+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada after applying

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Not everyone gets a finger print request, but everyone I personally know who's gone through this seems to have had one. At anything from a few months to 15 months in. The 15 month person got a decision about 2 months later, and is still waiting on the oath for > month.

I don't know if you can find a company certified to do fingerprints from out of the country. You could also get a Residence Questionnaire and given the 183 day requirement I do wonder if you might also be asked for a new police cert if you are spending a long time out of the country.

The 2019 spreadsheet is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V2kMI1QtzlMj8k4shG0IBLnS8GqOhoJDkem5HloNe0I
If you search in the 2018 threads there will be links to that in there.

I was browsing one of those earlier and noted three recent email to oath dates, two were just over two weeks and one was exactly a month.

nanni_doc

Star Member
Jun 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
warsawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 December 2014
Doc's Request.
13 May 2015
IELTS Request
submitted with application
File Transfer...
dont know
Med's Request
14 May 2015
Med's Done....
15 May 2015
Interview........
Third Line Update - 28 May 2015, DM/FLU - 25 June 2015
Passport Req..
7th July 2015; passports submitted: 7July 2015; Passports received back: 16 July 2015
VISA ISSUED...
26 june 2015
LANDED..........
Hopefully in November
Why they "might" send fingerprint request? It's not required for all applicants? And I assume I need to be present in Canada to do it, right? So, I need to be in Canada for the fingerprints, test, and oath. Not as easy as I thought it might be.
There are various reasons for IRCC to send you a FP request, the most prime one being a criminal in your area matching your birth date.
And no, you don't need to be in Canada to submit FP, all developed countries and most developing countries have the offices where you can do that. depends on where you are

Reactions: jc94 and CaBeaver

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
I searched for the spreadsheet for 2018. The first few applicants seem to get their applications processed fairly quickly (~6 months) with very few people with FP requests. But later in the spreadsheet, there are applicants who sent their applications as early as Jan. 2018, and still waiting for the oath!! This is more than 15 months!! Very long.

The test invitation from the date the invitation is sent varies between 10 days to a month. The oath ranges between 2 weeks and a month. This is very tight time to arrange a travel.

I have a question, since I am not familiar with the citizenship procedure yet, and I already opened this thread about citizenship. The interview test is what exactly? Is this where they will ask you about Canada or they ask other questions as well like what have you been doing ... etc?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
For @CaBeaver, there should be enough information here, above, now, for you to reasonably, rationally assess your situation and make reasonably informed decisions, FOR YOU, about how to proceed from here, including whether to work abroad. While it has been alluded to, one additional point warrants some emphasis: if you do plan to go abroad to work while the application is pending, BETTER to have at least a somewhat larger margin over the minimum. Many suggest a week or two minimum for any applicant. I lean toward at least a month (that is, I lean toward making it easy for a total stranger bureaucrat to feel comfortable concluding there is no presence issue). If you are headed abroad, adding as much more to that as you practically can would be prudent. Not for-sure necessary, but in terms of risk-avoidance, or to be more precise, risk-reduction, making a solid impression that there should be no doubt about meeting the actual physical presence requirement tends to be insurance worth the cost.

The interview test is what exactly? Is this where they will ask you about Canada or they ask other questions as well like what have you been doing ... etc?
All adult citizenship applicants must undergo a "Program Integrity Interview," which is ordinarily done at the same event where the knowledge of Canada test is administered. There are multiple topics about the test here.

There are also several other topics in which the PI Interview is discussed in detail.

IRCC information about the interview, the most relevant Program Delivery Instructions (PDIs), can be found here:

For Citizenship: Interviewing adult applicants see https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/decisions/interviewing-adult-applicants.html

For Identity documents applicants must provide at citizenship interviews, hearings, and tests see https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/identity/identity-documents-applicants-must-provide-interviews-hearings-tests.html

Generally the interview is a VERIFICATION screening, including verification of identity and language ability (if not exempt), verification of the required supporting documents, and typically a few questions just to cross-check some of the applicant's basic information. For example, current employment is often asked about . . . regarding which, employment abroad would need to be disclosed, of course, BUT if you are there and otherwise qualified, that fact does NOT disqualify you . . . and being honest about it is far better than trying to conceal it. If, in particular, it is a temporary employment, honestly disclosing that could help.

NOTE: BE WARY of glib, superficial generalities oft time posted about the process. Note, for example, as it appears you have already discerned regarding timelines, some rather FALSE information tends to get posted here.

