+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada with unpaid Credit Card debts and Loan

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
Same issue i will leave canada soon and im not able to pay my bills are they going to haunt me
My advice is to declare bankruptcy. This will allow you to clear off the debt legally. You will have a bad mark on your credit history, but you will not have any legal issue if you ever decided to return to Canada.

miclar

Mar 18, 2020
Hi,

I live in USA for the last 5 years and I just got notified by my bank that they send my $10K debt to collection agency. Can I be sued in US? What if I cant pay? What are the consequences.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I live in USA for the last 5 years and I just got notified by my bank that they send my $10K debt to collection agency. Can I be sued in US? What if I cant pay? What are the consequences.
You should be booking an appointment with a non-profit credit counselling service. You shouldn’t have to pay. Make sure it is a non-profit or government program. They will help you discuss your options and negotiste a payment plan with your creditors.

Reactions: miclar

miclar

Mar 18, 2020
You should be booking an appointment with a non-profit credit counselling service. You shouldn’t have to pay. Make sure it is a non-profit or government program. They will help you discuss your options and negotiste a payment plan with your creditors.
What if I don’t pay? Can they sue me? I don’t live in Canada anymore and have NO WAY to pay for it!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No I am settled in US. My daughter has a medical condition
If you are living in the US you should be able to slowly pay off your debt plus you are likely easy to track down in Canada. Would get some credit counselling so you can get some advice and know the consequences.

miclar

Mar 18, 2020
If you are living in the US you should be able to slowly pay off your debt plus you are likely easy to track down in Canada. Would get some credit counselling so you can get some advice and know the consequences.
likely easy to track in Canada or US?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
What if I don’t pay? Can they sue me? I don’t live in Canada anymore and have NO WAY to pay for it!
There's a big difference between being unable to pay and not making arrangements to pay. Unless you're living under a freeway overpass, you just don't want to make arrangements to pay back the money that wasn't yours to begin with . It's called taking responsibility and being an adult . Creditors surprisingly find people who owe money , even if it's in another country . Years ago my brother got whacked by a car in Florida.Ended up with a $6000 bill. He thought by crossing the border it would some how miraculously disappear . It didn't . They tracked him down. As my mother said " It's your bill, adults pay their bills, now pay it "

Last edited: