already attending my school and I paid tuition and fees paid from my credit line because of that name issue :(
Hey did you change your name legally , i am in that process- if you did pls asssit me as well.

b@lvinder

Jul 18, 2022
I have query related name split
When I landed in Canada in 2018
In my passport everything was in given name
Given Name - ABC XYZ
Last Name - Blank

Landing documents reflect everything in last name
Given Name - Blank
Last Name - ABC XYZ

In 2021 I have corrected my name in my passport in Canada
Given Name - ABC
Last Name - XYZ

I have send the renewal application for new PR with name split requirement as well and after three month I have received the card with renewal and they have not the name
Name is already corrected in my DL and health card and proof given was Indian passport
I have also applied for citizenship. I thought name will be corrected in PR meanwhile

What all my option now. How to go about.
Any suggestions here?