On average its 2-4 weeks between test and oath (again, check the spreadsheet for past 4 months).
Not sure which spreadsheet you are referring to. NOT a reliable one if its data indicates an "average" of just two to four weeks between test dates and oath dates.

NOT even close even if you mistakenly referred to "average" but meant the median.

There are scores of applicants reporting more than FOUR months passing after test before being scheduled for the oath, many STILL not scheduled for the oath . . . And, note, just one such applicant, with four months between test and oath, would require that three others have a SAME-DAY oath to get the "AVERAGE" down to four weeks, let alone less than four weeks.

This forum is rife with reports of many MONTHS between the test and oath. The spreadsheets I am familiar with have scores of applicants who have already taken the test MONTHS ago and are still waiting for the oath.

In particular, consider the following spreadsheet (which has enough detail consistent over time to give it some credibility):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16cfQUVB3j56QktacolbsAxpNlOrvk2uFGZzm_ZFCnfg/edit#gid=45274290

There are FIFTY applicants reporting a test date LAST YEAR and still NO OATH.

Looking at those who have reported taking the oath since September 1 last year, to date, of the 128 participants reporting their test and oath dates, MORE THAN A HUNDRED REPORT MORE THAN SIX WEEKS BETWEEN TEST AND OATH, only a dozen report a month or less, and the vast majority of them report more than two months. Reports of three and four months are common, and even six or more months is not uncommon.

Perspective: the number for whom the wait between test and oath dates is more than two months is TEN TIMES the number who are scheduled for the oath in what you report is the average, two to four weeks. (I realize that among the fifty for whom no oath date is reported, some of those likely have taken the oath but have not updated their information.)

Which leads to one reason why my posts tend to go long. Clarifying and correcting misleading and false information like this. For this purpose actual reasoning and sources is far better than engaging in any back-and-forth XX is true, no XX is false.

The more common reason for the length of my posts is that my observations are generally about more complex situations typically involving multiple variables depending on diverse situations and quite often subject to nuances relative to differences in the individually specific circumstances. No venting. Just an effort to be helpful.

Especially given the extent to which some so casually post what is misleading or utterly NOT true . . . like false statistics about the "average" timeline between the test and oath being between two and four weeks. (Again, even the median timeline is a matter of multiple MONTHS.)

Especially given the extent to which there is a tendency to offer declarative propositions which even if true for many, or even for most, are broad generalizations NOT true for a significant number and which fail to adequately alert others of the potential pitfalls and real RISKS.

This particular subject is a prime example. Consider the responses initially offered here, BEFORE my post, in response to the question: "How could [working abroad after applying] affect my application?"

"It won't affect your application ."

"You are overthinking everything. Your citizenship application (and thus qualification) is hinged on your ELIGIBILITY PERIOD. If you fulfill residency requirement within your eligibility period then you are fine."

"Of course it's OK. . . . [IRCC] is not allowed to take this factor [absence after applying] into consideration."​

Between the query being posed last Friday, and my response posted Monday evening, NO ONE offered any hint of the REAL RISKS involved, and NO one else corrected the erroneous statement that IRCC cannot take this factor into consideration (IT CAN, and historically it often has).

And the stream of false information continues still, such as your utterly NOT true claim that the average time between test and oath is just two to four weeks.

Leaving Canada after applying involves REAL RISKS. Just the practical, logistical risks can be daunting depending on where in the world the applicant is headed. How this can affect the decision-making of total stranger bureaucrats is a more difficult issue BUT there is for sure SOME RISK it can influence how the decision-maker assesses the facts . . . with much variability again depending on the individual applicant's own specific situation.

Those who come here with genuine questions and concerns deserve more than glib, superficial generalities which fail to acknowledge let alone caution applicants of real world, actual, practical risks. This forum is rife with those who plunged into the process without doing their homework and are now suffering the consequences; for those who are qualified hopefully that means just some inconvenience and delay.

In contrast @CaBeaver appears to have approached the process reasonably, conscientiously, having done some homework and continuing to do some homework, and here posing a genuine question for which any bumper-sticker tweet-pop it-will-be-fine answer is, at best, misleading. Or, as some of the posts here reflect, outright false.

