+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Left Canda as a minor

Ramadanoa

Oct 13, 2017
Left Canada as a minor 10 years ago, and want to go back to live and attend the university (now 18 years old). If I try the land boarder as advised by several threads in this forum using the landing documents that to live/attend the university in Montreal (Quebec), is it possible for me to have the following:
1) an ID/or Driving License;
2) Health Insurance Card (if yes, how long does it take to be issued?);
3) Open bank account; and
4) re-activate my SIN?
If no, then which Province is recommended?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Left Canada as a minor 10 years ago, and want to go back to live and attend the university (now 18 years old). If I try the land boarder as advised by several threads in this forum using the landing documents that to live/attend the university in Montreal (Quebec), is it possible for me to have the following:
1) an ID/or Driving License;
2) Health Insurance Card (if yes, how long does it take to be issued?);
3) Open bank account; and
4) re-activate my SIN?
If no, then which Province is recommended?
It would most likely be a much better idea to apply for a PRTD with H&C considerations. If you go the PRTD route and are approved under H&C (which you almost certainly will be) - then you can apply for a new PR card as soon as you have entered Canada.

If you instead enter through a land border, you'll need to live in Canada for 2 years to meet the residency requirement before you'll be able to apply for a new PR card. This means that you'll want to avoid traveling outside of Canada for those 2 years. It may also be difficult to be accepted as a domestic student by a university without a valid PR card. Without a valid PR card, it may also be difficult to get health care coverage, etc.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
We have also seen that PRs that bave left as minors are now getting denied PR for H&C reasons. Likely too many people claiming and most of them had very little connection to Canada. If you are reported there will be a good chance that your PR will be revoked. It would be up to you whether coming to Canada is worth it knowing that you may have to leave.

Pamela123

Mar 17, 2019
It would most likely be a much better idea to apply for a PRTD with H&C considerations. If you go the PRTD route and are approved under H&C (which you almost certainly will be) - then you can apply for a new PR card as soon as you have entered Canada.

If you instead enter through a land border, you'll need to live in Canada for 2 years to meet the residency requirement before you'll be able to apply for a new PR card. This means that you'll want to avoid traveling outside of Canada for those 2 years. It may also be difficult to be accepted as a domestic student by a university without a valid PR card. Without a valid PR card, it may also be difficult to get health care coverage, etc.
But if she gets reported? Will she be able to enter anyways? I’m in her same shoes, with the difference that I’ll be going with my husband and 3kids who aren’t Pr. Will they be able to get in with a visitor visa?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
But if she gets reported? Will she be able to enter anyways? I’m in her same shoes, with the difference that I’ll be going with my husband and 3kids who aren’t Pr. Will they be able to get in with a visitor visa?
A PR whether they have met the residency obligation or not is entitled to enter the country even if they are reported at the border which subject to appeal could lead to PR status being revoked.

Having failed the residency obligation if reported then arriving with husband and 3 kids who are not PR whether they are allowed to enter or at least remain for anything longer than a few weeks impossible for anyone here to predict.

If having failed the residency obligation the PR is not reported then they would need to stay put for 2 plus years and in that time have little or no contact with immigration. This means no PR card renewal and even possibly no attempts to sponsor anyone until the residency obligation has been met.

So even if husband and 3 kids are allowed in as visitors without any benefits, work for the husband or access to healthcare it seems improbable that they could remain long enough to gain sponsored PR status if that is the plan, but that’s only my view.

In fact a PR arriving with husband and 3 kids who are visitors could even be a red flag to CBSA that the families intention is to stay beyond any authorised visit, so restricting any stay accordingly.

Again above is only my personal view and sure others will comment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buletruck

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
That's a very big difference. There's a very high likelihood your children and husband won't be able to TRVs. Even if they can and you are able to enter Canada without being reported, you'll need to wait for 2 years before you can sponsor them for PR. It will take around another year for your to sponsor them. This means your family will be living in Canada for at least three years without any health care coverage (you will have to pay for all health care out of your own pocket) and your husband will be unable to work.

This plan is very unlikely to succeed. You probably won't even get as far as getting the TRVs approved.

Your most realistic option is to renounce your PR status and apply again from scratch.

Reactions: Buletruck