+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Quebec as an Inland applicant

HarrietM

Jul 22, 2019
Hi there,

I have a question regarding leaving Quebec while my PR application (federal side) is still in process? IRCC received my application back in May 2019 however my post-graduate work visa is due to expire at the end of August 2020. I haven't had any updates on the process of my PR (no biometrics/medical requested) and am not due to receive my COPR until mid-March 2021. I am not eligible for the Quebec closed-permit bridging visa since I am self-employed. It appears as though my only option is to return to my home country (the UK) until I receive my COPR. Is the case or are there any other options? If I leave Canada, will this affect my PR application in any way? I would have to notify them of a changing address to the UK given that my work visa would have obviously expired....

Any advice or similar experiences are greatly appreciated!

frede.li

Oct 15, 2016
There is no specific requirement to restrict PR applicants staying in Canada for the federal stage process so the simple answer for your question would be No, it won't affect anything. Btw another option to stay in Canada would be Visitor Record but apparently, it won't allow you to work but just to stay here. Hope it helps.

HarrietM

Jul 22, 2019
To confirm I called up the IRCC and they said something very similar. I could either apply for a visitor visa or leave Canada and return once my PR has been confirmed. However, they did note that I should double-check with MIDI to confirm that there are no requirements in Quebec stating that you MUST stay in Canada whilst the application is being processed. I looked over my CSQ and their website and didn't see this written anywhere so I am guessing this isn't a rule but I'll likely call them regardless.