Odds may indeed lean toward it-will-be-fine BUT that depends on some particular facts AND anyone who is any good at playing the odds wants to see as many of the cards in play as possible. Those who know how to play know the odds are with those making INFORMED decisions.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Based on all of this, if someone doesn't have a job in Canada, going abroad after applying is at best costly and inconvenient. For me coming to Canada 3 times from where I would be living/working would cost me as much as living in Canada for 6-7 months, and I would need to arrange a flight in as little as 7 days if I wasn't lucky regarding the time between the invitation and the test/oath!! The problem is that I have a job offer now (although it's temporary, and thus it's not very tempting, but I need the job), not after I apply. I may try to see if they would accept for me to start after I apply, but not guaranteed. So, I probably need to let go one of the two: either the job opportunity or the citizenship. It's a VERY difficult decision. I have stayed in Canada despite the lack of opportunities, because I was hoping to find something adequate to my qualifications and settle down in Canada eventually. But it's not happening.

Last edited:

nanni_doc

Star Member
Jun 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
warsawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 December 2014
Doc's Request.
13 May 2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
dont know
Med's Request
14 May 2015
Med's Done....
15 May 2015
Interview........
Passport Req..
7th July 2015; passports submitted: 7July 2015; Passports received back: 16 July 2015
VISA ISSUED...
26 june 2015
LANDED..........
Hopefully in November
For @CaBeaver, there should be enough information here, above, now, for you to reasonably, rationally assess your situation and make reasonably informed decisions, FOR YOU, about how to proceed from here, including whether to work abroad. While it has been alluded to, one additional point warrants some emphasis: if you do plan to go abroad to work while the application is pending, BETTER to have at least a somewhat larger margin over the minimum. Many suggest a week or two minimum for any applicant. I lean toward at least a month (that is, I lean toward making it easy for a total stranger bureaucrat to feel comfortable concluding there is no presence issue). If you are headed abroad, adding as much more to that as you practically can would be prudent. Not for-sure necessary, but in terms of risk-avoidance, or to be more precise, risk-reduction, making a solid impression that there should be no doubt about meeting the actual physical presence requirement tends to be insurance worth the cost.

All adult citizenship applicants must undergo a "Program Integrity Interview," which is ordinarily done at the same event where the knowledge of Canada test is administered. There are multiple topics about the test here.

There are also several other topics in which the PI Interview is discussed in detail.

IRCC information about the interview, the most relevant Program Delivery Instructions (PDIs), can be found here:

For Citizenship: Interviewing adult applicants see https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/decisions/interviewing-adult-applicants.html

For Identity documents applicants must provide at citizenship interviews, hearings, and tests see https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/canadian-citizenship/admininistration/identity/identity-documents-applicants-must-provide-interviews-hearings-tests.html

Generally the interview is a VERIFICATION screening, including verification of identity and language ability (if not exempt), verification of the required supporting documents, and typically a few questions just to cross-check some of the applicant's basic information. For example, current employment is often asked about . . . regarding which, employment abroad would need to be disclosed, of course, BUT if you are there and otherwise qualified, that fact does NOT disqualify you . . . and being honest about it is far better than trying to conceal it. If, in particular, it is a temporary employment, honestly disclosing that could help.

NOTE: BE WARY of glib, superficial generalities oft time posted about the process. Note, for example, as it appears you have already discerned regarding timelines, some rather FALSE information tends to get posted here.

Not sure which spreadsheet you are referring to. NOT a reliable one if its data indicates an "average" of just two to four weeks between test dates and oath dates.

NOT even close even if you mistakenly referred to "average" but meant the median.

There are scores of applicants reporting more than FOUR months passing after test before being scheduled for the oath, many STILL not scheduled for the oath . . . And, note, just one such applicant, with four months between test and oath, would require that three others have a SAME-DAY oath to get the "AVERAGE" down to four weeks, let alone less than four weeks.

This forum is rife with reports of many MONTHS between the test and oath. The spreadsheets I am familiar with have scores of applicants who have already taken the test MONTHS ago and are still waiting for the oath.

In particular, consider the following spreadsheet (which has enough detail consistent over time to give it some credibility):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16cfQUVB3j56QktacolbsAxpNlOrvk2uFGZzm_ZFCnfg/edit#gid=45274290

There are FIFTY applicants reporting a test date LAST YEAR and still NO OATH.

Looking at those who have reported taking the oath since September 1 last year, to date, of the 128 participants reporting their test and oath dates, MORE THAN A HUNDRED REPORT MORE THAN SIX WEEKS BETWEEN TEST AND OATH, only a dozen report a month or less, and the vast majority of them report more than two months. Reports of three and four months are common, and even six or more months is not uncommon.

