+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Legal Name Change - before or after obtaining citizenship? What are your thoughts?

CanEuro

Star Member
Sep 4, 2020
Guys what's the timeline for getting legal name changed in Ontario nowadays. Also if you answer yes to any of the following questions then you need police clearance otherwise no. Can any seniors please shed some experience here. Thank you

Last edited:

limhockkiong

Star Member
Mar 2, 2016
@Becksterd in the middle of the citizenship process now. Just to confirm,

1. Are/ were you in Alberta when you went through your citizenship process and legal name change?

2. Did you complete the citizenship process and only after that, you did a legal name change?

3. You got a certificate of citizenship with your previous name. And then you did a legal name change and apply for a new citizenship certificate with your new (current) name?

4. You apply for your Canadian passport using the new name with the new Canadian citizenship certificate?

5. If yes, how long did it take for these steps?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
4. You apply for your Canadian passport using the new name with the new Canadian citizenship certificate?
IRCC website is VERY clear: you can apply for passport using your [old name] citizenship certificate plus the change of name legal docs.

You do NOT need to wait for a new citizenship certificate. This is a fact and has been demonstrated many times.

(In fact, personal opinion only, there is basically no need to ever apply for a new citizenship certificate, as anyone who asks will/must accept the old citizenship certificate plus change of name docs. Also, after getting your passport, most people never have to show their citizenship certificate again. But sure, get one if you wish).

b@lvinder

Jul 18, 2022
I have query related name split
When I landed in Canada in 2018
In my passport everything was in given name
Given Name - ABC XYZ
Last Name - Blank

Landing documents reflect everything in last name
Given Name - Blank
Last Name - ABC XYZ

In 2021 I have corrected my name in my passport in Canada
Given Name - ABC
Last Name - XYZ

I have send the renewal application for new PR with name split requirement as well and after three month I have received the card with renewal and they have not the name
Name is already corrected in my DL and health card and proof given was Indian passport
I have also applied for citizenship. I thought name will be corrected in PR meanwhile

What all my option now. How to go about.
Any suggestions here?

b@lvinder

Jul 18, 2022
I have query related name split
When I landed in Canada in 2018
In my passport everything was in given name
Given Name - ABC XYZ
Last Name - Blank

Landing documents reflect everything in last name
Given Name - Blank
Last Name - ABC XYZ

In 2021 I have corrected my name in my passport in Canada
Given Name - ABC
Last Name - XYZ

I have send the renewal application for new PR with name split requirement as well and after three month I have received the card with renewal and they have not the name
Name is already corrected in my DL and health card and proof given was Indian passport
I have also applied for citizenship. I thought name will be corrected in PR meanwhile

What all my option now. How to go about.
Any suggestions here?
[/QUOTE]

Can anyone answer for my query

Canadianavisa2017

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
Hello Everyone,

My wife has applied for Canadian Citizenship and her test is due next month. She would like to change her surname i.e. from her father's surname to my surname. Can anyone suggest, how to change the surname during the citizenship application process? If we use the webform which category should we choose? Thank you

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello Everyone,

My wife has applied for Canadian Citizenship and her test is due next month. She would like to change her surname i.e. from her father's surname to my surname. Can anyone suggest, how to change the surname during the citizenship application process? If we use the webform which category should we choose? Thank you
You've asked this q in multiple threads, where there are already answers.

bhvuan

Star Member
Oct 15, 2017
One question regarding legal name change application. Is it mandatory to provide birth certificate?

raamsen

Nov 5, 2016
One question regarding legal name change application. Is it mandatory to provide birth certificate?
I submitted mine without birth certificate along with explanation letter as why I dotnt have one. I ll let you know once I am hear back

raamsen

Nov 5, 2016
Guys what's the timeline for getting legal name changed in Ontario nowadays. Also if you answer yes to any of the following questions then you need police clearance otherwise no. Can any seniors please shed some experience here. Thank you
Hello, did you apply for legal name change in Ontario ? If yes how much did it take for you to receive the name change certificate?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello, did you apply for legal name change in Ontario ? If yes how much did it take for you to receive the name change certificate?
What does the ontario website say, 30-60 days? I do recall others who have done have confirmed it has reliably been within the timeframes posted.

ranjeeth87

Aug 19, 2015
I submitted mine without birth certificate along with explanation letter as why I dotnt have one. I ll let you know once I am hear back
Hello, were you able to change the name with your explanation letter? If yes, what is the content you mentioned in the letter? In my case in the 80s rural India birth certificate was not mandatory in hospitals. Is it similar to your case?

raamsen

Nov 5, 2016
Hello, were you able to change the name with your explanation letter? If yes, what is the content you mentioned in the letter? In my case in the 80s rural India birth certificate was not mandatory in hospitals. Is it similar to your case?
My name change was approved with the explanation letter. Just mention the scenario in your case. you can mention what did you use as proof to get indian passport , immigration and etc