+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada After Applying for Citizenship

natnat88

Jul 21, 2023
Hello everyone, I'm currently a PR and I have a question regarding my plans for work-related relocation after applying for citizenship. Is it permissible for me to move to another country a few months AFTER submitting my citizenship application?

I want to clarify that I will ensure my presence in Canada if needed, for example, in case of an interview or the oath ceremony, so that won't be an issue. I'm just curious if immigration authorities check whether I remain in Canada after submitting my citizenship application or not. Your insights on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! :)

SoHunny

Apr 25, 2019
it is not an issue, particularly now. Processing time ranges from 3-5 months. If processing time was 18 months, then I think it may be an issue. When does your PR card expire?

natnat88

Jul 21, 2023
it is not an issue, particularly now. Processing time ranges from 3-5 months. If processing time was 18 months, then I think it may be an issue. When does your PR card expire?
Hello, thank you for your response. I recently received my PR in April 2023, and according to the Presence Calculator, I'll be eligible to apply for Citizenship around mid-2025. While I understand it's a lengthy process, I'm currently in a dilemma. I'm contemplating whether I can relocate after I apply for Citizenship and whether it would impact my application.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello, thank you for your response. I recently received my PR in April 2023, and according to the Presence Calculator, I'll be eligible to apply for Citizenship around mid-2025. While I understand it's a lengthy process, I'm currently in a dilemma. I'm contemplating whether I can relocate after I apply for Citizenship and whether it would impact my application.
It's too early to stress about it.

Reactions: Mounat and yvreats

natnat88

Jul 21, 2023
It's too early to stress about it.
I'm currently torn between the options of applying for citizenship or relocating sooner. That's why I'm inquiring now to assess my possibilities. If it turns out I can relocate after applying in mid-2025, then I'm more inclined to wait. However, if it's not permissible to move after applying, I might consider relocating sooner. I'm gathering all the information to make an informed decision.

Thank you.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I'm currently torn between the options of applying for citizenship or relocating sooner. That's why I'm inquiring now to assess my possibilities. If it turns out I can relocate after applying in mid-2025, then I'm more inclined to wait. However, if it's not permissible to move after applying, I might consider relocating sooner. I'm gathering all the information to make an informed decision.

Thank you.
Many in the forum moved after applying but they faced delays in the application processing. It may not happen to all but then people do share the negative impact more than the positive one. Test and Oath are two things in which your presence is needed. Test is allowed to be given from outside Canada. Oath is something for which they predominantly expect you to be in Canada. There have been few exceptions but the reasons for the same is not widely shared. There are cases where Oath was not scheduled till they gave a proof that they returned to Canada and even after you do, how much time it will take to schedule your oath would not be clear.

So it is not something which is not allowed but there seems to be some complications which you should be prepared to handle.

natnat88

Jul 21, 2023
Many in the forum moved after applying but they faced delays in the application processing. It may not happen to all but then people do share the negative impact more than the positive one. Test and Oath are two things in which your presence is needed. Test is allowed to be given from outside Canada. Oath is something for which they predominantly expect you to be in Canada. There have been few exceptions but the reasons for the same is not widely shared. There are cases where Oath was not scheduled till they gave a proof that they returned to Canada and even after you do, how much time it will take to schedule your oath would not be clear.

So it is not something which is not allowed but there seems to be some complications which you should be prepared to handle.
Hello there, I appreciate your detailed response, and it's immensely helpful for me to make an informed decision. Thank you so much :)

GFLiam

Nov 29, 2016
One of the key things that you needed to show in the citizenship application is the prospect of staying in the country and you need to show evidence of that. If there is a good chance that you will be relocating (and it's 2025 that we are talking about??), there is definitely a level or risks involved.

Also, I disagree with another member about citizenship processing times to be 3-5 months. If that's the case, why are citizenship applications threads prior to May 2023 still so active?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
One of the key things that you needed to show in the citizenship application is the prospect of staying in the country and you need to show evidence of that. If there is a good chance that you will be relocating (and it's 2025 that we are talking about??), there is definitely a level or risks involved.

Also, I disagree with another member about citizenship processing times to be 3-5 months. If that's the case, why are citizenship applications threads prior to May 2023 still so active?
The things you are talking about is "intent to reside". As of June 2017, the “intent to reside” has been repealed. You no longer need to state that you intend to reside in Canada as a citizen. Check "Intention to reside in Canada" iin - https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/c-29/fulltext.html

Official answer about leaving - https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=911&top=5

bas12

Apr 20, 2018

My guess is because the backlog (applications that have been submitted more than a year ago) is processed in last in first out order. The longer you've been in the backlog, the longer you will be stuck in it.

A lot of new ones do get done super fast, though I personally haven't checked what proportion actually gets done in 3-5 months.

GFLiam

Nov 29, 2016
The things you are talking about is "intent to reside". As of June 2017, the “intent to reside” has been repealed. You no longer need to state that you intend to reside in Canada as a citizen. Check "Intention to reside in Canada" iin - https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/c-29/fulltext.html

Official answer about leaving - https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=911&top=5
You are correct. For some reason I kept thinking I've filled that out before...probably for the PR application and not the citizenship one.

GFLiam

Nov 29, 2016
My guess is because the backlog (applications that have been submitted more than a year ago) is processed in last in first out order. The longer you've been in the backlog, the longer you will be stuck in it.

A lot of new ones do get done super fast, though I personally haven't checked what proportion actually gets done in 3-5 months.
I don't think it has to do with how long in the backlog, I feel it has more to do with which processing office is handling the case.

bas12

Apr 20, 2018
I don't think it has to do with how long in the backlog, I feel it has more to do with which processing office is handling the case.
I think all of them have the same quota of at least 80% in 12 months, more is better. There might be some local variation, and I heard that some offices were slower or faster than others during a few years, but overall the same offices are usually very efficient for new applications, while the old ones are completely abandoned for months or years.

Calgary222

May 15, 2023
Try to search Sydney in this forum and see how many people disagree with Sydney being fast
If you know how to read you can see that I wrote 'Sydney is pretty quick in processing newer applications.' I never stated that Sydney is quick in processing the older applications like mine who have been stuck for the last 11 months!