+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada After landing

DonDraper

Star Member
Apr 25, 2018
Hello,

I'm currently in Toronto from past two weeks and completed my PR landing process. I also got the SIN number done. Based up on my experiences in past two weeks, I have mixed responses from people who are already here as naturalized citizens and recently landed PR's regarding PR cards.

I have to travel next week due to my work contract commitments in US and then to India. I haven't got any physical PR cards yet, but the officer at the entry said I can apply for PRTD in case of travel outside of the country. However, my spouse will be in Toronto for 6-8 months and I will join her in 4 months. I was under the impression that my spouse will collect my PR card instead of me.

People I met gave me different information and none of it sounded concrete. They said its illegal to post PR cards outside of Canada and I will get an email to send Photographs again. The photographs should have the date stated as on or after the email was sent. This will be a proof that the person is currently residing in the country. Is this a true case? On the other Spectrum, people say its fairly common and PR cards can be sent out through FedEx or UPS. I'm totally confused on what is the right thing to do as its pretty common for people to travel out of country until PR cards arrive.

Can I get my photographs done now, so that later on my spouse ( residing in Canada) can post it with her photographs??

Please, let me know.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

I'm currently in Toronto from past two weeks and completed my PR landing process. I also got the SIN number done. Based up on my experiences in past two weeks, I have mixed responses from people who are already here as naturalized citizens and recently landed PR's regarding PR cards.

I have to travel next week due to my work contract commitments in US and then to India. I haven't got any physical PR cards yet, but the officer at the entry said I can apply for PRTD in case of travel outside of the country. However, my spouse will be in Toronto for 6-8 months and I will join her in 4 months. I was under the impression that my spouse will collect my PR card instead of me.

People I met gave me different information and none of it sounded concrete. They said its illegal to post PR cards outside of Canada and I will get an email to send Photographs again. The photographs should have the date stated as on or after the email was sent. This will be a proof that the person is currently residing in the country. Is this a true case? On the other Spectrum, people say its fairly common and PR cards can be sent out through FedEx or UPS. I'm totally confused on what is the right thing to do as its pretty common for people to travel out of country until PR cards arrive.

Can I get my photographs done now, so that later on my spouse ( residing in Canada) can post it with her photographs??

Please, let me know.
Hi

There is nothing illegal about mailing a PR card outside of Canada. Most people are not required to send new photos.

DonDraper

Star Member
Apr 25, 2018
Hi

There is nothing illegal about mailing a PR card outside of Canada. Most people are not required to send new photos.
Also, why are we asked to re-submit the pics? I'm under the impression that pictures submitted during COPR process are valid if the application is approved and these pictures will be considered for PR card. Please, let me know if i'm wrong here. Once the pics are submitted and approved by CIC, I don't see any legit point in asking people for re-submission of pictures, apart from proof checking if people are still residing in Canada and din't leave the country.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
One of the reasons for re-submission of pics is that pics for PR cards cannot be older than 6 months. So, if there is more than 6 months between COPR pics submission and landing than good chances that you will be asked to resubmit pics.

I suggest that you leave new pics with wife for just in case before leaving Canada.

DonDraper

Star Member
Apr 25, 2018
One of the reasons for re-submission of pics is that pics for PR cards cannot be older than 6 months. So, if there is more than 6 months between COPR pics submission and landing than good chances that you will be asked to resubmit pics.

I suggest that you leave new pics with wife for just in case before leaving Canada.
Thank you so much !! That was my original plan to leave pics (Taken in Toronto) with my wife before leaving. But I got sidetracked with comments from people around here, that CIC checks for dates on which pictures were taken and they should be on or after the Picture Re-submission email request.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Also, why are we asked to re-submit the pics? I'm under the impression that pictures submitted during COPR process are valid if the application is approved and these pictures will be considered for PR card. Please, let me know if i'm wrong here. Once the pics are submitted and approved by CIC, I don't see any legit point in asking people for re-submission of pictures, apart from proof checking if people are still residing in Canada and din't leave the country.
Again, most people aren't asked for new pics. Some people are if the pics end up being the wrong dimensions, too old, are lost in processing etc. Nothing to do with checking if people are in Canada.

JATIENZA

Aug 14, 2014
Thank You for replying! I'm the primary applicant, as my Spouse will be in Canada for 6 months, can she collect my PR card?
Hi DonDraper,
Did ICI requested new pics from your end? the only reason that they will request new pics , if the one you sent earlier is not clear or wrong dimension. I suggest you take a new pic first before you leave CAN to avoid inconvenience and let you spouse settle to re-submit to ICI. They will send you a letter indicated the procedure to re-submit. Once you spouse rcvd your PR card, she or he can mail to you the PR card via DHL or FedEx.

DonDraper

Star Member
Apr 25, 2018
Hi DonDraper,
Did ICI requested new pics from your end? the only reason that they will request new pics , if the one you sent earlier is not clear or wrong dimension. I suggest you take a new pic first before you leave CAN to avoid inconvenience and let you spouse settle to re-submit to ICI. They will send you a letter indicated the procedure to re-submit. Once you spouse rcvd your PR card, she or he can mail to you the PR card via DHL or FedEx.
No request has been mailed/emailed yet. Yes i already implemented your suggestions :)

DonDraper

Star Member
Apr 25, 2018
Can my Spouse call CIC to update our new PR card mailing address, as I'm out of country or it needs to be the primary applicant? Please let me know.