+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Quebec, should I close my bank account?

niko80

Apr 21, 2014
Hi
I am leaving Quebec to wait for my PR in my country, I am in federal stage, 20 months is just complete but it is taking more time. Can you please give me advice with regard to the following questions:
- do I have to close my Quebec bank account or I can keep it open?
- if yes, should I keep little amount of money in my account?
- if I have to close it how long before I should do that?
Thanks

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
Hi
I am leaving Quebec to wait for my PR in my country, I am in federal stage, 20 months is just complete but it is taking more time. Can you please give me advice with regard to the following questions:
- do I have to close my Quebec bank account or I can keep it open?
- if yes, should I keep little amount of money in my account?
- if I have to close it how long before I should do that?
Thanks
Leave it open with amount slightly above minimum. Is there a monthly service fee than earmark the amount for six months or more. PR process is picking up in Federal so you will definitely get it in next few months.

All the best

niko80

Apr 21, 2014
Leave it open with amount slightly above minimum. Is there a monthly service fee than earmark the amount for six months or more. PR process is picking up in Federal so you will definitely get it in next few months.

All the best
Thanks. So it is legal to keep it open even I have no status in Canada? Should I keep a few hundred or a few thousand in the account?

niko80

Apr 21, 2014
when I will come back, I should show an amount in my bank account in the border or I should show my home country bank account|?

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
when I will come back, I should show an amount in my bank account in the border or I should show my home country bank account|?
You can always transfer to your canadian account before landing. Perfectly legal to leave account open in your absence here.

Good luck