+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada for work after +2 years & PR renewal

ekoba

Jan 21, 2022
Hi everyone,

I got a job offer outside of Canada and I really consider taking it, but don't want to lose my PR status going forward.
I already live in Canada for more than 730 days since landing and receiving PR (but not enough yet to apply for citizenship).

My question is - if I leave Canada now for an extended period, will I be able to renew my PR once/before it expires while I'm outside of Canada? Or will I have to come back in order to renew it?
What is the procedure for that?

Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

I got a job offer outside of Canada and I really consider taking it, but don't want to lose my PR status going forward.
I already live in Canada for more than 730 days since landing and receiving PR (but not enough yet to apply for citizenship).

My question is - if I leave Canada now for an extended period, will I be able to renew my PR once/before it expires while I'm outside of Canada? Or will I have to come back in order to renew it?

Thank you
you have to return to Canada to apply to renew your PR card and there is a good chance you will be asked to come to Canada to pick up your new PR card.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

To add to this: keep in mind that the RO becomes a rolling five year "looking back" requirement after you've been a PR for five years.

Or in more simple terms: for the simple mathematical 730-days-in-five, if you stay out of Canada for three years straight, you are not in compliance (or if you have been out of Canada 1095 days total of the most recent five years).

*[by the simple mathematical residence, I just mean leaving aside more complex scenarios like time abroad serving in military or government and other similar]

Orgcom

Feb 27, 2020
you have to return to Canada to apply to renew your PR card and there is a good chance you will be asked to come to Canada to pick up your new PR card.
I applied from the US, sent all the documents for PR renewal in the USPS envelop. They processed my application, I received AOR. The card was approved and sent to the local office for pickup in Aug 2021 (found out from GCMS notes). Never received an invitation. Became a citizen in Nov 2021.

Reactions: NRY

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I applied from the US, sent all the documents for PR renewal in the USPS envelop. They processed my application, I received AOR. The card was approved and sent to the local office for pickup in Aug 2021 (found out from GCMS notes). Never received an invitation. Became a citizen in Nov 2021.
Assume you got lucky due to covid. Normally you would have had problems because you sent the renewal while out of Canada and would hqve been required to pick up in person.

Orgcom

Feb 27, 2020
Assume you got lucky due to covid. Normally you would have had problems because you sent the renewal while out of Canada and would hqve been required to pick up in person.
Yes, I also think that they processed my application due to covid. I applied in March 2021, the border with the US was still closed at that time…

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, I also think that they processed my application due to covid. I applied in March 2021, the border with the US was still closed at that time…
You applied during a very rare circumstance. If you applied now your application would have been returned and you would have been asked to pick up your PR card in person so people can’t count on what happened in your case.

ekoba

Jan 21, 2022
Thank you for your answers.
Following up on this -
Assuming I already did more than 2 years has a PR in Canada, and I will not leave for more than 3 years - Once I will need to renew my PR Card, can I come back for a short visit to file the application, and then leave again for abroad, and come back to pick up the card in person (assuming the old one won't expire in the meantime)? OR do I need to stay in Canada while my application is being processed and until I get the new card?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your answers.
Following up on this -
Assuming I already did more than 2 years has a PR in Canada, and I will not leave for more than 3 years - Once I will need to renew my PR Card, can I come back for a short visit to file the application, and then leave again for abroad, and come back to pick up the card in person (assuming the old one won't expire in the meantime)? OR do I need to stay in Canada while my application is being processed and until I get the new card?
no you can come to Canada just to send in your PR card renewal application and come back to pick up your new PR card if required.

NRY

Star Member
Dec 15, 2016
1) So, you received renewed PR card from the Canadian embassy in the US?
2) Which address you mentioned in the PR Card Renewal Application?
3) Your case also confirms that one can work in the US on a non-immigrant visa while Canadian Citizenship application is in process, is that right?

Thank you very much for sharing these details.

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hi everyone,

Thank you
no
you have to meet the RO
you have to stay 730 days in 5 year windows
good luck

Orgcom

Feb 27, 2020
1) So, you received renewed PR card from the Canadian embassy in the US?
No. I did not receive it because became a citizen before that.

2) Which address you mentioned in the PR Card Renewal Application?
I gave my friends' addresses in Canada. The application was signed in the US.

3) Your case also confirms that one can work in the US on a non-immigrant visa while Canadian Citizenship application is in process, is that right?
Yes. I always had the address of my friends on file, but I think (NOT sure) it's also fine if you let them know that you left the country but are ready to come back upon first request.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/left-canada-after-applying-for-citizenship-received-employment-insurance-before-applying-for-citizenship-entering-canada-with-an-expired-pr-card.750577/

Last edited: