Waived
Passport Req..
10-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-07-2013
LANDED..........
April 2014 (IA)
Hi,

I have read on CIC website that we need to contact the citizenship department if we are leaving Canada for more than two weeks in a row after applying for citizenship.

I applied for citizenship in October 2017 and currently, I am planning to travel out of Canada for around one month. Should I really inform them? What if I do not inform? Will it impact my processing time if I do not inform?

Thanks
AAJ

Reactions: Geminijj

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Hi,

I have read on CIC website that we need to contact the citizenship department if we are leaving Canada for more than two weeks in a row after applying for citizenship.

I applied for citizenship in October 2017 and currently, I am planning to travel out of Canada for around one month. Should I really inform them? What if I do not inform? Will it impact my processing time if I do not inform?

Thanks
AAJ
AFAIK, it's not mandatory to inform them. You should inform them if you feel that your test or oath date could coincide with your trip, resulting in you missing it. Also, make sure someone has access to and checks your mailbox regularly.

Given you applied in October, IMO, we won't be seeing any test invites till early next year. But they could send out a fingerprint request.

Last edited:

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
You're not obliged to inform them and are allowed to go abroad.
The only reason you may want to let CIC know is to ensure you don't receive a test/oath invite while abroad. In that case, they'll ensure your test/oath is scheduled after your trip :)
But if you're traveling soon, the test is kinda unlikely to take place before the month is over anyway.

That being said, the possibility to receive a fingerprint request by snail mail still exists, make sure someone can check your mailbox.

toska123

Jul 6, 2017
The way it is written on the CIC website, it seems to say you "must" inform them. Not, you "should" inform them. While I agree with what you folks are saying in principle, it would be good to get some hard evidence - in case the issue comes up later. Not being difficult btw. Just very very nervous, as I a sure many others are :'(

mickey_mouse

Oct 24, 2016
Toronto
Category........
App. Filed.......
18-05-2017
If I was you I would definitely call them and tell them just to make note of it as it is advised on IRCC website to inform them. They will also ask the reason for your travel. When you will go for interview they will check your passport and he/she will see this entry/exit stamp (travel outside Canada after you have made your application) and can ask about it. So its better to inform them before hand just to be on safe side..Good luck!

sansnom

Mar 10, 2017
I guess it is for the purpose to better schedule test/oath appointments. It shouldn't affect your eligibility of citizenship. The residency period will be checked again during test and before oath anyways. Even a single day out-of-country will be checked. So don't worry if you didn't inform them.
However, if you haven't made the trip yet, better to inform them before leaving. It can never be wrong to have them updated.

toska123

Jul 6, 2017
Hmm .. did this change recently? I checked it a few weeks ago, and it definitely said "must inform if more than two weeks..". You are correct that this page does not say that.

AAJ

Star Member
Aug 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-05-2010
AOR Received.
1st AOR 13-10-2010, Full Documents Sent 19-01-11, 2nd AOR 16-06-2011
IELTS Request
Done
Med's Request
15-03-2013
Med's Done....
06-04-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-07-2013
LANDED..........
April 2014 (IA)
Thank you all for your responses.

It is written at below link.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/after-apply-next-steps.html

It says:

"
Asking questions about your application
While we process your application, only contact us if you:

• change your address
  • are charged with a crime
  • plan to leave Canada for more than two weeks in a row
"

What I have understood is that the only reason we should inform them is to avoid any potential delays in giving response to them. So, if we manage to receive and respond to any mail or email communication from CIC, we do not need to inform them to avoid any unnecessary delays in our application.

I might be wrong, but have decided not to inform them. There will be someone, who will keep checking my mailbox...

mickey_mouse

Oct 24, 2016
Toronto
Category........
App. Filed.......
18-05-2017
Thank you all for your responses.

It is written at below link.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/after-apply-next-steps.html

It says:

"
Asking questions about your application
While we process your application, only contact us if you:

• change your address
  • are charged with a crime
  • plan to leave Canada for more than two weeks in a row
"

What I have understood is that the only reason we should inform them is to avoid any potential delays in giving response to them. So, if we manage to receive and respond to any mail or email communication from CIC, we do not need to inform them to avoid any unnecessary delays in our application.

I might be wrong, but have decided not to inform them. There will be someone, who will keep checking my mailbox...
well I tell you one thing , it was on IRCC website before to inform them if you are leaving Canada for more than 2 weeks after applying but after new rules came into effect in Oct 2017 , that information is not there any more..They have removed that info I guess

Looks like there is now no need to inform them..good luck

that information was under this link before

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=911&top=5

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
The way it is written on the CIC website, it seems to say you "must" inform them. Not, you "should" inform them. While I agree with what you folks are saying in principle, it would be good to get some hard evidence - in case the issue comes up later. Not being difficult btw. Just very very nervous, as I a sure many others are :'(
I had to leave Canada twice during my application process. Once for three weeks and the second time for six weeks.
I used the webform http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp to inform them well in advance of my absences. I included an explanation and a copy of my tickets. It took them six (!!!) weeks to acknowledge the receipt of my webform, but I got my test date exactly between my two trips and took my oath just one day after my return from my second trip.
I would definitely inform them, particularly if you do not want to have to come back for a test or fingerprint.
It worked for me very well.

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
I do not think it will be an issue. It certainly does not say anything in AOR or otherwise that I can find.

mreda13

Star Member
Nov 28, 2016
Hi,

Can someone let me know if there is a timeframe to provide Fingerprints if requested? My application is in process for since dec 7 and I am leaving Canada for 3 weeks and I am worried that if I get a FP request during my absence and there is a deadline to submit it, I'll miss it. I already informed IRCC about my vacation through the webform last week, but I am not sure if that will help delay any correspondence during my absence.

Any response will be appreciated.

Whocares

Sep 20, 2010
Hi,

Can someone let me know if there is a timeframe to provide Fingerprints if requested? My application is in process for since dec 7 and I am leaving Canada for 3 weeks and I am worried that if I get a FP request during my absence and there is a deadline to submit it, I'll miss it. I already informed IRCC about my vacation through the webform last week, but I am not sure if that will help delay any correspondence during my absence.

Any response will be appreciated.
Usually within a month or so following the IP. Just have a look at the spreadsheet over the months. Or sometimes FP IS REQUESTED after the interview.

mreda13

Star Member
Nov 28, 2016
Usually within a month or so following the IP. Just have a look at the spreadsheet over the months. Or sometimes FP IS REQUESTED after the interview.
Thanks for the reply. What I meant to ask is does one have to submit the fingerprints with X number of days from the notice? If yes and the date was missed, what are the consequences?