+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada with unpaid Credit Card debts and Loan

Oryx

Dec 10, 2017
I think your questions were already answered by other members - my advice would be to re-pay the loan once she starts working, not because of the Canadian or Middle east laws, but because that's the right thing to do as simple as that.

If she allows herself to do it once, she'll likely do it again and again, cause its "easy money" (and she'll always find a good reason to justify that to her inner-self)...i don't think that type of lifestyle will get anyone far to be honest.
You’re right! This is definiely the best thing to do. I also believe in Karma in everything that we do, it may be good or bad.

I am sure that anybody can relate to this relevant topic here and learn something.

Thank you!

JigJig

Feb 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb-14-2010
AOR Received.
16-03-10
Med's Done....
16-10-2010
Passport Req..
07-12-2010
VISA ISSUED...
20-07-2011
LANDED..........
21-08-2011
I think your questions were already answered by other members - my advice would be to re-pay the loan once she starts working, not because of the Canadian or Middle east laws, but because that's the right thing to do as simple as that.

If she allows herself to do it once, she'll likely do it again and again, cause its "easy money" (and she'll always find a good reason to justify that to her inner-self)...i don't think that type of lifestyle will get anyone far to be honest.
definitely.

Dave full

May 11, 2018
Hey guys,

I would highly appreciate your inputs, any thoughts, or advices regarding the situation of my friend.

My friend came here to Canada last year as a PR. She is planning to leave Canada early next year for good because things didn’t work out for her. She doesn’t intend to come back in Canada ever. Her problem now is she’s not able to pay her 20K outstanding loan and credit card debts. She is financially exhausted because she had to pay a huge amount of hospital bills for her father recently back in the Philippines. Obviously, she cannot pay back.

Now my questions are as follows:
1. Will she get arrested at anytime in the Philippines for not paying these debts in Canada? Will this affect her employment or status in her own home country?
2. She is planning to go to the middle east to work next year or whenever there is an opportunity, again will she get arrested at anytime while she works there?

I am not the best adviser for my friend, nor Ihave the best piece of advice to tell her so I am hoping that you can share your insights and solicited advice. I just want the best for her.

Thank you very much!
Leaving debt behind in Canada is not a criminal offence, and will only effect credit in Canada,
They have the right to seize any assets if you leave any, in Ontario they have 2yrs to contact you,
If they are unable to contact you the debt is written off, I know a few people that on purpose sent huge
Amounts of money back home and getting in debt in Canada with the intention of leaving!

Dave full

May 11, 2018

Rubbish! Right thing to do!
There is a whole industry based on people defaulting on there loans! Most loans are insured,
No body personally loses out! Any losses are written against taxes, governments write of huge
Amounts of taxpayers money with out a second thought! I would say move on and don't worry about it,
Nobody's getting hurt!

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
There is a whole industry based on people defaulting on there loans! Most loans are insured,
No body personally loses out! Any losses are written against taxes, governments write of huge
Amounts of taxpayers money with out a second thought! I would say move on and don't worry about it,
Nobody's getting hurt!
Right thing to do = Morals, integrity

That simply means doing the wright thing even if no one is watching.

I know some people don't get what that means, which is why these things happen, and that's fine.

My advice remains here for those who get it ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: N_Shine and Jakev

Dave full

May 11, 2018
Right thing to do = Morals, integrity

That simply means doing the wright thing even if no one is watching.

I know some people don't get what that means, which is why these things happen, and that's fine.

My advice remains here for those who get it ;)
Good for you,
I'l remember that when I'm sat out side my villa in malta with $80,000 debt left in Canada
Havin a beer, wearing my $10,000 Rolex, life is so good!

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Good for you,
I'l remember that when I'm sat out side my villa in malta with $80,000 debt left in Canada
Havin a beer, wearing my $10,000 Rolex, life is so good!
I don't drink alcohol, i don't need a watch and not interested in going to Malta or owning a property there with money that isn't mine :cool:. Living as a fraudster is something that would keep me awake all night, i'd rather sleep in peace.

Material things go and come in life, what remains are your values and beliefs.

Anyway, to be honest i don't really care what you do it doesn't impact me personally in anyway.