Perspective: the number for whom the wait between test and oath dates is more than two months is TEN TIMES the number who are scheduled for the oath in what you report is the average, two to four weeks. (I realize that among the fifty for whom no oath date is reported, some of those likely have taken the oath but have not updated their information.)

Which leads to one reason why my posts tend to go long. Clarifying and correcting misleading and false information like this. For this purpose actual reasoning and sources is far better than engaging in any back-and-forth XX is true, no XX is false.

The more common reason for the length of my posts is that my observations are generally about more complex situations typically involving multiple variables depending on diverse situations and quite often subject to nuances relative to differences in the individually specific circumstances. No venting. Just an effort to be helpful.

Especially given the extent to which some so casually post what is misleading or utterly NOT true . . . like false statistics about the "average" timeline between the test and oath being between two and four weeks. (Again, even the median timeline is a matter of multiple MONTHS.)

Especially given the extent to which there is a tendency to offer declarative propositions which even if true for many, or even for most, are broad generalizations NOT true for a significant number and which fail to adequately alert others of the potential pitfalls and real RISKS.

This particular subject is a prime example. Consider the responses initially offered here, BEFORE my post, in response to the question: "How could [working abroad after applying] affect my application?"

"It won't affect your application ."

"You are overthinking everything. Your citizenship application (and thus qualification) is hinged on your ELIGIBILITY PERIOD. If you fulfill residency requirement within your eligibility period then you are fine."

"Of course it's OK. . . . [IRCC] is not allowed to take this factor [absence after applying] into consideration."​

Between the query being posed last Friday, and my response posted Monday evening, NO ONE offered any hint of the REAL RISKS involved, and NO one else corrected the erroneous statement that IRCC cannot take this factor into consideration (IT CAN, and historically it often has).

And the stream of false information continues still, such as your utterly NOT true claim that the average time between test and oath is just two to four weeks.

Leaving Canada after applying involves REAL RISKS. Just the practical, logistical risks can be daunting depending on where in the world the applicant is headed. How this can affect the decision-making of total stranger bureaucrats is a more difficult issue BUT there is for sure SOME RISK it can influence how the decision-maker assesses the facts . . . with much variability again depending on the individual applicant's own specific situation.

Those who come here with genuine questions and concerns deserve more than glib, superficial generalities which fail to acknowledge let alone caution applicants of real world, actual, practical risks. This forum is rife with those who plunged into the process without doing their homework and are now suffering the consequences; for those who are qualified hopefully that means just some inconvenience and delay.

In contrast @CaBeaver appears to have approached the process reasonably, conscientiously, having done some homework and continuing to do some homework, and here posing a genuine question for which any bumper-sticker tweet-pop it-will-be-fine answer is, at best, misleading. Or, as some of the posts here reflect, outright false.

Odds may indeed lean toward it-will-be-fine BUT that depends on some particular facts AND anyone who is any good at playing the odds wants to see as many of the cards in play as possible. Those who know how to play know the odds are with those making INFORMED decisions.
Clearly you are glass half-empty kinda guy, I would ask you to calm down but clearly its not happening. Instead of writing a book where a simple suggestion would suffice and using thesaurus for heavy words all you need to do give genuine advice. OP will do whatever is best for them and there is no point in a pissing competition.

I give only that advice that I would be willing to take, I too am outside of Canada while my application is in process, and what advice I am giving is based on genuine inquiries and discussion with experienced people.

There are no risks, this is not a third world country, everything here is done by the book of law and the law states your absence after eligibility period will not impact your application. Plain and simple!

nanni_doc

Star Member
Jun 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
warsawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 December 2014
Doc's Request.
13 May 2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
dont know
Med's Request
14 May 2015
Med's Done....
15 May 2015
Interview........
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
26 june 2015
LANDED..........
Hopefully in November

figaro2

Jan 12, 2016
Argentina
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Mexico
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-01-2016
Doc's Request.
15-01-2017
Nomination.....
08-02-2017
AOR Received.
28-03-2017
Med's Done....
20-07-2017
Passport Req..
3 nov 2017
LANDED..........
31 01 2018
If you can find a way to stay till u get ur passeport!
I advice to stay i mean you are allready doing your best
Few more months!

