+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada

Vercetti

Star Member
Oct 21, 2010
Okay so, my PR application is in the works and I am living in Canada with my wife on my visitor visa while my PR application is being processed.

My father-in-law wants to take us all and his girlfriend on a trip to the Dominican Repuplic in May. My visitor visa is good for 6 months(it's up in August).

My question is this:

If I leave Canada to go on the trip to the Dominican for a week then fly right back in to Canada, will I have any issues to deal with? Will they have to re-stamp my passport? Should I just bring the same documents I presented to Canadian Immigration (the ones I showed them to get my 6month visitor visa)?

Let me know if any of you have any experience with this kind of situation, or if there are any problems you may think I will run in to.

Thanks!

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You shouldn't have a problem as long as you have multiple entry visa for Canada

Vercetti

Star Member
Oct 21, 2010
I just got a stamp and the immigration officer wrote the expiry date below the stamp.

I'm guessing this doesn't allow multiple entry?

Can't I just leave and get a new stamp when re-entering? Or how can I go about getting a multiple entry stamp?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Vercetti -

Where are you from? Did you require an actual visa to enter the country? Or are you vise exempt?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are visa exempt.

Typically you can stay in for Canada up to six months.
Entry is decided by the IO. They can also limit the time you are allowed to stay if they wish.

Vercetti

Star Member
Oct 21, 2010
Right, I knew that. However, my question is will I have an issue if I go on a vacation to the Dominican leaving from Canada, then return directly to Canada(I would be coming back before my 6months is up).

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you leave Canada, the six months will be irrelevant. If immigration grant you entry, they can allow six more months.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Vercetti said:
Should I just bring the same documents I presented to Canadian Immigration (the ones I showed them to get my 6month visitor visa)?
Do you mean the stamp in your passport?

Most Americans don't get a stamp in their passport.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Vercetti said:
So, in your opinion, will I have any problems?
Every case is different, the IO will decide, they can refuse entry if they wish.

I am also visa exempt, but I am risk averse;
So given your circumstances I would not make the trip, because I would want to be with my wife until the PR was approved.
Leaving the country adds risk, and for me the holiday is not worth it. Short term gain with risk, lets face it, you could go on holiday after getting PR and have a guarantee of being allowed back into Canada.
Of course many others would choose to travel.