+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving after Landing? What constitutes 'days' towards Permanent Residency?

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
thank you for your answer, Karlshammar. appreciate it a lot.

thaihubbie

Sep 6, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-12-2010
File Transfer...
29-01-11
Med's Done....
12-11-2010
Passport Req..
29-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2011
I want to double and triple check that I really understand this. Please bear with me. If I apply to sponsor my husband and we are approved and then he lands in Canada and he gives the officer an address of where we will be staying, his PR card will be mailed to him approximately 30 days later? If we are not concerned with Citizenship at the moment, we can leave Canada and he will retain his PR as long as he can prove we are living together abroad? We can then return at a later date when we are ready to settle down?
This is crucial to my life plans because my parents are elderly and I really want my husband to meet them before it's too too late.... .

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are correct. As long as you are a Canadian citizen the days he spends with you abroad will count toward his PR retention (though not if you are a PR, and either way he cannot count the days toward citizenship).

So as long as you are a Canadian citizen and he stays with you abroad he can keep his PR status indefinitely.

thaihubbie said:
I want to double and triple check that I really understand this. Please bear with me. If I apply to sponsor my husband and we are approved and then he lands in Canada and he gives the officer an address of where we will be staying, his PR card will be mailed to him approximately 30 days later? If we are not concerned with Citizenship at the moment, we can leave Canada and he will retain his PR as long as he can prove we are living together abroad? We can then return at a later date when we are ready to settle down?
This is crucial to my life plans because my parents are elderly and I really want my husband to meet them before it's too too late.... .

thaihubbie

Sep 6, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-12-2010
File Transfer...
29-01-11
Med's Done....
12-11-2010
Passport Req..
29-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2011
Thanks KarlShammar,
The 30 days waiting period for the PR card: Is this is a minimum staying time or would it still be possible to leave before 30 days and then my family mailed the card to us abroad? or is it needed when leaving Canada to retain the PR?

mrsJDL

Dec 6, 2009
Suin said:
how they know that PR left the country? do they keep any records of departure and arrival?

does it mean that if somebody stays in Canada continuously without leaving 3 years long, he can apply for citizenship right away?
they have a way of knowing. my brother's friend applied for citizenship and forgot to include one of his travels outside Canada. he failed because he was still weeks short for the eligibility requirement. he forgot about his trip but THEY did not!

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The PR card is only needed to travel back to Canada. Beyond that is has no purpose (except as proof of status and identification).

Your family can certainly do that, however, if the border officer knows that he will not be staying at that address they will not send the card until he provides them with a permanent Canadian address.

thaihubbie said:
Thanks KarlShammar,
The 30 days waiting period for the PR card: Is this is a minimum staying time or would it still be possible to leave before 30 days and then my family mailed the card to us abroad? or is it needed when leaving Canada to retain the PR?

thaihubbie

Sep 6, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-12-2010
File Transfer...
29-01-11
Med's Done....
12-11-2010
Passport Req..
29-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2011
Now we are officially in a Catch 22 situation. Someone can land then leave Canada and retain their PR but how do they prove that they will staying at ANY Canadian address permanently IF they have a return ticket in their pocket?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thaihubbie said:
Now we are officially in a Catch 22 situation. Someone can land then leave Canada and retain their PR but how do they prove that they will staying at ANY Canadian address permanently IF they have a return ticket in their pocket?
1) They don't tell the IO they have a return ticket in their pocket unless the IO asks.

2) If the IO asks and refuses the address given based on the person not being there when the PR will arrive in the mail, get a form you can fax to CIC with a change of address and fax it before leaving Canada.

3) If that doesn't work, apply for a PR travel document at the embassy before going to Canada the next time and during that trip, try for the PR card again.