+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada permanently/tax question

fotkifolkslove

Dec 7, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi I have a question:

For instance:

Bob who is a PR is alone in Canada and wants to leave Canada permanently to go to his home country Indonesia where he was offered excellent job. Bob leaves Canada and goes to Indonesia. Bob does not have significant properties or house/land in Canada. The only thing Bob wants to keep in Canada is 2 credit cards from RBC and BMO and a personal checking/saving account($5000 in savings) in Scotiabank. My question is : Does Bob need to file income tax?

Thanks

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi I have a question:

For instance:

Bob who is a PR is alone in Canada and wants to leave Canada permanently to go to his home country Indonesia where he was offered excellent job. Bob leaves Canada and goes to Indonesia. Bob does not have significant properties or house/land in Canada. The only thing Bob wants to keep in Canada is 2 credit cards from RBC and BMO and a personal checking/saving account($5000 in savings) in Scotiabank. My question is : Does Bob need to file income tax?

Thanks
Bob should probably contact the CRA to get a ruling on this, as the savings account will be interest generating, albeit a tiny amount.
My guess is that filing a tax return is not required but it's only an educated guess.

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
Bob is required to file a departure tax return with CRA. He needs to pay all his Canadian tax obligations. After, that he would not need to file Canadian income tax again.