+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada temporarily for a contract during PGP 2018

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IRCC don't check if sponsor still lives in Canada while application is processing and before pr visa issued.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
IRCC don't check if sponsor still lives in Canada while application is processing and before pr visa issued.
They do check. They also quite often request proof that the sponsor has continued to meet LICO throughout the process, which will also show the sponsors isn't in Canada.

pgp20182nd

Star Member
Oct 29, 2018
They do check. They also quite often request proof that the sponsor has continued to meet LICO throughout the process, which will also show the sponsors isn't in Canada.
Thanks canuck78 and steaky for replying. Really appreciate that.

I am really confused and in a very difficult situation. This job is like once in a lifetime opportunity for me. I didn't have any intention of leaving Canada when I applied for PGP and still now I want to get back ASAP.
Need to figure out a solution of my problem for now.

On this page (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/sponsor-parents-grandparents/eligibility.html), it says

You can’t sponsor your parents and grandparents if:
  • you’re less than 18 years old
  • you won’t live in Canada when you apply to sponsor your parents and grandparents and/or when your parents and grandparents become permanent residents
    • Your primary residential address must be in Canada when you submit your application and until we make a decision on your application.
The above two statements does not agrees with each other. One implies until landing while the later one implies until a decision has been made (which is like VISA stamping on passport as I understand).

My parent are planning to land in march 2020 while I am leaving Canada in Jan 2020.
Also, I already met the LICO for 2019 will not leave my current job before Jan 2020..

Do you guys think my parents should land before I leave Canada or landing in March 2020 should be fine.
If they land before I leave, It will just cost them 3k/4k extra money as we all have to go back to home country for a wedding on February.

Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

I am really confused and in a very difficult situation. This job is like once in a lifetime opportunity for me. I didn't have any intention of leaving Canada when I applied for PGP and still now I want to get back ASAP.

On this page (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/sponsor-parents-grandparents/eligibility.html), it says

The above two statements does not agrees with each other. One implies until landing while the later one implies until a decision has been made (which is like VISA stamping on passport as I understand).

My parent are planning to land in march 2020 while I am leaving Canada in Jan 2020.
Also, I already met the LICO for 2019 will not leave my current job before Jan 2020..

Do you guys think my parents should land before I leave Canada or landing in March 2020 should be fine.
If they land before I leave, It will just cost them 3k/4k extra money as we all have to go back to home country for a wedding on February.

Thanks!
The rules are simple. You must live in Canada and continue meeting LICO with your Canadian income to sponsor your parents. The whole point of the program is to reunite family members. Have your parents been approved already? What if they don’t get approved until after December? The program would make no sense if children were away when your parents land. You are supposed to be in Canada to support your parents. Much harder for CIC to take away their PR once your parents have landed although it has happened. When some were found to have duplicate entries for the lotteries PR was withdrawn. Getting PR for your parents is a significant windfall as well.

Last edited:

pgp20182nd

Star Member
Oct 29, 2018
The rules are simple. You must live in Canada and continue meeting LICO with your Canadian income to sponsor your parents. The whole point of the program is to reunite family members. Have your parents been approved already? What if they don’t get approved until after December? The program would make no sense if children were away when your parents land. You are supposed to be in Canada to support your parents. Much harder for CIC to take away your PR once your parents have landed although it has happened. When some were found to have duplicate entries for the lotteries PR was withdrawn. Getting PR for your parents is a significant windfall as well.
They will get their VISA within December for sure (or thats what I am rooting for). I know what PGP sponsorship is intended for, just trying to know the exact ruling around my situation so that I can do everything accordingly and properly.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Thanks!
If you leave before they land, you no longer qualify as a sponsor.

rananiche

Feb 13, 2014
Hi PGP20182nd?

What was your decision at the end?

I am in a similar but not quite the same situation.

We are going to apply in 2020 to sponsor my mother and sister, however, my husband that works as a compositor has the opportunity to go to Japan for a year starting mid-2020 and I would love to come with him, Olympics? right?

We would be coming back in 2021 before any decision has been made about the sponsorship, but I am afraid CIC will cancel or reject our application.

Any comments?

pgp20182nd

Star Member
Oct 29, 2018
Hi PGP20182nd?

What was your decision at the end?

I am in a similar but not quite the same situation.

We are going to apply in 2020 to sponsor my mother and sister, however, my husband that works as a compositor has the opportunity to go to Japan for a year starting mid-2020 and I would love to come with him, Olympics? right?

We would be coming back in 2021 before any decision has been made about the sponsorship, but I am afraid CIC will cancel or reject our application.

Any comments?
I am still not sure what I will do. There is still time :)

About your situation, Its always best to stay in Canada during the application process.
I wouldn't miss the Olympics if i had a chance! At least, make sure you maintain LICO in Canada throughout the process, if possible. You situation is different than mine as you are moving for a less than a year and then coming back. Have a co signer for the sponsorship, that might help down the road.

pgp20182nd

Star Member
Oct 29, 2018
To make it clear for those who are in the same boat as me, after reading the IRCC, “OP 2 – Processing Members of the Family Class” and "Report of the Standing Committee on Citizenship and Immigration March 2017", a report published by House of Commons Canada, my understanding is after a decision has been made and VISA is stamped the sponsor is no longer obligated to stay in Canada. Please correct me with reference if this is wrong.

The sponsor must reside in Canada and be at least 18 years of age at the time of application. (IRPR, section. 130.) Canadian citizens living abroad may qualify to sponsor if they can prove that they will live in Canada when the sponsored family member becomes a permanent resident. (IRPR, section.130(2).)
- quoted from the House of Commons report.

But at any stage during the application a officer might inquire whether the sponsor still meets the sponsorship criteria.

Disclaimer: This is not a legal advice.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
The sponsor must reside in Canada and be at least 18 years of age at the time of application. (IRPR, section. 130.) Canadian citizens living abroad may qualify to sponsor if they can prove that they will live in Canada when the sponsored family member becomes a permanent resident. (IRPR, section.130(2).)

This says you can live abroad DURING the process but MUST PROVE YOU WILL LIVE IN CANADA when they become PERMANENT RESIDENTS. They do not become PR until they LAND. A visa/COPR does not grant PR status. BUT, I believe what you have quoted is for spousal sponsorship not PGP.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

This says you can live abroad DURING the process but MUST PROVE YOU WILL LIVE IN CANADA when they become PERMANENT RESIDENTS. They do not become PR until they LAND. A visa/COPR does not grant PR status. BUT, I believe what you have quoted may be for spousal sponsorship.
The section referring to citizens abroad is only for those sponsoring spouses/common-law partners and dependent children. It does not apply to PGP. PGP sponsors cannot sponsor from outside of Canada.

Reactions: jddd