+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada with unpaid Credit Card debts and Loan

Oryx

Dec 10, 2017
Hey guys,

I would highly appreciate your inputs, any thoughts, or advices regarding the situation of my friend.

My friend came here to Canada last year as a PR. She is planning to leave Canada early next year for good because things didn’t work out for her. She doesn’t intend to come back in Canada ever. Her problem now is she’s not able to pay her 20K outstanding loan and credit card debts. She is financially exhausted because she had to pay a huge amount of hospital bills for her father recently back in the Philippines. Obviously, she cannot pay back.

Now my questions are as follows:
1. Will she get arrested at anytime in the Philippines for not paying these debts in Canada? Will this affect her employment or status in her own home country?
2. She is planning to go to the middle east to work next year or whenever there is an opportunity, again will she get arrested at anytime while she works there?

I am not the best adviser for my friend, nor Ihave the best piece of advice to tell her so I am hoping that you can share your insights and solicited advice. I just want the best for her.

Thank you very much!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since she will not come back to Canada and cannot repay the debts, there's nothing for you to worry about (unless you want to make payment on her behalf).

Reactions: Dave full

keano16

Dec 10, 2017
Hey guys,

I would highly appreciate your inputs, any thoughts, or advices regarding the situation of my friend.

My friend came here to Canada last year as a PR. She is planning to leave Canada early next year for good because things didn’t work out for her. She doesn’t intend to come back in Canada ever. Her problem now is she’s not able to pay her 20K outstanding loan and credit card debts. She is financially exhausted because she had to pay a huge amount of hospital bills for her father recently back in the Philippines. Obviously, she cannot pay back.

1. Will she get arrested at anytime in the Philippines for not paying these debts in Canada? Will this affect her employment or status in her own home country?
2. She is planning to go to the middle east to work next year or whenever there is an opportunity, again will she get arrested at anytime while she works there?

I am not the best adviser for my friend, nor Ihave the best piece of advice to tell her so I am hoping that you can share your insights and solicited advice. I just want the best for her.

Thank you very much!
I am not really sure, but I have a friend who didn't repay anything and returned from the US like 10 years back. Nothing negative till now

Reactions: Dave full

Oryx

Dec 10, 2017
Since she will not come back to Canada and cannot repay the debts, there's nothing for you to worry about (unless you want to make payment on her behalf).
I wish that I can lend her money though but I need to pay my bills too. I wish that I can pay her debts but that’s impossible. I’m just concerned and worried for my friend — for her next move. I hope nothing will happen to her after she leaves Canada.

Managerchap

Star Member
Jul 17, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sofar she dosent plan to come to Canada again she should be fine. Banks generally insure your credit. But if in future she intends to move back she would have serious credit issues and would have to rely on cash only

Oryx

Dec 10, 2017
I am not really sure, but I have a friend who didn't repay anything and returned from the US like 10 years back. Nothing negative till now
Oh. It’s good to know. I am hoping that nothing will happen to my friend too. I know people might think that she’s running away from her financial responsibility in Canada but obviously she’s not really able to pay it even if she’ll go back to her own home country. She’s the breadwinner in the family. Her situation is too complicated seriously.

Oryx

Dec 10, 2017
Sofar she dosent plan to come to Canada again she should be fine. Banks generally insure your credit. But if in future she intends to move back she would have serious credit issues and would have to rely on cash only
She doesn’t plan to come back in Canada. She decided to go home after her father had serious illness. She still plans though to work in the middle east or rich countries in Asia like Singapore. She’s very scared that her record in Canada will be reported to different countries and she’ll get arrested at anytime upon transit or something like that.

sistemc

Feb 2, 2014
I would advise her not to go to the Middle East country. If they caught her there they might chop her hand off.

Oryx

Dec 10, 2017
I would advise her not to go to the Middle East country. If they caught her there they might chop her hand off.
Oh my God. That’s scary! To begin with, the place itself is daunting if you fuck up as an expat. So is there a big chance that her financial records in Canada will haunt her in the middle east like UAE or Qatar? She used to work there few years ago by the way before she came to Canada.

Last edited:

keano16

Dec 10, 2017
Oh. It’s good to know. I am hoping that nothing will happen to my friend too. I know people might think that she’s running away from her financial responsibility in Canada but obviously she’s not really able to pay it even if she’ll go back to her own home country. She’s the breadwinner in the family. Her situation is too complicated seriously.
I don't judge :)

khan200us

Star Member
Nov 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19 November 2014
Doc's Request.
08-02-2015
IELTS Request
Sent With Docs 8.0 band
Med's Request
11 May 2016
Med's Done....
3 June 2016
Interview........
Not Required
Passport Req..
17 June 2016
VISA ISSUED...
6 July 2016
LANDED..........
26 July 2016
Thank you! :)
The correct answer is "You will not be arrested anywhere including Canada if your friend returns".Being not able to repay debts is not a criminal offence. There will be no consequences in other countries. In Canada, they will not give you any credit in future. That is the worst that can happen to you............errr your friend I mean!

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Being not able to repay debts is not a criminal offence. There will be no consequences in other countries. In Canada, they will not give you any credit in future.
Hmm...i'd be surprised if there aren't any consequences at all...credit card companies are global i find it hard to believe that they work in isolation, do you think she would simply get approved for a new credit card in the middle east for example without them realizing she screwed up the visa/mastercard in canada?

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Hey guys,

Thank you very much!
I think your questions were already answered by other members - my advice would be to re-pay the loan once she starts working, not because of the Canadian or Middle east laws, but because that's the right thing to do as simple as that.

If she allows herself to do it once, she'll likely do it again and again, cause its "easy money" (and she'll always find a good reason to justify that to her inner-self)...i don't think that type of lifestyle will get anyone far to be honest.

Last edited:

Oryx

Dec 10, 2017
The correct answer is "You will not be arrested anywhere including Canada if your friend returns".Being not able to repay debts is not a criminal offence. There will be no consequences in other countries. In Canada, they will not give you any credit in future. That is the worst that can happen to you............errr your friend I mean!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.