+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada to the US a few days after oath (by land)

azntonios

Apr 8, 2018
Hi guys,

I have been invited for my ceremony on June 19 (YAY!). However, my family is visiting and we plan to go to seattle for a day. Trip has been booked and we plan to go to the US by land by renting a car.

Now, I am worried because they will take my PR card away. I have the french passport and will have dual citizenship but I think it will be quite difficult to get a passport in 3 business days (June 19 oath, trip on June 29-June 30).

It is quite confusing, see http://www.rcinet.ca/en/2016/08/18/change-passport-dual-citizens-air-travel/

As of September 30, 2016, Canadians with dual citizenship will have to show their Canadian passports before boarding an airplane to Canada. The rule does not apply to those arriving by land or sea or to Canadian-U.S. citizens with a valid U.S. passport.

So does that mean that if I go to the US and come back to Canada by land, if I have my valid french passport, I will be OK to get in?

I will also have my citizenship certificate in that case.

Thanks!

gopr

Mar 25, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2014
AOR Received.
15-04-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
16-10-2014
Med's Done....
17-10-2014
Passport Req..
25-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2014
LANDED..........
23-12-2014
Hi guys,

I have been invited for my ceremony on June 19 (YAY!). However, my family is visiting and we plan to go to seattle for a day. Trip has been booked and we plan to go to the US by land by renting a car.

Now, I am worried because they will take my PR card away. I have the french passport and will have dual citizenship but I think it will be quite difficult to get a passport in 3 business days (June 19 oath, trip on June 29-June 30).

It is quite confusing, see http://www.rcinet.ca/en/2016/08/18/change-passport-dual-citizens-air-travel/

As of September 30, 2016, Canadians with dual citizenship will have to show their Canadian passports before boarding an airplane to Canada. The rule does not apply to those arriving by land or sea or to Canadian-U.S. citizens with a valid U.S. passport.

So does that mean that if I go to the US and come back to Canada by land, if I have my valid french passport, I will be OK to get in?

Thanks!
You can go to the Passport Canada office in person and apply for Express Passport (or urgent 1-2 business days, express 3-5 business days). You can show them the trip plan proofs and request for the service. Express costs $50 extra and I think urgent is $110 or something, I did express for travelling less than 2 weeks out after oath.

If ecas shows your application as Complete with last line "you became canadian citizen on xxxx 19, 2018", then you dont have to wait 3 business days after oath to apply for a new passport.

Reactions: emamabd

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Hi guys,

Thanks!
They are much more flexible at the land crossings. If anything, they would comment on the fact that the certificate isn't a travel document, but will let you back in just fine. Especially a day trip.

Alibou

Nov 18, 2016
Hi guys,

Thanks!

That’s correct. I’m a Belgian citizen and the only exception where you can pass the border without your PR is by land on the US CA border if you’re the driver of the car. You can then show your driving license as a proof of your status.

Alibou

Nov 18, 2016
That’s correct. I’m a Belgian citizen and the only exception where you can pass the border without your PR is by land on the US CA border if you’re the driver of the car. You can then show your driving license as a proof of your status.

I once forgot my PR card home that’s why I did the same research, took a flight to NY, rented a car to drive through the border by land and it went all fine at the border, I just showed him my passeport and driving license. The agent didn’t ask for more.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
I can understand COPR or a Citizenship certificate would prove status in Canada, but how would a driver license prove status? I don't think the Canadian driver license mentions whether one is a PR/or citizen

Last edited:

Alibou

Nov 18, 2016
I can understand COPR or a Citizenship certificate would prove status in Canada, but how would a driver license prove status? I don't think the Canadian driver license mentions whether one is a PR/or citizen
It may sound strange to you but, you're traveling by land with your vehicle. The driving license is sufficient for the boarder agent to make the necessary checkups. However, if you take a public transit, you will need your PR card.

Permanent residents need a PR card or travel document to travel to Canada
Permanent residents (PR) of Canada need a valid PR card when:

• travelling to Canada by public transit (plane, train, bus or boat)
  • transiting through a Canadian airport