+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Eastern First Name Last Name Conundrum On Citizenship Application

limhockkiong

Star Member
Mar 2, 2016
I will use Kim Jong Un as an example (please don't take any offense!). If my passport and birth certificate do not differentiate between First (or Given) and Last (or Surname) names, and only say Name: Kim Jong Un what should I state my First and Last Names?

My family name or surname or in the Western system, last name, will be "Kim". And my given name will be "Jong Un". When I purchase air tickets, I would always say my last name is "Kim" and given name or first name "Jong Un". When I filed my income tax with CRA, I'd use the same too. My SIN, however, has only my Last Name as "Kim Jong Un" and blank entry for my given name.

Does anyone else have this conundrum and what do you do in your citizenship application?

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
@Das67 PR Card:

Name KIM JONG UN

@ls200608 My passport does not separate into First/Given Name and Last/Family Name. It just has "Name".
My suggestion is stick with your PR card and other Canadian issued IDs like DL and Healthcare card. That is how your name will be displayed on your citizenship certificate. My wife was advised by call center agent to keep her name consistent with how it was written on her PR card and other Canadian IDs when the configuration is different on her passport.

Reactions: carl321

limhockkiong

Star Member
Mar 2, 2016
@Das67 Thanks Das. I'm just unsure if the citizenship application form accepts a blank entry on first name, i.e no first/given name. I don't think it will accept.

Again on the following documents, my name appears:

1. PR Card
Name KIM JONG UN

2. SIN
First Name / Prenom:
Middle Name(s) / Second(s) prenom(s):
Family Name(s) / Nom(s) de familie: Kim Jong Un

Note there is no entry on both First and Middle names (i.e. blank)

3. Passport
Name KIM JONG UN
Unfortunately my passport does not separate between First and Last Names. It just has Name.

4. Alberta Health Care Card
Last Name: Kim Jong Un
First Name:
Middle Name:

5. CRA
When I filed my income tax in the last 3 years, I had my name as:
First Name: Jong Un
Last Name: Kim

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
@Das67 Thanks Das. I'm just unsure if the citizenship application form accepts a blank entry on first name, i.e no first/given name. I don't think it will accept.

Again on the following documents, my name appears:

1. PR Card
Name KIM JONG UN

2. SIN
First Name / Prenom:
Middle Name(s) / Second(s) prenom(s):
Family Name(s) / Nom(s) de familie: Kim Jong Un

3. Passport
Name KIM JONG UN
Unfortunately my passport does not separate between First and Last Names. It just has Name.

4. Alberta Health Care Card
Last Name: Kim Jong Un
First Name:
Middle Name:

5. CRA
When I filed my income tax in the last 3 years, I had my name as:
First Name: Jong Un
Last Name: Kim
You should be fine to write it as it's on your passport, PR card and AB health card , if you check the new application form CT0002-E the family name is a mandatory entry ( red) and given name is not a mandatory entry. You can leave the given name entry blank and still be able to validate the form so you are good.