+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Montreal airport during layover

MoraesJ

Sep 19, 2018
Egypt
Hello everyone,

I'm planning to land in Edmonton but I have a 14 hours layover in Montreal. I understand that I can do my first landing in Montreal as long as I prove it's not my final destination. My question is: am I allowed to leave Montreal airport for sightseeing during my layover, after finishing the landing process?

Thanks

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Firstly if your first POE into Canada is Montreal then of course you have no real choice but to complete your landing in Montreal given of course the flight to Edmonton is a domestic flight with no immigration controls.

Sure once you have completed immigration and customs formalities you are free to leave the airport. Assuming you have a through ticket then you would drop your luggage off at a connections desk for the Edmonton sector after clearing customs , then just head for the exit.

Of course you must make sure you have a boarding pass in hand for the Edmonton sector so you can clear security when you return to the airport as well as leaving plenty of time to actually get back to the airport so make sure you research transport options taking into account of course day of week/time of day . No idea but I expect there maybe left luggage facilities at a cost at the airport for any hand carry you might not want to cart around with you so you will need check the airport website.

Last edited:
Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

MoraesJ

Sep 19, 2018
Egypt
Firstly if your first POE into Canada is Montreal then of course you have no real choice but to complete your landing in Montreal given of course the flight to Edmonton is a domestic flight with no immigration controls.

Sure once you have completed immigration and customs formalities you are free to leave the airport. Assuming you have a through ticket then you would drop your luggage off at a connections desk for the Edmonton sector after clearing customs , then just head for the exit.

Of course you must make sure you have a boarding pass in hand for the Edmonton sector so you can clear security when you return to the airport as well as leaving plenty of time to actually get back to the airport so make sure you research transport options taking into account of course day of week/time of day . No idea but I expect there maybe left luggage facilities at a cost at the airport for any hand carry you might not want to cart around with you so you will need check the airport website.
Thanks a lot for your reply. Much appreciated :)