+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Left Canada without informing RAMQ, consequences? Lease as proof ?

orodeshah

Mar 14, 2015
I left Canad (quebec) 2 years ago without informing Ramq, naturally I have not used their service during this period, now I am coming back to reside in Quebec, can it have consequences? should I prepare myself for extra scrutiny by Ramq ? actually I am not worried for myself, I will buy private insurance and if receiving Ramq covering takes longer I can extend my private insurance, but my wife is pregnant and I am afraid if a delay happens in my case, there will be delay in her application too.

In the past, first when I came to Canada I gave home leasing of my parents as a proof of residence, currently I see in Ramq website that home Lease is not accepted as a proof of residence, what can I present as a proof of residence few days after coming back to Canada ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I left Canad (quebec) 2 years ago without informing Ramq, naturally I have not used their service during this period, now I am coming back to reside in Quebec, can it have consequences? should I prepare myself for extra scrutiny by Ramq ? actually I am not worried for myself, I will buy private insurance and if receiving Ramq covering takes longer I can extend my private insurance, but my wife is pregnant and I am afraid if a delay happens in my case, there will be delay in her application too.

In the past, first when I came to Canada I gave home leasing of my parents as a proof of residence, currently I see in Ramq website that home Lease is not accepted as a proof of residence, what can I present as a proof of residence few days after coming back to Canada ?
You will need to provide the documents required like bank account, utility bills, lease, etc. These requirements are in place to prevent people from arriving in Canada only to use healthcare and not to live, work and then benefit from the healthcare system. RAMQ has likely been frozen and you need to reapply anyways because you have not met the residency requirements. You can’t leave your quarantine location for 14 days so you’ll need to do that first.

adomanim

Star Member
Dec 28, 2019
Remember that the health care system, while Federally mandated, is Provincially supplied. As a resident of Québec, you are not eligible for OHIP coverage. Likewise the reverse: a resident of Ontario is not eligible for RAMQ. In theory, this means that if you take your RAMQ card to an Ottawa clinic, they will (most likely) not accept it, you'd have to pay out of pocket, provide a receipt and justification to RAMQ for seeking health services out-of-province, and they'd then (ideally) reimburse you.

In practice, this means that as a Québec resident, you are effectively not eligible for medicare anywhere else in Canada, as RAMQ will not accept as justification anything but grave mortal danger. Even then, they'll only reimburse some 70-90% of the costs.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Remember that the health care system, while Federally mandated, is Provincially supplied. As a resident of Québec, you are not eligible for OHIP coverage. Likewise the reverse: a resident of Ontario is not eligible for RAMQ. In theory, this means that if you take your RAMQ card to an Ottawa clinic, they will (most likely) not accept it, you'd have to pay out of pocket, provide a receipt and justification to RAMQ for seeking health services out-of-province, and they'd then (ideally) reimburse you.

In practice, this means that as a Québec resident, you are effectively not eligible for medicare anywhere else in Canada, as RAMQ will not accept as justification anything but grave mortal danger. Even then, they'll only reimburse some 70-90% of the costs.
Actually in the greater Ottawa-Hull area it is not uncommon for people to come to Ontario and use their RAMQ. The big issue is the RAMQ doesn’t pay as much and can take a long time to pay physicians or hospitals out of Quebec so you need to verify whether RAMQ will be accepted before making an appointment with a physician in Ontario.

adomanim

Star Member
Dec 28, 2019
Actually in the greater Ottawa-Hull area it is not uncommon for people to come to Ontario and use their RAMQ. The big issue is the RAMQ doesn’t pay as much and can take a long time to pay physicians or hospitals out of Quebec so you need to verify whether RAMQ will be accepted before making an appointment with a physician in 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 jpg to pdf Ontario.
this means that if you take your RAMQ card to an Ottawa clinic ?