+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Legal Name Change - before or after obtaining citizenship? What are your thoughts?

limhockkiong

Star Member
Mar 2, 2016
Guys, I posted a name conundrum in an earlier thread:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/eastern-first-name-last-name-conundrum-on-citizenship-application.730127/#post-9363905

To summarize the previous post, my full name is incorrectly written (not mis-spelled) as my last name. And my first and middle or given names have no entry on all my Canadian documents. Blank.

Example: Kim Jong Un is as my last name. My first and middle names or given names have no entries on the following docs: Alberta Healthcare Card, Alberta Driver's License, PR Card, SIN.

Why?
Because of how my name is written on my passport. Together with the other documents from my home country (birth and marriage certificates), they do not split the name into first, last, given, family or surname. Just a full name.

I believe this is quite common in several Asian countries. When we did our landing 3 years ago, our Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) papers only had our full names written under last name. Subsequently, all Canadian docs followed.

To comply with Canadian name system, my name would be: Jong Un (First Name) and Kim (Last Name).

What am I asking here?
As we are nearing the timeline for Canadian citizenship application, I want to give this another serious thought. Thank you @Das67 and @ls200608 for your previous replies on the thread above.

My thoughts:

1. Name change BEFORE citizenship application
- Get legal name change and correct all paperwork at the provincial level (i.e. Alberta).
- Correct all paperwork at the federal level (SIN and PR Card).
- When names are changed to the right order (essentially I am not getting a new name, just correcting the order of my names), proceed with citizenship application.

versus....

2. Name change AFTER obtaining citizenship
- Proceed with citizenship application process with my current "incorrect" name, consistent with how it appears on all Canadian docs.
- Get legal name change after receiving citizenship

I am inclined towards the second path (i.e name change after citizenship) as it saves a lot of trouble and potential confusion or errors in my citizenship application. But, I am not sure what it means afterwards. Will I receive a citizenship certificate on successful citizenship application? And would a legal name change after citizenship means changing a lot more docs and potentially very complex compared to changing name before application?

Please share your thoughts of what challenges with both options and any other advice or thoughts I may need to consider when filling up the citizenship application form, etc

For Cultural Awareness Only: "Kim" would not be my given name. It is actually my surname, but it is written first. E.g. "Xi" is the surname of President Xi Jinping in China. "Moon" is the surname of President Moon Jae-In in South Korea. has You get the drill.

Reactions: abrakadabra

wink

May 25, 2021
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/eastern-first-name-last-name-conundrum-on-citizenship-application.730127/#post-9363905

To summarize the previous post, my full name is incorrectly written (not mis-spelled) as my last name. And my first and middle or given names have no entry on all my Canadian documents. Blank.

Example: Kim Jong Un is as my last name. My first and middle names or given names have no entries on the following docs: Alberta Healthcare Card, Alberta Driver's License, PR Card, SIN.

Why?
Because of how my name is written on my passport. Together with the other documents from my home country (birth and marriage certificates), they do not split the name into first, last, given, family or surname. Just a full name.

I believe this is quite common in several Asian countries. When we did our landing 3 years ago, our Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) papers only had our full names written under last name. Subsequently, all Canadian docs followed.

To comply with Canadian name system, my name would be: Jong Un (First Name) and Kim (Last Name).

What am I asking here?
As we are nearing the timeline for Canadian citizenship application, I want to give this another serious thought. Thank you @Das67 and @ls200608 for your previous replies on the thread above.

My thoughts:

- Get legal name change and correct all paperwork at the provincial level (i.e. Alberta).
- When names are changed to the right order (essentially I am not getting a new name, just correcting the order of my names), proceed with citizenship application.

versus....

- Proceed with citizenship application process with my current "incorrect" name, consistent with how it appears on all Canadian docs.

I am inclined towards the second path (i.e name change after citizenship) as it saves a lot of trouble and potential confusion or errors in my citizenship application. But, I am not sure what it means afterwards. Will I receive a citizenship certificate on successful citizenship application? And would a legal name change after citizenship means changing a lot more docs and potentially very complex compared to changing name before application?

Please share your thoughts of what challenges with both options and any other advice or thoughts I may need to consider when filling up the citizenship application form, etc

For Cultural Awareness Only: "Kim" would not be my given name. It is actually my surname, but it is written first. E.g. "Xi" is the surname of President Xi Jinping in China. "Moon" is the surname of President Moon Jae-In in South Korea. has You get the drill.
Yes, option 2 is the better one.

