Sep 16, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone,

I need some advice. My spouse received her visa *yey* however she will need to return back to our country because she needs to finish off her university studies (one exam away from graduating in December) which is rather important for her career when she comes to Canada.

Now, she has to come to Canada this month, however she will need to return in a week after she arrives, what does she need to do when she arrives to Canada to ensure she will be able to return again in December? I know this is risky, but her education and receiving a degree is important.

Thanks in advance

Pharoh

Oct 5, 2010
41° 59' N, 87° 54' W
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/11/10
Doc's Request.
WAIVED
AOR Received.
28/01/11
Med's Request
Med's Received
Med's Done....
02/10/10
Interview........
WAIVED
Wait, so she's received her visa after receiving permanent residency? I thought you can come and go to and from Canada freely after that point, similar to a citizen? Am I mistaken?

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Berti said:
Hello everyone,

I need some advice. My spouse received her visa *yey* however she will need to return back to our country because she needs to finish off her university studies (one exam away from graduating in December) which is rather important for her career when she comes to Canada.

Now, she has to come to Canada this month, however she will need to return in a week after she arrives, what does she need to do when she arrives to Canada to ensure she will be able to return again in December? I know this is risky, but her education and receiving a degree is important.

Thanks in advance
She needs to provide a Canadian address to CBSA when she "lands". They will send her PR card to this address. If the PR card arrives before she returns to Canada in December, you need to courier it to her so she can have it when she returns to Canada. If it hasn't arrived, she must apply for a travel document to the Canadian embassy in her country.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If she has landed as a PR, it is not at all risky to leave again for a few months. As she arrived in Canada, she gave an address. This is the address her PR card will be mailed to. Whoever is there to receive it can mail or fed-ex it to her where she is and she can use it to enter Canada the next time she comes.

If there is a problem with the PR card and she does not get it by the time she wants to return to Canada, if she is visa exempt to travel to Canada, she can enter on her landing papers. If she is not visa exempt, she can apply for a PR travel document at the Canadian embassy where she is.

Pharoh said:
Wait, so she's received her visa after receiving permanent residency? I thought you can come and go to and from Canada freely after that point, similar to a citizen? Am I mistaken?
Not quite like a citizen because PR's are still subject to residency requirements of living in Canada for 730 days in any rolling 5 year period but we are only talking about a few months here so that should not be an issue.

Berti

Star Member
Sep 16, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wow, thank you guys your posts were really insightful and helpful.

So just to clearify, we have a applied for a family class sponsorship, she was approved and has received her visa already, she will need to enter Canada this month. During the application process there was a form that we filled out for PR (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/imm0008egen.pdf) so will there be another form to fill out for PR Status/Card or is that it. Also with the PR Card in Hand is that as good as having a Canadian Passport, will she need a visa to re-enter Canada or travel to other countries, which don't require visas for Canadian Passports or not?

wes786

VIP Member
Sep 6, 2010
Berti said:
Wow, thank you guys your posts were really insightful and helpful.

So just to clearify, we have a applied for a family class sponsorship, she was approved and has received her visa already, she will need to enter Canada this month. During the application process there was a form that we filled out for PR (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/imm0008egen.pdf) so will there be another form to fill out for PR Status/Card or is that it. Also with the PR Card in Hand is that as good as having a Canadian Passport, will she need a visa to re-enter Canada or travel to other countries, which don't require visas for Canadian Passports or not?
PR card is just a proof that she is a Permanent Resident of Canada (Visa free entry to CANADA ONLY), so YES she can enter Canada by showing her PR card but she cannot use that as a Canadian Passport. She will need a passport for traveling and she will also need VISA where applicable on her current passport when travelling.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi guys,

Question along similar lines...

My husband (US citizen with a US passport - and also a Nexus card holder) landed this past Tuesday. He's flying to the US for a week at the end of this month and obviously won't have his PR card yet when he returns to Canada. When he landed, immigration told him not to travel out of the country until he receives his PR card. However I think this is complete bunk. He can obviously travel. And since he's a US citizen - am I right in thinking that he doesn't need a travel document to return? Given he has a Nexus card, he probably won't even have to talk to a person when he goes through immigration.

I think the guy at immigration was just misinformed. However now my husband is worried. Am I mistaken?

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
Hi guys,

Question along similar lines...

My husband (US citizen with a US passport - and also a Nexus card holder) landed this past Tuesday. He's flying to the US for a week at the end of this month and obviously won't have his PR card yet when he returns to Canada. When he landed, immigration told him not to travel out of the country until he receives his PR card. However I think this is complete bunk. He can obviously travel. And since he's a US citizen - am I right in thinking that he doesn't need a travel document to return? Given he has a Nexus card, he probably won't even have to talk to a person when he goes through immigration.

I think the guy at immigration was just misinformed. However now my husband is worried. Am I mistaken?
He will be fine. If he does speak to an IO at the border upon returning, just tell him to identify himself as a PR. The IO can see the voided visa in the passport and in their computer system.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.