+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Left Canada. 22 Months Full Time Experience. Want to come back. Possible?

sidouglas

Sep 24, 2012
Hi there,

I was working in Canada for 22 months and have recently left in September 2012.
First 12 months experience as a Web Developer on a Working Holiday Visa. ( July 26th 2010 )

The next 10 months on a Work Permit at the same company. I left in June 2012 to go travelling, then left Canada in September.

Now I'm back in New Zealand, wondering if it's possible to get back into Canada and start the PR process.
I know I don't have a job offer or anything lined up.

I hold a Bachelors Degree.

Advice would be appreciated, before I go down the expensive route of Immigration Lawyers.

Thank you.
Simon.

ecstrom

May 25, 2012
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
22-02-2014
too sad u need another 2 months full-time work experience to qualify the current Canadian Experience Clasee foreign worker stream requirment. :( however, the good news is the Canadian government is going to revise the CEC policy and will reduce the two years work experience requirment to one year only for foreign work and it will be launched in early next year or maybe just on Jan 1 2013. :D

here is the official news details, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/releases/2012/2012-08-17.asp

and here is the proposal details http://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2012/2012-08-18/html/reg2-eng.html

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ecstrom said:
too sad u need another 2 months full-time work experience to qualify the current Canadian Experience Clasee foreign worker stream requirment. :( however, the good news is the Canadian government is going to revise the CEC policy and will reduce the two years work experience requirment to one year only for foreign work and it will be launched in early next year or maybe just on Jan 1 2013. :D

here is the official news details, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/releases/2012/2012-08-17.asp

and here is the proposal details http://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2012/2012-08-18/html/reg2-eng.html
$ to donuts the 1 year work experience is going to be for Graduates of Canadian schools only.

ecstrom

May 25, 2012
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
22-02-2014
PMM said:
Hi

$ to donuts the 1 year work experience is going to be for Graduates of Canadian schools only.
(c) Modification to the Canadian Experience Class

The proposal would also simplify the CEC to facilitate the transition to permanent resident status of temporary foreign skilled workers who have demonstrated that they can be employed in Canada, and to better align the CEC with other economic immigration programs that require less work experience (e.g. provincial nominee programs). (see footnote 16)

The Canadian work experience requirement would be reduced from 24 months to 12 in the preceding 36 months, to allow faster transition for those who have already proven their employability in Canada's labour market. Accumulating 12 months of authorized work within the preceding 36 is more flexible for applicants working in Canada under international agreements (e.g. International Experience Canada). Only applicants with NOC 0, A or B work experience would continue to qualify for the CEC.

The CEC regulations currently allow applicants to compensate for a lower level in one language ability with a higher level in another, resulting in a process that is complicated and confusing for both applicants and visa officers. In researching the introduction of language thresholds to the FSWC, CIC's panel of language experts and designated third-party language testing agencies strongly recommended applying the threshold across all four abilities (reading, writing, oral comprehension and speaking). Accordingly, it is proposed that a minimum language threshold would be required in each of the four abilities for applicants to the CEC. As with the FSWC, the proposed Regulations would grant the Minister the authority to set the language threshold. Initially, it is anticipated that the threshold would be set at CLB/NCLC 7, which corresponds to having “adequate intermediate proficiency” in speaking, oral comprehension, reading and writing for NOC 0 and A applicants and CLB/NCLC 5, or “initial intermediate” proficiency in each ability for NOC B applicants.

sidouglas

Sep 24, 2012
Well that all looks good.

I could apply in 2013.

However the crux of the matter is do I need to be working in Canada while I wait for the PR process. It would be nice to start the process in New Zealand and then arrive in Canada with everything in order.