This thread discusses some of the issues in this regard:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/name-change-before-or-after-getting-canadian-passport.713634/post-9062968

Reactions: limhockkiong

Becksterd

Apr 15, 2010
Edmonton, AB
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
05-2013
IELTS Request
14-02-2014
Med's Request
10-2013
Med's Done....
11-2013
Passport Req..
02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-2014
LANDED..........
04-2014
Do it after...
I did mine after, easy peasy... just a waiting game for new documents.

j87

Star Member
Feb 21, 2016
Hi there, I am having the similar problem, but I am in Ontario.
Wondering if I should change my name after receiving the paper of oath path, or I can change it before the receiving the paper? (Oath path is coming soon)

thanks!

Becksterd

Apr 15, 2010
Edmonton, AB
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
05-2013
IELTS Request
14-02-2014
Med's Request
10-2013
Med's Done....
11-2013
Passport Req..
02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-2014
LANDED..........
04-2014
Hi there, I am having the similar problem, but I am in Ontario.
Wondering if I should change my name after receiving the paper of oath path, or I can change it before the receiving the paper? (Oath path is coming soon)

thanks!
Best and easiest to change after.
Get legal name change and then apply for proof of citizenship then apply passport
or apply passport then proof of citizenship and then another new passport

limhockkiong

Star Member
Mar 2, 2016
@Becksterd @wink thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience.

@Becksterd Can you outline the steps you took after you have your "new" name? Who do you have to reach out to in order to update the new name on the docs, what docs and what you need to show and timelines?

@j87 It sounds like you have already submitted your citizenship application and am just waiting for your oath. Did you submit your application with your "incorrect" name?

Last edited:

myscanada

Star Member
Sep 7, 2018
Best and easiest to change after.
Get legal name change and then apply for proof of citizenship then apply passport
or apply passport then proof of citizenship and then another new passport
You don't need a new certificate to have a passport after the name change, a name change certificate is enough now

myscanada

Star Member
Sep 7, 2018

Why?

What am I asking here?

My thoughts:

versus....

Go for option 2 its easite

- Keep your application for name change ready
- As soon as you take oath - Get citizenship certificate
- Apply for name change
- get the name change certificate
- update SIN, Driver License, Health Card,
- Apply for passport with name change certificate under the new name

Reactions: mumbaikar

limhockkiong

Star Member
Mar 2, 2016
@myscanada Thanks for the advice. Seems like it is clear Option 2 is easiest.

How do we update SIN and update the citizenship certificate following a successful name change?

myscanada

Star Member
Sep 7, 2018
@myscanada Thanks for the advice. Seems like it is clear Option 2 is easiest.

How do we update SIN and update the citizenship certificate following a successful name change?
Once you get the name change certificate, submit the SIN request

Apply for a proof of citizenship once you get a name change, to get it under new name

Becksterd

Apr 15, 2010
Edmonton, AB
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
05-2013
IELTS Request
14-02-2014
Med's Request
10-2013
Med's Done....
11-2013
Passport Req..
02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-2014
LANDED..........
04-2014
@Becksterd @wink thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience.

@Becksterd Can you outline the steps you took after you have your "new" name? Who do you have to reach out to in order to update the new name on the docs, what docs and what you need to show and timelines?

@j87 It sounds like you have already submitted your citizenship application and am just waiting for your oath. Did you submit your application with your "incorrect" name?
You are welcome.

You need to get all your ID changed to ur new name. SIN, drivers, medical, work, etc.

Mine was a basic name change that only affected my indian passport, all my Canadian docs except SIN are with my new name. My name was in the wrong order on my Indian passport which started all the confusion. Somehow all other documents since I was born are correct. Still it was easier to proceed with incorrect name order for citizenship as I had to go through hoops to get my Indian passport changed.

Your COPR will never change as that is the name u landed with.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Why?
I agree with others here that it will be easiest if you get citizenship first and then change your name afterwards - because the formal name (as in passports etc) is critical for things like passports.

But in terms of complying or working with the name system by Canadian custom (or just as you wish) - there is nothing stopping you from using 'your' version of your name in customary usage. (With important proviso that of course you can't do so with any bad intent to deceive others, etc). Just use it, do it consistently, and in any contexts you need to or are requested to, identify that it is an alias you've used (IRCC forms for example).

