+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada and returning with no PR card?

youknowluke

Star Member
Jan 21, 2016
Calgary
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
05-09-2018
Med's Done....
11-11-2018
Hello

I have recieved my COPR but I have training in the United States in 7 weeks. I have a work permit valid until November 2019.

If I change my status to PR before I go on training will I lose my work permit? Then when i go on training if I don't have my PR card what would happen? Can I show them COPR letter copy or say I am awaiting my PR card arrival.

Help please I want to change to PR as soon as possible to not avoid getting the card but this training course has cost my company alot of money so I have to go.

Thanks in advance

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello

I have recieved my COPR but I have training in the United States in 7 weeks. I have a work permit valid until November 2019.

If I change my status to PR before I go on training will I lose my work permit? Then when i go on training if I don't have my PR card what would happen? Can I show them COPR letter copy or say I am awaiting my PR card arrival.

Help please I want to change to PR as soon as possible to not avoid getting the card but this training course has cost my company alot of money so I have to go.

Thanks in advance
Yes, you will lose your work permit.

Without either a PR card or a Permanent Resident Travel Document, or possibly a US passport, you will not be able to board, or even check in to a commercial flight. Your COPR will not get you onto the flight.

The only other option is to cross the land border with the USA in private transportation.

youknowluke

Star Member
Jan 21, 2016
Calgary
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
05-09-2018
Med's Done....
11-11-2018
Yes, you will lose your work permit.

Without either a PR card or a Permanent Resident Travel Document, or possibly a US passport, you will not be able to board, or even check in to a commercial flight. Your COPR will not get you onto the flight.

The only other option is to cross the land border with the USA in private transportation.
I may be doing so as no direct flights to our destination Detroit we will probably flying in to London Ontario and driving across the land border. So what is the difference?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I may be doing so as no direct flights to our destination Detroit we will probably flying in to London Ontario and driving across the land border. So what is the difference?
The COPR is neither a travel document or a status document. Only the PR card or PRTD serve those functions, which is why you can't use it to satisfy airline requirements.

youknowluke

Star Member
Jan 21, 2016
Calgary
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
05-09-2018
Med's Done....
11-11-2018
The COPR is neither a travel document or a status document. Only the PR card or PRTD serve those functions, which is why you can't use it to satisfy airline requirements.
So if my ETA is still valid I will be good and able to fly?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
So if my ETA is still valid I will be good and able to fly?
As a Canadian Permanent Resident, you are not eligible to apply for, or hold a visa, work/study permit or eTA.

youknowluke

Star Member
Jan 21, 2016
Calgary
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
05-09-2018
Med's Done....
11-11-2018
No ETA will no longer be valid.
Thats not true it says elsewhere in other forums the ETA remains valid for months after status change until CIC's system does a sweep and deactivates it. As I'm only flying 7 weeks I don't think they will have cancelled the ETA that fast I haven't even changed my status yet.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thats not true it says elsewhere in other forums the ETA remains valid for months after status change until CIC's system does a sweep and deactivates it. As I'm only flying 7 weeks I don't think they will have cancelled the ETA that fast I haven't even changed my status yet.
It's inconsistent. We see some eTAs continue to be valid for a while but this is the exception - most are canceled quite quickly - some seem to be canceled almost immediately.

My guess is that this has something to do with how easily they can match up the person on the COPR with the person on the eTA. So that's why some happen very quickly - and why a small % of the population take a couple of months. Just my guess.

At 7 weeks, there's a fairly high chance the eTA will no longer be valid. I would personally plan for the worst (i.e. no longer valid) - but obviously your choice.

EDIT: Just to be clear, eTA won't be canceled until you actually land and become a PR. Getting a COPR does not trigger cancellation. You have to actually use the COPR to land.

youknowluke

Star Member
Jan 21, 2016
Calgary
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
05-09-2018
Med's Done....
11-11-2018
It's inconsistent. We see some eTAs continue to be valid for a while but this is the exception - most are canceled quite quickly - some seem to be canceled almost immediately.

My guess is that this has something to do with how easily they can match up the person on the COPR with the person on the eTA. So that's why some happen very quickly - and why a small % of the population take a couple of months. Just my guess.

At 7 weeks, there's a fairly high chance the eTA will no longer be valid. I would personally plan for the worst (i.e. no longer valid) - but obviously your choice.

EDIT: Just to be clear, eTA won't be canceled until you actually land and become a PR. Getting a COPR does not trigger cancellation. You have to actually use the COPR to land.
It's ok I told my company and they booked flights into Windsor Ontario and we will drive across the border to Detroit. It was too much of a risky business like you describe gambling in the chance its not cancelled.

Although I would like to add anybody who got past the airline got in no problem to Canada once they landed, as CBSA can swipe your passport and confirm your PR status.

I'll take my COPR when we go for the land border crossing just to be safe.

It really sucks how long these cards take to come.