+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada after submitting citizinship application. please advice

Yolka

Mar 28, 2013
Aamir89 said:
I personally think there would be no issue as far as you have completed your 3 years you are good. After applying for citizenship you can go anywhere in the world. CIC is concern about your first 3 years so if you meet that deadline you are good.

If you planning to settle aboard or stay long-term (more then 6 months) then I guess you might face problem because when you have citizenship test you will also be having interview and in that interview you have to satisfy the cic person that after getting your passport you will stay in Canada. Once he satisfied then your file will go to the Judge and if also satisfied then you are good.

Regarding trip before applying for citizenship I have been out Canada twice (1st for 4 months and 2nd for 2 months).

I applied on April, 2013 and my oath is tomorrow Nov 25, 2013. It took me 8 months from the day I applied and Oath Day. I didn't get any RQ but yes my brother did who have travel only once and he have been in Canada before me.

So it depends on individual case the most important thing if you can satisfy cic officer you are good.

Thanks
Thanks Aamir89. Your timeline is impressive! Congratulations and Enjoy the Oath!. All the best.

Yolka

Mar 28, 2013
Guys, I do believe I might get RQ but at least I was always honest with CIC and obviously being honest and fulfilling my required days is not always a quarantine for faster processing.

I will let you know when I get RQ ;D I just regret I did not get it many months ago, considering my test is taking forever, I will have the slowest case when I get RQ at the test :-( I even gathered all the docs for RQ :) so I am almost prepared but mentally will be crashed.

Good luck to All!

Yolka

Mar 28, 2013
eileenf said:
While some have good luck and are processed quickly like Aamir, unfortunately this is not typical. Despite completing our 3+ years honestly, many tens of thousands of us who are not processed quickly, who get RQ, who have unreasonable delays and issues. Currently reported CIC citizenship timelines are the longest that they have ever been and the backlog is the largest as it has ever been.

As applicants we can only do our best, try to minimize risks as much as possible and hope for luck and fairness.
Of course we need to be honest. Of course we need to fulfill the requirements. As the record backlogs and record timelines attest though, honestly and fulfillment of requirements are not enough to guarantee a smooth road to citizenship.

It's good to remember that the vast majority of delayed applicants will deemed eligible for citizenship and approved. It's also good to remember that the speed of processing may be completely irrelevant to the quality of the application. Many people who experience speedy processing of their applications assume that they did something right and their applications were of undeniably high quality. The flipside of this assumption is the intimation that delays or difficulties in the citizenship process show that the applicant did something wrong or is less deserving of citizenship. I do not believe this is true.
Eileenf, may I ask why you got RQ? and how long since you submitted it? Thanks.

Aamir89

Star Member
May 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yolka said:
Thanks Aamir89. Your timeline is impressive! Congratulations and Enjoy the Oath!. All the best.
Thank you very much and good luck to everyone :)

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
life900 said:
3- Applicants who intend to remain in Canada for good. This category does not really care how long in takes to receive the citizenship.
Hey life900, I think this is a good summation, but speaking from personal experience I disagree that applicants remaining in Canada don't really care about processing times. Many of us believe that citizenship and voting rights are important in and of themselves. I want to be able to vote for my daughter's school board and the mayor of my city. I want to be able to carry the same passport as my child and husband. I want to be recognized as a citizen of the country I've lived for over 9 years and will continue to live in. I believe citizenship rights are important.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yolka said:
Eileenf, may I ask why you got RQ? and how long since you submitted it? Thanks.
Hi Yolka, I applied July 2011, received the RQ in November 2012 and submitted in early January 2013. RQ recipients are not told why they receive RQs, so I cannot tell you for sure, but I assume it has to do with the A5 trigger http://residencequestionnaire.wordpress.com/rq-risk-indicators/due to not working full time since my daughter was born a few years ago and yet still having the temerity to visit family (a few hours away by car in USA) for Christmas.

Yolka

Mar 28, 2013
eileenf said:
Hi Yolka, I applied July 2011, received the RQ in November 2012 and submitted in early January 2013. RQ recipients are not told why they receive RQs, so I cannot tell you for sure, but I assume it has to do with the A5 trigger http://residencequestionnaire.wordpress.com/rq-risk-indicators/due to not working full time since my daughter was born a few years ago and yet still having the temerity to visit family (a few hours away by car in USA) for Christmas.
You received RQ after 16 months, Wow! I guess you are waiting for test now? I know somebody who applied in 2011 and got RQ in 2012 too, still waiting for test. Good luck, hope you hear the good news very soon!

fibud

Star Member
Mar 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-01-2010
AOR Received.
07-04-2010
Med's Done....
18-12-09
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
03-06-10
VISA ISSUED...
14-06-10
LANDED..........
23-06-10
Ok. Whoa...it's been awhile since I have been on the forum...

My partner has lived in Canada since 1999 on student visas for highschool and university. I sponsored him for his PR in 2010 and once he had reached 1095 (and a bit) he applied for grant of citizenship in August 2012.

He spent September 2012-July 2013 in Shanghai as a student learning Mandarin. And in July 2013 I accepted a teaching contract in Hong Kong - so he met me in Hong Kong and we will be here until July 2014.

My parents agreed to keep their address for his citizenship correspondence, and today we found out he has been asked to write his test at Scarborough office January 13, 2014.

His brother, who is completing medical school at McGill, just became a Canadian citizen himself this summer and is still residing in Montreal. We hope that having spent 14 years in Canada, and having a brother as a citizen may help to avoid the RQ, but it looks like he has more red flags than most having been out of Canada for 1.6 years.

Would it be better for him to just get up and go ASAP for the Jan. 13th test, or would it do no harm at this point to ask for a second date? Does CIC take the situation into account when rescheduling - or do they just randomly select an alternate date and we would still only know 2 weeks ahead of time?

Any advice/guidance/experience that can be shared is more than appreciated!

Cheers!

Aamir89

Star Member
May 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
turboracer said:
Brother Aamir

thats great within 8 months you got oath

brother are you in toronto downtown ?

can you please share us your time line

did your file to go st clair office ?

and did you got any interview with the officer or judge ?

like if you could tell us all your experience about it brother if its ok with you
Hi Sorry for late reply I just saw your post

I live in Windsor Ontario so I think my local office would be Windsor Ontario.

My timeline is on my signature. Yes I had an interview with office once I passed the test.

Thanks