+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada after submitting citizenship application -Problems & Predicaments

Nomi2012

Sep 27, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1-What are the problems with leaving Canada without informing CIC or Local Office after filing one's grant of citizenship application.

2-What happens if you fail to inform cic about your departure from Canada? Can you citizenship application be refused?

3-Does CIC has some hidden stipulations regarding this matter? As a result or revenge cic procrastinate or delay your case

Plz. share your observations or experiences!!!

Montrosco

Star Member
Apr 27, 2014
you should find a similar case,,,,
I don't think that you application will be refused. most people in this forum are very keen about citizenship and I don't think that they have taken the risk to do that.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just that you won't be receiving letters from CIC if they are still sent to your former Canadian address. You might missed submitting RQ, taking the test and more.

Nomi2012

Sep 27, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
Just that you won't be receiving letters from CIC if they are still sent to your former Canadian address. You might missed submitting RQ, taking the test and more.
Thanks for your reply.

I will not be changing my address as my family (wife n kids), will still be residing on the same address. Only, I'd be leaving Canada and not my family. Any comments on the above mentioned question?

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
It should be easier then since there will be an address here in Canada. Once you get invited to the test, you should be able to explain to the immigration officer that your work outside of Canada is temporary and that your family is in Canada and you will be in Canada because of your ties to Canada.

Nomi2012

Sep 27, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dejaavu said:
It should be easier then since there will be an address here in Canada. Once you get invited to the test, you should be able to explain to the immigration officer that your work outside of Canada is temporary and that your family is in Canada and you will be in Canada because of your ties to Canada.
Thank you very much!!! But Do they still issue an RQ after the test or interview?

And, What about the following question of mine
2-What happens if you fail to inform cic about your departure from Canada? Can you citizenship application be refused?

Any thoughts

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your residency in question then a full or small version of RQ may be issued in any stage of the process. Not informing CIC is not violation of rule but it's good to let them know your possible return date to keep your position transparent.

toronto60

Mar 4, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomi2012 said:
1-What are the problems with leaving Canada without informing CIC or Local Office after filing one's grant of citizenship application.

3-Does CIC has some hidden stipulations regarding this matter? As a result or revenge cic procrastinate or delay your case

Plz. share your observations or experiences!!!
If there is anybody to pick up your mail it is no problem to leave a country
But if you will receive RQ they will ask you for evidences that you are living in the country for the hole period after submitting the citizenship application

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
You can do either way. If they ask you after the interview what you do now you just explain to them that you are outside of Canada temporarily (job contract for a year etc) and you will be coming back to Canada to join your family.
You need 1095 days to be eligible for citizenship in your application and be able to maintain your PR status by being in Canada 730 days within 5 year period as long as you are doing that and you have proof of that I do not see any issues.

I had a friend who left Canada after applying and he did send a letter to CIC stating he would be away on a job contract for a year or so but he has a mailing address in Canada. CIC called him and then he passed the test and after the test he explained to the CIC officer that he was away working but he is coming back to Canada as his job outside Canada was temporary. He got the citizenship oath in about 3 months after. There was no problem. Maximum they can delay your application by issuing RQ but if you maintain your PR status by living 2 years out of 5 I think you will be fine.

Nomi2012

Sep 27, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dejaavu said:
You can do either way. If they ask you after the interview what you do now you just explain to them that you are outside of Canada temporarily (job contract for a year etc) and you will be coming back to Canada to join your family.
You need 1095 days to be eligible for citizenship in your application and be able to maintain your PR status by being in Canada 730 days within 5 year period as long as you are doing that and you have proof of that I do not see any issues.

I had a friend who left Canada after applying and he did send a letter to CIC stating he would be away on a job contract for a year or so but he has a mailing address in Canada. CIC called him and then he passed the test and after the test he explained to the CIC officer that he was away working but he is coming back to Canada as his job outside Canada was temporary. He got the citizenship oath in about 3 months after. There was no problem. Maximum they can delay your application by issuing RQ but if you maintain your PR status by living 2 years out of 5 I think you will be fine.
So nice of you!!!
This post has cleared more than 80% of my doubts. I'm really thankful to you!
God bless you!

basharar

Nov 5, 2006
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just to clarify, if they issue a residency quasi are you do Not have to prove your prescience after applying the Rq is all about the period your claiming, that is it.

Nomi2012

Sep 27, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
basharar said:
Just to clarify, if they issue a residency quasi are you do Not have to prove your prescience after applying the Rq is all about the period your claiming, that is it.
That makes sense!!
Thank you