+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada temporarily

marta cocchi

Oct 31, 2013
My husband is Canadian and is sponsoring my PR in BC.
I got my PR in March 2017 and I have been in Canada the whole time except for 110 days.
We have a two year old daughter who was born in BC and has a canadian passport.

We are considering going to Italy for an extended period of time because my mom and dad live there and are quite old and I would like for them to spend some time with their granddaughter. We would like to stay up to one year but before I buy the ticket I would like to ask you:

Is my daughter allowed to stay out of the country and how long for? We will still be paying taxes and MSP in Canada but we would like for her to still have medical coverage and get the child benefit check.

Am I allowed to leave and how long for? I wouldn't want to lose my PR.

Thanks for your time and patience.

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
You have to stay in Canada for at least 730 days between March 2017 and March 2022. So do your own calculation.

Your daughter is a citizen. There's no restriction on her. She can go anywhere.

Reactions: Angalfaria

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
I got my PR in March 2017 and I have been in Canada the whole time except for 110 days.

We are considering going to Italy for an extended period of time because my mom and dad live there and are quite old and I would like for them to spend some time with their granddaughter. We would like to stay up to one year but before I buy the ticket I would like to ask you:

Is my daughter allowed to stay out of the country and how long for? We will still be paying taxes and MSP in Canada but we would like for her to still have medical coverage and get the child benefit check.

If you maintain significant ties in Canada and continue to file Canadian income tax, then you are a factual resident for tax purpose. You continue eligible for CCB.

Your daughter can retain MSP coverage during her stay in Italy, however, the expenses covered are limited. In any case, you need to contact MSP to confirm.

Have you retained your Italian citizenship? If you have, don't your daughter also automatically has Italian citizenship? She would qualify for Italy government health care, wouldn't she?

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
You still need to report to CRA that you will not be present in Canada. Failure to do so may cause you problems.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It will be up to CRA to determine whether you will continue receiving child benefit. Will also depend on your ties to Canada. You will have to buy health coverage for your trip abroad. After being away for 1 year your whole family likely needs to reapply for MSP. As others have mentioned you need to call MSP and inform them of your travel plans. You will likely be asked to pause your MSP until you reapply when you return. You can't always get what you want. Living in Italy while collecting child benefit and retaining MSP is a lot to ask.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
OP may be able to retain coverage for their stay in Italy, see the following brochure: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/health/health-drug-coverage/medical-services-plan/leavingbc_brochure_web.pdf
We have very little information on their plans and current situation so they should call MSP and CRA. Given the small amount of coverage they may receive abroad it might actually make more sense not to pay for MSP for a year. They will need private coverage because coverage is pretty minimal outside Canada unless they qualify for Italian coverage.

Angalfaria

Apr 24, 2019
You have to stay in Canada for at least 730 days between March 2017 and March 2022. So do your own calculation.

Yes, I agree with you. It is really a perfect suggestion for all who have the same question.
Thanks

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa

Traveling With a Spouse or Partner or Parent Who is a Canadian Citizen

If a Permanent Resident accompanies a spouse or partner who is a Canadian citizen outside of Canada, then each day outside Canada is considered to be a day physically present in Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1466&top=10
https://www.canadavisa.com/canadian-immigration-residency-obligations.html#gs.js0od6
https://www.ackahlaw.com/blog/how-to-maintain-permanent-residence-in-canada-while-living-overseas/

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
We have very little information on their plans and current situation so they should call MSP and CRA. Given the small amount of coverage they may receive abroad it might actually make more sense not to pay for MSP for a year. They will need private coverage because coverage is pretty minimal outside Canada unless they qualify for Italian coverage.
If I were them, I will buy private insurance and at the same time retain MSP. Stating 2020, MSP is going to be free and by retaining MSP coverage they do not have to wait three months to renew MSP benefits.

marta cocchi

Oct 31, 2013

FYI, the requirements of the PR are more complicated than that. I'm also required to live together with my sponsor for 2 years, so your quick reply may result incomplete. Also, I know my daughter can leave but as you can see from the other responses things are way more complicated than you lay them out to be.

marta cocchi

Oct 31, 2013
If you maintain significant ties in Canada and continue to file Canadian income tax, then you are a factual resident for tax purpose. You continue eligible for CCB.

Your daughter can retain MSP coverage during her stay in Italy, however, the expenses covered are limited. In any case, you need to contact MSP to confirm.

Have you retained your Italian citizenship? If you have, don't your daughter also automatically has Italian citizenship? She would qualify for Italy government health care, wouldn't she?

I have retained my Italian citizenship, this entitles my daughter to apply for italian citizenship. She would qualify for health care if I were resident in Italy and paying Italian taxes, which I'm not.

marta cocchi

Oct 31, 2013
Traveling With a Spouse or Partner or Parent Who is a Canadian Citizen

If a Permanent Resident accompanies a spouse or partner who is a Canadian citizen outside of Canada, then each day outside Canada is considered to be a day physically present in Canada.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1466&top=10
https://www.canadavisa.com/canadian-immigration-residency-obligations.html#gs.js0od6
https://www.ackahlaw.com/blog/how-to-maintain-permanent-residence-in-canada-while-living-overseas/
I think every day counts as half a day if accompanied by sponsor. And when I enquired about possibly applying for citizenship I was advised not to count on those days because they usually send applications back without even opening them. It's better to have enough days in the country before applying.