+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Legal name change - Apply for new PR Card early - 5 years start from now?

VermiciousKnish

Feb 27, 2014
If one were to apply for a new PR card now because of a legal name change (Got married and current card does not expire until 2021) would the next 5 year cycle start from date new PR card is issued (now) or would you still need to renew again in 2021?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If one were to apply for a new PR card now because of a legal name change (Got married and current card does not expire until 2021) would the next 5 year cycle start from date new PR card is issued (now) or would you still need to renew again in 2021?
The new PR card should be valid for 5 years.

Note that the PR card validity/expiry has zero to do with the Residency Obligation.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Do you know for certain that it would be valid for 5 more years?

Which sub-category should this posting go into then?
People who have apply for replace cards receive 5 years, so a name change would too.

PR card validity does not reflect PR status, so there is no point in issuing a new card as per the validity of the previous one.

Fabia

Apr 26, 2014
Hi
  • My Wife Last name on her Passport got changed, will it be a problem to travel with different last name on PR card and passport . should i apply for a reissue of PR card or will it be ok to travel. she is currently in INDIA. if we apply for reissue of card the card will arrive here so I'm confused how to do this now
Please help

Thanks