+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada while Status Restoration is in Process - Help!

RanjithP

Feb 20, 2012
Hello,

I have an on-going Work Permit + Status Restoration application in process. It has been almost 4 months since I applied. I may have to leave the country now, which am really trying to avoid, but may end up having to thanks to my employer.

My LMO will be valid until mid October. So I can re-apply from back home (India) before it expires. But I am worried if leaving the country in the middle of the restoration cause any delays if I re-apply from abroad? Any possibility of refusal because of that? Everything has been legal so far but am kinda worried of taking any action as I already have a CEC application in progress - do not want to do anything that would jeopardize that!

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you submitted your work permit + restoration of worker status before the end of the grace period given to you, you have implied status to stay, but no legal worker status (can't work). You can stay until a decision has been made on your restoration application.

Got out-of-status in May 2011, got restoration of status in mid-Sept 2011. It is hard....being in country but can't work.

/i hope this helps...

RanjithP

Feb 20, 2012
ragluf said:
If you submitted your work permit + restoration of worker status before the end of the grace period given to you, you have implied status to stay, but no legal worker status (can't work). You can stay until a decision has been made on your restoration application.

Got out-of-status in May 2011, got restoration of status in mid-Sept 2011. It is hard....being in country but can't work.

/i hope this helps...
Thanks ragluf. Yes I submitted the WP + Restoration just in time before the 90 day grace period expired. So I can legally stay in the country. I stopped working early May 2012, hope to hear something from CIC in next 2-3 weeks at the latest.

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Whoa - looks like we have the same timeline, a year after. I got a reply on my application mid-September - they will just send your results via mail - it comes from CPC Vegreville. So just hang on there and check your mailbox one in a while. :)

In one of my calls to CIC during my application for restoration, I was told that the total processing time is WP current processing time + 8 weeks. I was told there are different departments handling WP applications and restoration, so restoration only will come after the WP application is processed. I used that to gauge how long until I got the results. Well - it was pretty accurate.

/cheers

RanjithP

Feb 20, 2012
ragluf said:
Whoa - looks like we have the same timeline, a year after. I got a reply on my application mid-September - they will just send your results via mail - it comes from CPC Vegreville. So just hang on there and check your mailbox one in a while. :)

In one of my calls to CIC during my application for restoration, I was told that the total processing time is WP current processing time + 8 weeks. I was told there are different departments handling WP applications and restoration, so restoration only will come after the WP application is processed. I used that to gauge how long until I got the results. Well - it was pretty accurate.

/cheers
One CIC agent said they recently increased it to Current Processing Time + 16 weeks... :(

But I saw at least two cases in this forum where applicants received their WP within the Current + 8 weeks timeline like you mentioned. I wonder why my application alone seems to take for ever...but then mysterious are the ways CIC works sometimes...

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RanjithP said:
One CIC agent said they recently increased it to Current Processing Time + 16 weeks... :(

But I saw at least two cases in this forum where applicants received their WP within the Current + 8 weeks timeline like you mentioned. I wonder why my application alone seems to take for ever...but then mysterious are the ways CIC works sometimes...
Just checked the current WP processing times - it is 54 days for online applications. But they are working on applications received June 30, so they must have processed your application already (assuming you submitted first week of May) - it is already + 4 weeks into the estimated restoration time (8 weeks).

If nothing happens within this month you may need to send in a formal query - have not seen yet the restoration duration listed in the cic website. I'll keep looking.

RanjithP

Feb 20, 2012
ragluf said:
Just checked the current WP processing times - it is 54 days for online applications. But they are working on applications received June 30, so they must have processed your application already (assuming you submitted first week of May) - it is already + 4 weeks into the estimated restoration time (8 weeks).

If nothing happens within this month you may need to send in a formal query - have not seen yet the restoration duration listed in the cic website. I'll keep looking.
Thanks ragluf! They do not show restoration processing time on the website, makes it even harder as there seems to be no real standard. They opened my application on June 14th and it is already 11 weeks since then!

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am assuming that when they opened your file on June 14 - that was the start of your work permit processing. I would count the current work permit processing time from June 14, then add in the estimated time for restoration (8 weeks - short, 16 weeks - :( ). It has been 11 weeks, with the current processing time set at 54 days, your WP + restoration application has been in CPC Vegreville for 7+4 weeks now. Still 4 weeks to go (assuming 8 weeks restoration).

Hang in there - you are correct, I too will be expecting something back 2-3 weeks from now...

RanjithP

Feb 20, 2012
ragluf said:
I am assuming that when they opened your file on June 14 - that was the start of your work permit processing. I would count the current work permit processing time from June 14, then add in the estimated time for restoration (8 weeks - short, 16 weeks - :( ). It has been 11 weeks, with the current processing time set at 54 days, your WP + restoration application has been in CPC Vegreville for 7+4 weeks now. Still 4 weeks to go (assuming 8 weeks restoration).

Hang in there - you are correct, I too will be expecting something back 2-3 weeks from now...
Thank you! You appear to be on the verge of PR...congratulations... :)

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RanjithP said:
Thank you! You appear to be on the verge of PR...congratulations... :)
Thank you. Trying not to keep this in mind as the journey it took for me to be in this position was 'an experience'.

Do note - you have implied status to stay in Canada until you get your results. It may not be ideal as you cannot legally work or be employed. But there will be additional things to consider if you leave the country (apply for an entry visa etc.).

Be hopeful and keep your spirits up. Hang in tight there.

Aug 13, 2012
ragluf said:

We have the same case, they received my application June 14 also and my processing time that time is 59 days. Why does it take so much time for my application where my application is only should be normal processing time of 59 days because I passed my application before my work permit expire. What should I do? Should I just wait or should I call the CIC for an update? rafluf and ranjithP

RanjithP

Feb 20, 2012
honeynelle_916201 said:
We have the same case, they received my application June 14 also and my processing time that time is 59 days. Why does it take so much time for my application where my application is only should be normal processing time of 59 days because I passed my application before my work permit expire. What should I do? Should I just wait or should I call the CIC for an update? rafluf and ranjithP
As per the dates in CIC website, they should have started processing your application by now. Do you have a valid LMO? If not, that may be leading to delays. Do call them and ask, no harm talking to the call center now and then.

By the way, since you have applied before expiry of your current work permit, you can continue working for the same employer under 'implied status'. However, if you need to work for a new employer or change any other work conditions not authorized as per current work permit, then you can start working only with the new work permit.

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
honeynelle_916201 said:
Well - one thing to consider is CIC counts working days instead of calendar days. So processing takes +1 week or more... :)

Aug 13, 2012
RanjithP said:
As per the dates in CIC website, they should have started processing your application by now. Do you have a valid LMO? If not, that may be leading to delays. Do call them and ask, no harm talking to the call center now and then.

By the way, since you have applied before expiry of your current work permit, you can continue working for the same employer under 'implied status'. However, if you need to work for a new employer or change any other work conditions not authorized as per current work permit, then you can start working only with the new work permit.
I have a valid LMO and my application is for new employer so I stop working until I get my LMO. I will call the CIC for an update and I will post If I get my work permit, hopefully this week or next week. Did you get your work permit? Thanks for the reply ranjithP

Aug 13, 2012
ragluf said:
Well - one thing to consider is CIC counts working days instead of calendar days. So processing takes +1 week or more... :)
But it said there that it is calendar days so Im assuming that Sat and Sun are counted. If its only working days so it means I have to wait more. But I will do call the CIC for an update and hopefully receive my work permit this week or next week.