In many/most cases (semi-official and of course all informal), using a version of your current name will be perfectly accepted and no-one would even blink an eye (esp in Canada where use of 'Canadianized' versions is common).

This is analogous to an ancient common-law practice where using a name consistently was/is a valid way to change one's name, legally. It's less common now and not so simple in some jurisdictions (may not work) and not well suited to some modern circumstances (cross border especially).

But for day to day usage you may find it's enough and won't conflict with your longer-term plans.

Side note: you might also do a thing common in some cultures - always capitalize the family name, whatever order you might use. This helps identify that one as the family name.

fantazyprince

Star Member
Apr 9, 2016
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Never received
AOR Received.
06- August-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
05-Jan-2015
Passport Req..
Patiently waiting
You are welcome.

You need to get all your ID changed to ur new name. SIN, drivers, medical, work, etc.

Mine was a basic name change that only affected my indian passport, all my Canadian docs except SIN are with my new name. My name was in the wrong order on my Indian passport which started all the confusion. Somehow all other documents since I was born are correct. Still it was easier to proceed with incorrect name order for citizenship as I had to go through hoops to get my Indian passport changed.

Your COPR will never change as that is the name u landed with.
I have a similar situation. I have my First and Last name interchanged in the IRCC record and Instead of AA as first name BB as last name, I have AA as last name and BB as my first name in government record. I have been to service Canada twice and they cannot do anything apart from advising me to contact IRCC and they also advised me that legal name change request is not needed in my case. All my other IDs like driver license, health card and passport has correct order of my name despite my Canadian citizen certificate came out as wrong first and last name in position according to IRCC record. But I couldn't get a hold of IRCC and I'm lost as to what to do with that. I applied for my student loan and now my application is on hold because of the wrong order of name on my SIN . Please advise if you have any knowledge on this matter.

fantazyprince

Star Member
Apr 9, 2016
Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Never received
AOR Received.
06- August-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
05-Jan-2015
Passport Req..
Patiently waiting
I also has the similar situation and I'm totally lost now. I have my First and Last name interchanged in the IRCC record and instead of AA as first name BB as my last name, I have AA as last name and BB as my first name in government record . I have been to service Canada twice and they cannot do anything apart from advising me to contact IRCC and they also advised me that legal name change request is not needed in my case. All my other IDs like driver license, health card and passport has correct order of my name despite my Canadian citizen certificate came out as wrong first and last name in position according to IRCC record. I have serious problem now as I applied for student loan for the this fall term and my application is placing on hold as my name on the government record and SIN not in the correct order as I have in my photo ID and as I provided to them . Service Canada is keep declining my application due to mix match of first and last name in place. I need to correct it urgently to get my loan to continue my study and need to done that as an urgent matter but I am not sure If I need to do the Legal name change in my case . I tried to contact IRCC and couldn’t get a hold of them and all the email replies are not that specific as to how to correct my naming order error. Please advise If anyone of you have any knowledge about that. Sorry for the owner of original post as I didn't get any reply or advice on my own post and wondering if someone can give advice here since all you seems to encounter similar issue in the past.

Becksterd

Apr 15, 2010
Edmonton, AB
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
05-2013
IELTS Request
14-02-2014
Med's Request
10-2013
Med's Done....
11-2013
Passport Req..
02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-2014
LANDED..........
04-2014
I have a similar situation. I have my First and Last name interchanged in the IRCC record and Instead of AA as first name BB as last name, I have AA as last name and BB as my first name in government record. I have been to service Canada twice and they cannot do anything apart from advising me to contact IRCC and they also advised me that legal name change request is not needed in my case. All my other IDs like driver license, health card and passport has correct order of my name despite my Canadian citizen certificate came out as wrong first and last name in position according to IRCC record. But I couldn't get a hold of IRCC and I'm lost as to what to do with that. I applied for my student loan and now my application is on hold because of the wrong order of name on my SIN . Please advise if you have any knowledge on this matter.
You will still need a legal name change because ur Canadian citizenship certificate is in the wrong order. When you get your legal name change you can change your SIN name and continue with loan processing and alongside submit application for new citizenship certificate (proof of citizenship). Once you get the new proof you can get CAD passport. You will need your name in the right order eventually for CPP.