+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving country while waiting for first PR Card

rosas

Mar 29, 2021
Hello everyone,

I got the electronic copy of confirmation of permanent residence (eCoPR) document today and am now waiting for my PR Card. I entered Canada originally on an ETA. Before the 6 months passed, I applied for an extension of my stay which was granted.

Now I have an opportunity to go the USA for something job related. I am wondering whether I will be allowed back to Canada if am not yet in possession of my PR Card. I am fully vaccinated, so at least that's out of the way. My ETA is still valid and I got the PR via family sponsorship, my wife is a Canadian citizen living here in Canada.

I would be very happy if you have some advice for me. I tried calling several numbers but nothing was too helpful.

Many thanks!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Since you require an ETA - you could only return to Canada in a private vehicle with your COPR. You would not be permitted to board a commercial flight as a PR. Your ETA will be administratively cancelled as you are no longer eligible for it.

Other commercial travel, so far as it exists, such as buses and trains, are also not available to you.

rosas

Mar 29, 2021
Oh, okay. So basically I should consider my ETA as cancelled and there is not really anything I can do right now except to wait for the PR card?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Oh, okay. So basically I should consider my ETA as cancelled and there is not really anything I can do right now except to wait for the PR card?
As said above, you can still travel to the US but would need to re-enter Canada through a land border if you don't have a PR card / PR travel document. You can't fly back.

You can also apply for a PR Travel Document from the US if you are there long enough to get one. That would allow you to fly back.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You can leave the country and re-enter by the land border on foot or in a private vehicle. Your ETA is cancelled as you are now a PR.

If you need to fly back to Canada, you need a PR card.

rosas

Mar 29, 2021
Alright, thank you so much for your quick replies. I do not really have the option to drive or cross border by foot, since it would be a stay of around 10 days in Louisiana, which is quite far from Canada.

HimanshPawar

Apr 17, 2021
Hi all,
I received CoPR during April 2021 but as Flights were banned from India. I was not able to travel till date.
I am currently in India and planning to travel to Canada next month.

Do I need IM-1 visa for travelling to Canada or Can I travel using worker category Visa(currently holding).
thanks in advance.

Is it enough to carry Passport and CoPR for travelling to Canada??? or shall I use my existing Worker category Visa to land in Canada?
Could you please suggest how to proceed in this case?