+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada temporarily

marta cocchi

Oct 31, 2013
If I were them, I will buy private insurance and at the same time retain MSP. Stating 2020, MSP is going to be free and by retaining MSP coverage they do not have to wait three months to renew MSP benefits.
If I suspend MSP is it going to take 3 months to restart it once I'm back? Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
FYI, the requirements of the PR are more complicated than that. I'm also required to live together with my sponsor for 2 years, so your quick reply may result incomplete. Also, I know my daughter can leave but as you can see from the other responses things are way more complicated than you lay them out to be.
You are not required to live with your sponsor for 2 years. This rule was eliminated by IRCC over two years ago.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/notices/elminating-conditional-pr.html

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I think every day counts as half a day if accompanied by sponsor. And when I enquired about possibly applying for citizenship I was advised not to count on those days because they usually send applications back without even opening them. It's better to have enough days in the country before applying.
Days spent outside of Canada with your Canadian spouse only count towards PR - not citizenship. For citizenship you need physical residency in Canada. For PR they count as full days - not half a day.

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
If I suspend MSP is it going to take 3 months to restart it once I'm back? Thanks.
If you cancel your MSP, you need to complete a wait period before your benefits can be renewed. Just inform MSP you will be absent temporary, MSP will provide coverage for up to 2 years.

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
FYI, the requirements of the PR are more complicated than that. I'm also required to live together with my sponsor for 2 years, so your quick reply may result incomplete. Also, I know my daughter can leave but as you can see from the other responses things are way more complicated than you lay them out to be.
The requirement to live with your sponsor has been eliminated long time ago.

marta cocchi

Oct 31, 2013
I would like to follow up for other people who may be interested in this type of situation.
- I called MSP and as long as we are factual residents of Canada we can be away for up to 24 months while still be on coverage in BC. We need to let them know the exact dates of our trip before leaving.
- I called CRA and after 1 hour and 30 minutes and talking to 3 different people they sent me this link:
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/information-been-moved/determining-your-residency-status.html?emaillink
Once I fill in the form and send it I will have to wait 16 weeks for a response.
Thanks everyone for your help.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I would like to follow up for other people who may be interested in this type of situation.
- I called MSP and as long as we are factual residents of Canada we can be away for up to 24 months while still be on coverage in BC. We need to let them know the exact dates of our trip before leaving.
- I called CRA and after 1 hour and 30 minutes and talking to 3 different people they sent me this link:
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/information-been-moved/determining-your-residency-status.html?emaillink
Once I fill in the form and send it I will have to wait 16 weeks for a response.
Thanks everyone for your help.
It is really up to CRA who will decide whether you are residents for tax purposes. That will influence MSP and CCB.