Last edited:

Jakev

Champion Member
Sep 22, 2017
NOC Code......
0114 and 0125
AOR Received.
14-11-2017
I don't drink alcohol, i don't need a watch and not interested in going to Malta or owning a property there with money that isn't mine :cool:. Living as a fraudster is something that would keep me awake all night, i'd rather sleep in peace.

Material things go and come in life, what remains are your values and beliefs.

Anyway, to be honest i don't really care what you do it doesn't impact me personally in anyway.
Well-articulated. It’s because of people like above, such economies are in disarray.

Reactions: N_Shine and emamabd

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Here is what could happen to you if you skip out on your credit card debt in Canada: They will turn you over to a collection agency. Eventually, they might get tired of trying to find you and sue you in Canadian court. Because they can't find you, they get a default judgement against you, the interest skyrockets, before long that 20K doubles to 40K. They issue a summons for you to appear and confess your assets. But because you can't be found, the process server decides to just lie and falsely certifies that you were personally served with the summons to appear. You fail to appear and the court issues a warrant for your arrest. The next time you try to enter Canada, you are arrested at customs. Of course, none of that could happen and the statute of limitations could pass with no judgment being issued if they decide you aren't worth the trouble.

As to whether a Canadian judgement can cause you to be arrested in another country. That's up to the other country. It is possible for a judgment creditor to "domesticate" a judgment against you in another country, if they find you and that country has a functional judicial system.

Reactions: Yellowcat

qureishi

Dec 9, 2011
Nobody's getting hurt!
Just think if its your money ? What you will feel ?

Pixiegirl

Star Member
Mar 26, 2018
Nobody's getting hurt!
It's still sort of theft and it's not right. If people are stealing like that "friend" and it doesn't matter if it was intentional or not, then other people are affected (by taxes, higher interest rates etc.) and in theory pay all that debt off for her. Saying that "no body loses out" is very wrong.

Reactions: Yellowcat and Jakev

Pixiegirl

Star Member
Mar 26, 2018
If the friend is ever asked for police clearance from countries she ever lived, there might be an issue. Not straight away, as it will take some time for the banks to realise she is not paying debt off / out of the country.

DavEd

Star Member
Mar 15, 2018
Here is what could happen to you if you skip out on your credit card debt in Canada: They will turn you over to a collection agency. Eventually, they might get tired of trying to find you and sue you in Canadian court. Because they can't find you, they get a default judgement against you, the interest skyrockets, before long that 20K doubles to 40K. They issue a summons for you to appear and confess your assets. But because you can't be found, the process server decides to just lie and falsely certifies that you were personally served with the summons to appear. You fail to appear and the court issues a warrant for your arrest. The next time you try to enter Canada, you are arrested at customs. Of course, none of that could happen and the statute of limitations could pass with no judgment being issued if they decide you aren't worth the trouble.

As to whether a Canadian judgement can cause you to be arrested in another country. That's up to the other country. It is possible for a judgment creditor to "domesticate" a judgment against you in another country, if they find you and that country has a functional judicial system.
What you have said here is an over exergeration of fact... failure to pay a credit card or loan will probably not get that far...

A collection agency will likely get sold the debt and will try to collect...if that fails the end result will be the debt being written off as a bad and the insurance pays off because all debt is insured...

The effect of this is it will go on your credit report and that’s about the end of it....

Not paying debt is not a criminal offence in Canada....period....

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
What you have said here is an over exergeration of fact... failure to pay a credit card or loan will probably not get that far...

A collection agency will likely get sold the debt and will try to collect...if that fails the end result will be the debt being written off as a bad and the insurance pays off because all debt is insured...

The effect of this is it will go on your credit report and that’s about the end of it....

Not paying debt is not a criminal offence in Canada....period....
No, it usually doesn't go that way. but its not like it couldn't happen. Not paying your debt might not be a criminal offense, but thumbing your nose at the court system could be. You are right that there are many steps that have to be taken before it gets to this point and it usually isn't worth it to a creditor to go that far, but that is cold comfort if you are one of the unlucky ones. If you have unpaid debts in the USA, then this scenario is probably more likely.