+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Left canada immediately after applying for CTZ APP.

glass77

Star Member
Jun 15, 2012
hello Everyone,

I need some advice on this one, left Canada for 7weeks immediately after applying for citizenship. I read on the cic website that its ok to leave Canada after the application.

Now somewhere in the forum I read that I need to to inform CIC if I am leaving Canada for more than 2 weeks.

my plan is to call CIC on Monday and inform them that I left Canada ,Is that going to affect my application just because I informed them after leaving the country./ OR I informed them late?

Don't know what to do, I thought I had to inform them only just because cic letters and other communication might not be done on the right time , Never knew that I had to inform them just for leaving Canada.

Help would be appreciated, Please Advise.

DAN11

Star Member
Nov 22, 2014
glass77 said:
hello Everyone,

I need some advice on this one, left Canada for 7weeks immediately after applying for citizenship. I read on the cic website that its ok to leave Canada after the application.

Now somewhere in the forum I read that I need to to inform CIC if I am leaving Canada for more than 2 weeks.

my plan is to call CIC on Monday and inform them that I left Canada ,Is that going to affect my application just because I informed them after leaving the country./ OR I informed them late?

Don't know what to do, I thought I had to inform them only just because cic letters and other communication might not be done on the right time , Never knew that I had to inform them just for leaving Canada.

Help would be appreciated, Please Advise.
I would like to know how they come about saying CIC needs to be in once leaving Canada after applying for Citizenship once its over 2 weeks. Never read on CIC website neither the experts who did my application mention that to me. Would be such a waste to call CIC to ask of that as those CIC reps don't have a clue as to what answer they should give. I assure you if you call them, one rep may say yes and call back 30 mins after another will say no, call again another will say they don't know about that. Only the website would give you that answer. I sure if this is a reality and that important to them it would have been on the website. I would like to know where to find that.

basharar

Nov 5, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
did you leave for good or vacation?! if vacation don't worry, they probably haven't opened the file yet:)

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
But on the interview they will see an absence which is much longer than the ordinary 2 weeks vacation... and according to many recent reports when they see that on the interview they issue RQs which results a non routine application, hence long waiting time can be expected for farther processing.

zoya_99

Champion Member
Jan 30, 2015
MUFC said:
But on the interview they will see an absence which is much longer than the ordinary 2 weeks vacation... and according to many recent reports when they see that on the interview they issue RQs which results a non routine application, hence long waiting time can be expected for farther processing.
Its not necessary; unless they open our packet and our file number is generated we can't even inform them

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That will not stopping them to issue RQ on the interview if they see more than the ordinary 2 weeks absence.

Juney

Star Member
Dec 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We went out of country for 4weeks and did not inform CIC, and never had a problem.

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Many people report recently that they have had problems on the interview when they saw extended ( more than 2 weeks) travels after the submission of the application.
So you got lucky, someone else will not. what are the probabilities nobody knows since it is very hard to find the logic in CIC.

glass77

Star Member
Jun 15, 2012
hello Den,

Would you please be able to tell me who are the experts who helped you file your application.( just for the peace of mind)

here is what written in the website,

Asking questions about your application

While we process your application, you should only contact CIC if:
•you change your address,
•you plan to leave Canada for more than two weeks in a row,
•you are charged with a crime or
•we do not contact you about your file within the posted processing times

Can I leave Canada after I mail my citizenship application?

Yes. To apply for citizenship, you must have lived in Canada for three out of the last four years. Those four years are the ones leading up to the date you sign the application. There is not a requirement to stay in Canada while we process your application. However, if you must leave Canada there are several risks you should be aware of.

If you leave Canada, you must continue to meet your residency obligation to keep permanent resident (PR) status. You must be a permanent resident to become a citizen and not just when you apply. If you lose PR status before you take the Oath of Citizenship, you cannot become a citizen. Bring your PR card with you when you leave Canada so you can return easily. Make sure the card will not expire while you are outside Canada. (If your PR card expires, is does not mean you have lost PR status.)

We generally only mail letters, notices and other material to addresses in Canada. Sometimes, you must reply to these letters within a certain amount of time. If you do not reply in time, we will close your application.

You must attend meetings and other events at our offices, like your citizenship test, interview and ceremony. These events only take place in Canada. To reschedule these events or if you miss one, you must contact the CIC Call Centre. The Call Centre can only be reached from within Canada

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That is also a big issue for everyone who is in the process. Why they are so old school and sending only regular mail letter when the risk of not receiving those letters is pretty high.

If the people don't respond in a short frame, they will close the application... meanwhile the applicant doesn't have any clue that something was send to him, because the letter was lost.

This is a big stupidity in the process.

DAN11

Star Member
Nov 22, 2014
glass77 said:
hello Den,

Would you please be able to tell me who are the experts who helped you file your application.( just for the peace of mind)

Yes. To apply for citizenship, you must have lived in Canada for three out of the last four years. Those four years are the ones leading up to the date you sign the application. There is not a requirement to stay in Canada while we process your application. However, if you must leave Canada there are several risks you should be aware of.

If you leave Canada, you must continue to meet your residency obligation to keep permanent resident (PR) status. You must be a permanent resident to become a citizen and not just when you apply. If you lose PR status before you take the Oath of Citizenship, you cannot become a citizen. Bring your PR card with you when you leave Canada so you can return easily. Make sure the card will not expire while you are outside Canada. (If your PR card expires, is does not mean you have lost PR status.)

We generally only mail letters, notices and other material to addresses in Canada. Sometimes, you must reply to these letters within a certain amount of time. If you do not reply in time, we will close your application.

You must attend meetings and other events at our offices, like your citizenship test, interview and ceremony. These events only take place in Canada. To reschedule these events or if you miss one, you must contact the CIC Call Centre. The Call Centre can only be reached from within Canada
Oh you actually know of it but you asked the question sounding like you don't know unless you found the link after you posted the question - Ok, good as I mentioned in my response it would be good to know where on the website it is. Interesting to know as many left Canada longer than that and it wasnt an issue - The expert is YMCA

OP_POP

Oct 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
glass77 said:
hello Den,

Exactly!

address here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-after.asp

But one thing in mind, it says while they are "processing" your application. I think it means you should inform CIC after you receive your AOR or e-Cas shows in Process. That usually takes around 2 months after you send your application. So I think if OP did not receive his AOR or e-Cas updated during these 7 weeks, he doesn't need to inform CIC.

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
basharar said:
did you leave for good or vacation?! if vacation don't worry, they probably haven't opened the file yet:)
glass77,

This is the critical question that you have to answer before you can get a good advise.
Did you leave for good (or at least for a year)? or
Did you leave for a short time (few days, couple weeks, or max a month)?

Once you answer, you will get good advise

glass77

Star Member
Jun 15, 2012
ha-ha I had little knowledge but as you know little knowledge is always dangerous.

Had to be sure.