Is that possible?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

ecstrom said:
(c) Modification to the Canadian Experience Class

The proposal would also simplify the CEC to facilitate the transition to permanent resident status of temporary foreign skilled workers who have demonstrated that they can be employed in Canada, and to better align the CEC with other economic immigration programs that require less work experience (e.g. provincial nominee programs). (see footnote 16)

The Canadian work experience requirement would be reduced from 24 months to 12 in the preceding 36 months, to allow faster transition for those who have already proven their employability in Canada's labour market. Accumulating 12 months of authorized work within the preceding 36 is more flexible for applicants working in Canada under international agreements (e.g. International Experience Canada). Only applicants with NOC 0, A or B work experience would continue to qualify for the CEC.

The CEC regulations currently allow applicants to compensate for a lower level in one language ability with a higher level in another, resulting in a process that is complicated and confusing for both applicants and visa officers. In researching the introduction of language thresholds to the FSWC, CIC's panel of language experts and designated third-party language testing agencies strongly recommended applying the threshold across all four abilities (reading, writing, oral comprehension and speaking). Accordingly, it is proposed that a minimum language threshold would be required in each of the four abilities for applicants to the CEC. As with the FSWC, the proposed Regulations would grant the Minister the authority to set the language threshold. Initially, it is anticipated that the threshold would be set at CLB/NCLC 7, which corresponds to having “adequate intermediate proficiency” in speaking, oral comprehension, reading and writing for NOC 0 and A applicants and CLB/NCLC 5, or “initial intermediate” proficiency in each ability for NOC B applicants.
But if you read Kenney's media statement: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/releases/2012/2012-09-14.asp He really only talks about students. IMHO, I think the CEC for students graduating will be 1 year of skilled work and other workers will continue to be 2 years. I could be wrong, I have been before, I will probably be wrong in the future.

ecstrom

May 25, 2012
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
22-02-2014
PMM said:
Hi

But if you read Kenney's media statement: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/releases/2012/2012-09-14.asp He really only talks about students. IMHO, I think the CEC for students graduating will be 1 year of skilled work and other workers will continue to be 2 years. I could be wrong, I have been before, I will probably be wrong in the future.
the current existed policy for international student requirment is one year work experience in preceding 24 months. they dont need to change that. only foreign worker who has no canadian education credential requires to have two year work experience in preceding 36 months. Summary, for international students, one year work experience in last 24 months; for foreign worker, two year work experience in last 36 month.

NEWS "In order to make the CEC even more responsive to Canada's labour market needs and economic goals, CIC is proposing changes that will expedite the transition to permanent residence of those already working successfully in Canada. With the proposed change, all applicants (means both international students and foreign workers) will require 12 months of Canadian work experience gained in the 36 months preceding their application. Some applicants currently require 24 months (refer foreigner work) of full-time work experience. This change will make the program more flexible for international student graduates (because under the new policy international student could gain their one work experince in 36 months, not 24 months any more). It will provide them with more time to launch their careers as well as gain the necessary experience to apply for permanent residency through the program."

cheers :D

ecstrom

May 25, 2012
NOC Code......
LANDED..........
22-02-2014
sidouglas said:
Well that all looks good.

I could apply in 2013.

However the crux of the matter is do I need to be working in Canada while I wait for the PR process. It would be nice to start the process in New Zealand and then arrive in Canada with everything in order.

Is that possible?
You do not have to be in employed at the time of the application. Since CEC focuses on your working history, it doesnt matter you are currently employed or not. Some immigration classes, however, such as federal skilled worker, they focus on your future working experience, because the gorvnment wonder whether you could find a job in canada after you immigrate here. With CEC which means you already have canadian working experience before, the govenment think it is much easier for you to find a job again. You even dont need to be physically residing in Canada to wait for the final decision. E.g., you worked 20 months before and quited the job and moved back to new zealand. After one year, which means 32 months later from your first employed date, you decide to submit Canadian PR application. You may spend another two months to gather all required documents and take the english test. By the time you sign your application, 34 months past from your first full-time working day, you are still eligible for CEC because you are still within 36 months working experience counting period. All CEC applications from all of the world are sending to the same location which is in Canada now and you can definitely stay at home to wait the result lol :D