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Few more months!
Nobody knows how much “more” are those “few more months”
18 months and counting
If you have something important to pursue, don’t put your life on hold just for this

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Few more months!
The thing is that I will be eligible at the end of this year, and I then have to wait between 6-10 months on average for the processing time. This totals to about 14-18 months if everything goes right. I barely can make it to submit my application even with some help, as I have been unemployed for a while. I am still applying for jobs though, and hopefully things will change. Even with a part-time job that pays the bills, I will stay.

figaro2

Jan 12, 2016
Argentina
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Mexico
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-01-2016
Doc's Request.
15-01-2017
Nomination.....
08-02-2017
AOR Received.
28-03-2017
Med's Done....
20-07-2017
Passport Req..
3 nov 2017
LANDED..........
31 01 2018
It s challenging
I am here since last february and no job! All ii find survival jobs or call centers! I m struggling with this as many of the new comers and thinking maybe toronto isn t a great choice.. because ok job opportunities are big but also competition

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
It s challenging
I am here since last february and no job! All ii find survival jobs or call centers! I m struggling with this as many of the new comers and thinking maybe toronto isn t a great choice.. because ok job opportunities are big but also competition
Feb. 2018 or 2019? What is your major? and what survival jobs you have been doing?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
With apologies to @CaBeaver for the tangent . . . but to not lose sight of the real world contingencies which many immigrants sometimes encounter on their path to get established in the life they strive for . . .

Clearly you are glass half-empty kinda guy . . .
I make a concerted effort to offer OBJECTIVE information. I try to be sensitive to how this or that information might affect psychological or emotional feelings (like feeling good a glass is half-full) but to be clear, in objective terms a glass-half-empty is the same as a glass-half-full.

That noted, generally I steer wide of precisely quantifying risks . . . because it is virtually impossible to realistically or reliably quantify the probabilities due to the variability of risk factors and the extent to which different details can affect how things go.

In contrast, it is an outright disservice to give glib, superficial answers which fail to acknowledge actual risks. Those who have genuine questions about how this or that circumstance might affect their path to citizenship deserve honest, frank, and practical information.

It is simply NOT true that there are NO risks involved in living abroad after applying.

Indeed, even for those who never leave Canada while their application is pending, while the risks are quite low for the vast majority of qualified applicants, for many if not most there are SOME risks . . . even if only the risks related to making mistakes, or even missing a notice to attend a scheduled event due to travel WITHIN Canada let alone abroad.

Thus . . .

There are no risks, this is not a third world country, everything here is done by the book of law and the law states your absence after eligibility period will not impact your application. Plain and simple!
Actually, Canada is in the REAL world, where all sorts of STUFF-HAPPENS, where there is some degree of risk in just about anything anyone does. Those who are prudent and realistic recognize contingencies and the parameters of risk, and approach their decision-making with a sensible degree of risk-management . . . which demands being curious enough to learn what the risks are and what can influence the amount of risk, both towards minimizing risks as practical, but also to have contingency plans in place . . . to engage in basic, practical what-if preparations.

As to your insistence there are "no risks" involved in leaving Canada while the application is pending . . . try explaining that to the following applicant:

Hi folks! Here's my timeline:
App sent: Nov 13, 2017
App received: Nov 16, 2017
AoR: Jan 23, 2018
In Process: Feb 8, 2018
FP Request: Jul 13, 2018
FP sent: Jul 14, 2018
Test invite: Oct 26, 2018
Test date: Nov 13, 2018
Processing office: Mississauga, ON

Now here's the issue - I was out of the country for most of October & November last year, and so before I went away, I PROACTIVELY contacted IRCC through webform and told them not to invite me for a test between my travel dates. They STILL invited me, right in middle of my travel dates! I contacted them yet again through webform that I am unable to attend the test. All I received was a computer-generated acknowledgement for the webform thing.

When I came back to the country, I contacted IRCC, the agent advised I am in queue for a new test date. I am still waiting. I recently received my GCMS notes, which say 'No Show' in the knowledge test field - which is a load of bullcrap!

I contacted IRCC again, and they said there's nothing you or anybody can do right now, just wait because you're in queue. I mean...it's been 5 months since my last test invite, which I should've never received for that date in the first place!

Aren't they supposed to give you a new test date right away or within certain number of days if you let them know of your inability to attend before the scheduled event?

Sorry, this was a bit of a rant, I know. But any info or advise would be helpful. Thanks!

Last edited:

gsmo12

Sep 24, 2011
I havent gotten the test invite yet, and yes the time they give is between 2 to 4 weeks, definitely not less than 2 weeks. You can check the spread sheet for more details.
Hi , can you pls update about your situation , do they asked you why you left Canada after application. Is this affect your processing time.
.Do you think it is safe to leave Canada after application?
Thank you