+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada temporarily for a contract during PGP 2018

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
The section referring to citizens abroad is only for those sponsoring spouses/common-law partners and dependent children. It does not apply to PGP. PGP sponsors cannot sponsor from outside of Canada.
Yes, exactly what I thought. I have not read this House of Commons thing so did not want to give a final word.

OP, I think you are trying to find references that will allow you to do what you actually want even if they do not apply to PGP. I think the experts here have given the correct information. If still in doubt, I recommend a lawyer. This forum is hosted by one.

Farahnaz11

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2019
App. Filed.......
March 08 2019
AOR Received.
April 10 2019
Med's Request
May 1 2019
Med's Done....
May 6 2019
The section referring to citizens abroad is only for those sponsoring spouses/common-law partners and dependent children. It does not apply to PGP. PGP sponsors cannot sponsor from outside of Canada.
Review of eligibilityHelp - Review of eligibility
  • We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.
Review of medical resultsHelp - Review of medical results
  • May 13, 2019 You passed the medical exam.
Review of additional documentsHelp - Review of additional documents
  • We do not need additional documents.
InterviewHelp - Interview
  • You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes.
BiometricsHelp - Biometrics
  • June 10, 2019 Completed.
Background checkHelp - Background check
  • We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.
Final decisionHelp - Final decision
  • Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

• just a request if u could help out ...
  • My file was received in March 11/2019
  • And still in Sydney
  • Security in process

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Review of eligibilityHelp - Review of eligibility
  • We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.
Review of medical resultsHelp - Review of medical results
  • May 13, 2019 You passed the medical exam.
Review of additional documentsHelp - Review of additional documents
  • We do not need additional documents.
InterviewHelp - Interview
  • You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes.
BiometricsHelp - Biometrics
  • June 10, 2019 Completed.
Background checkHelp - Background check
  • We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.
Final decisionHelp - Final decision
  • Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

• just a request if u could help out ...
  • My file was received in March 11/2019
  • And still in Sydney
  • Security in process

What is your question? Is this about PGP? Will you also be living abroad while sponsoring your parents? If not, please do not hijack other people’s threads.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They do check. They also quite often request proof that the sponsor has continued to meet LICO throughout the process, which will also show the sponsors isn't in Canada.
Did they check you? I wondered if they had cross examined with CBSA.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Did they check you? I wondered if they had cross examined with CBSA.
I have never sponsored parents.

There are multiple posts on the forum from sponsors who have received such requests near the end of the process. I don't believe that they check with CBSA but who knows.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have never sponsored parents.

There are multiple posts on the forum from sponsors who have received such requests near the end of the process. I don't believe that they check with CBSA but who knows.
Well, I cosponsored my in-laws in 2017. No request had been received near the end of the process. Perhaps they check with CBSA but again who knows!

pgp20182nd

Star Member
Oct 29, 2018
The sponsor must reside in Canada and be at least 18 years of age at the time of application. (IRPR, section. 130.) Canadian citizens living abroad may qualify to sponsor if they can prove that they will live in Canada when the sponsored family member becomes a permanent resident. (IRPR, section.130(2).)

This says you can live abroad DURING the process but MUST PROVE YOU WILL LIVE IN CANADA when they become PERMANENT RESIDENTS. They do not become PR until they LAND. A visa/COPR does not grant PR status. BUT, I believe what you have quoted is for spousal sponsorship not PGP.
As canuck_in_uk said you cannot sponsor PGP from outside Canada so that condition does not apply (that means the whole quoted line).

Yes, exactly what I thought. I have not read this House of Commons thing so did not want to give a final word.

OP, I think you are trying to find references that will allow you to do what you actually want even if they do not apply to PGP. I think the experts here have given the correct information. If still in doubt, I recommend a lawyer. This forum is hosted by one.
Not exactly. I have both options open, my parents can land early before I leave or they can land after I leave Canada. I was looking for correct answers on this special circumstance.
I am clear on this at this moment as I mentioned earlier with references. Again, if in doubt, read the two documents I mentioned.

Researched quite a bit on this and went through a lot of things that is available online. Just posted my findings here to help people who might be in the same situation as me, so that they don't have to spend 2-3 weeks looking for answers.

Last edited:

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
As canuck_in_uk said you cannot sponsor PGP from outside Canada so that condition does not apply (that means the whole quoted line).

Not exactly. I have both option open, my parents can land my parents early before I leave or then can land after I leave Canada. I was looking for correct answers on this special circumstance.
I am clear on this at this moment as I mentioned earlier with references. Again, if in doubt, read the two documents I mentioned.

Researched quite a bit on this and went through a lot of things that is available online. Just posted my findings here to help people who might be in the same situation as me, so that they don't have to spend 2-3 weeks looking for answers.
Pretty sure I also said that what you quoted is for spousal sponsorship so really not sure why you are reiterating what canuck said which I had already agreed to.

pgp20182nd

Star Member
Oct 29, 2018
The sponsor must reside in Canada and be at least 18 years of age at the time of application. (IRPR, section. 130.) Canadian citizens living abroad may qualify to sponsor if they can prove that they will live in Canada when the sponsored family member becomes a permanent resident. (IRPR, section.130(2).)
I was referring to your quoted text which applies to spousal sponsorship only.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
I was referring to your quoted text which applies to spousal sponsorship only.
Yup. That is exactly what I said. If you read through my whole message I said it is for spousal sponsorship. See below, what I said at the end which you quoted:

This says you can live abroad DURING the process but MUST PROVE YOU WILL LIVE IN CANADA when they become PERMANENT RESIDENTS.They do not become PR until they LAND. A visa/COPR does not grant PR status. BUT, I believe what you have quoted is for spousal sponsorship not PGP.

Reactions: pgp20182nd