+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

left Canada shortly after landed,.. what will happen on our return??

vannia

Oct 18, 2012
Hello,
Our family landed in Canada a few months ago, we stayed shortly and returned to our home country.
My husband is considering a job offer in Canada, so we will likely be returning soon, we don't knowa
what (if anything) will happen because of our departure, and also what is the procedure for returning as
a PR instead of landing?

THank you

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Basically, at the arrival hall (assume you arrive at a Canadian airport), you show your PR card and declaration card to the customs officer. The custom officer will ask you questions. If he is satisfied, he will let you go.

manianz47

Sep 15, 2008
Hi

And if the PR card is not available, you may need to get Travel Documents using your COPR to enter Canada

A

achander

vannia said:
Im sorry, what does COPR stand for?
COPR = Confirmation of Permanent Residence

Do you have a PR card yet? If so i think you should be okay. Since you became a PR only a few months back, i don't think you should have any issues at immigration. If you don't have a PR card you will need to apply for a Travel document (see CIC website for details). Once you get your travel document, you can travel to Canada. Now if you are traveling by road, then you can enter with your COPR.

It is not unusual for people to land and then go back to their country of origin to wrap up things. So don't worry but have the right documentation for sure.

good luck

cableguy78

Apr 20, 2012
Hello,

I recently got my immigrant visa and COPR papers under the QSW category.

I am doing my landing process this saturday (oct 27 2012) and will be in Quebec for 5 days and will return to USA (where I work, originally citizen of india) to complete all my stuff. Then I plan to move back to Quebec permanently in Jan/Feb 2013.

I am going to apply for my PR card during landing process by giving them my friends address who lives there. I know it can take a lot of time before the PR card is received. So, when i come back to USA (in five days time) I will be applying for a travel document so that i can enter canada again. I had a few questions about travel document procedure.

I will be applying at the NYC consulate for the travel document as i live here in the city. Since I would have been in quebec only for five days, is it ok for me to apply for this travel permit? Would there be any reason of them refusing to give me a travel document to get back into canada?

vannia

Oct 18, 2012
Thank you achander, I do have some PR documents, so I guess we are 'on the system', I also noted your card took almost 150 days, so i feel better about not having received it yet.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cableguy78 said:
I will be applying at the NYC consulate for the travel document as i live here in the city. Since I would have been in quebec only for five days, is it ok for me to apply for this travel permit? Would there be any reason of them refusing to give me a travel document to get back into canada?
They can not refuse you because you are not in breach of the residency obligation. In order to meet the obligation, you need at least 730 days in Canada in your first 5 years and every 5 yrs. after that. That means you are allowed to be outside Canada for up to 3 years in every 5. That means you can not possibly be in breach of the residency obligation until you have been a PR for at least 3 years.